Who is India's best ever ODI spinner?

Majestic

The World Cup is done now so we can debate it.

The contenders are :

Anil Kumble, AVG 30, Econ 4.3

Harbhajan Singh, AVG 33, Econ 4.3

Ravindra Jadeja, AVG 36, Econ 4.8

Ravi Ashwin,, AVG 33, Econ 4.9

Kuldeep Yadav, AVG 26, Econ 5.1

World Cup stats :-

Kumble 31 wickets, Avg 22

Jadeja 27 wickets, Avg 31

Kuldeep 21 wickets, Avg 36

Harbhajan 20 wickets, Avg 40

Ashwin 18 wickets, Avg 25

I think Kuldeep will be by the time he is done. 

Having watched the entire career of Kumble, I would say he was very important to India's cause while he was playing. I would pick him for now.

Also, can we count Sachin ? Sachin would have taken way more wickets if he bowled regularly. He has taken more 4 wicket plus hauls than Harbhajan and Ashwin in ODI. I felt he was our original mystery bowler. Could bowl whatever he wanted and spin on any surface. he definitely lacked some control as not being a regular bowler. 

Kumble seems a very safe option. He had a good World Cup in 1996.

Kuldeep is a better wicket taker and impact player but he is a bit like Siraj, i.e., can have really good days and can have really bad days too which could cost you the match.

Jadeja as bowl A/R is a very safe option again. But his batting lacks impact whenever it matters.

Kuldeep ruined his legacy this WC, by far the worst bowler in the final and that will always be a black mark, so Kumble for me. Kuldeep has the potential to surpass Kumble but I doubt his mental fortitude. Once he is under attack he loses the plot completely......he has definitely improved in that regard since 2019 but still long way to go before he can be considered the best. 

But but but Kumble had it easier in his day. With modern ODI rules even he would struggle, and Ashwin/Jaddu/Kuldeep would have done very well in the 90s. 

Edited by Gollum
21 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Kuldeep ruined his legacy this WC, by far the worst bowler in the final and that will always be a black mark, so Kumble for me. Kuldeep has the potential to surpass Kumble but I doubt his mental fortitude. Once he is under attack he loses the plot completely......he has definitely improved in that regard since 2019 but still long way to go before he can be considered the best. 

But but but Kumble had it easier in his day. With modern ODI rules even he would struggle, and Ashwin/Jaddu/Kuldeep would have done very well in the 90s. 

Kuldeep did lose the plot but remember highest wicket taker Zampa looked toothless as well during the day when pitch had slowness...  Managed a scalp of a Chris Martin Clone Bumrah in final over. 

Rohit's defensive Captaincy was to blame as well...  With no attacking field sets forcing him to go defensive. 

I hope Kuldeep has a redemption in coming WT20...  He will be crucial on those pitches. 

8 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Kuldeep did lose the plot but remember highest wicket taker Zampa looked toothless as well during the day when pitch had slowness...  Managed a scalp of a Chris Martin Clone Bumrah in final over. 

Rohit's defensive Captaincy was to blame as well...  With no attacking field sets forcing him to go defensive. 

I hope Kuldeep has a redemption in coming WT20...  He will be crucial on those pitches. 

Kuldeep, if he plays, will get belted in the WT20. And India as well, a humiliating first round exit awaits a la 2021 UAE.....awful memories from ICC events in WI as an Indian fan. And yeah SKY will make the ultimate fool of himself there, his silly ramps, scoops, pick ups won't work on those pitches and he is too brainless to figure these things out. 

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Kuldeep, if he plays, will get belted in the WT20. And India as well, a humiliating first round exit awaits a la 2021 UAE.....awful memories from ICC events in WI as an Indian fan. And yeah SKY will make the ultimate fool of himself there, his silly ramps, scoops, pick ups won't work on those pitches and he is too brainless to figure these things out. 

Completely agree. In 2010 T20 WC too our batsmen failed to put bat on ball. Same in 2007.

Even in last 2 tours none of our batsmen scored big runs there.

WI pitches suit our batsmen the least I think. 

2022 was our best chance in Aus as the true bounce pitches would have suited our batsmen most. But we had meek Kela and Rohit ruining every innings start.:facepalm:

20 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Reckon many Indian games would be in US as marketing purpose to cash in on Indian diaspora.  India -Pak is in New York I guess or LA? 

Those could be dodgy slow pitches.  Lot of unknowns.  Better to go with low expectations though.  Kuldeep did well in WI..  Was unhittable for even rampaging Pooran.  Not a lost cause.  His T20I numbers are miles better than Rashid Khan too. 

And Finals at Barbados lol...  Fastest pitch in Carribean. 

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Reckon many Indian games would be in US as marketing purpose to cash in on Indian diaspora.  India -Pak is in New York I guess or LA? 

Those could be dodgy slow pitches.  Lot of unknowns.  Better to go with low expectations though.  Kuldeep did well in WI..  Was unhittable for even rampaging Pooran.  Not a lost cause.  His T20I numbers are miles better than Rashid Khan too. 

And Finals at Barbados lol...  Fastest pitch in Carribean. 

Kuldeep Bumrah and spam with allrounders.

52 minutes ago, SRT_1OO said:

If you include mid 30 avgng Jadeja and Ashwin, then not including Chahal is a crime.

Keep your personal bias aside or dnt create a serious thread

Chahal avg 27 eco 5.2

Jadeja, Ashwin won us the 2013 CT. Ashwin did well in 2015 WC, Jaddu this time.

Chahal OTOH cost us the 2019 WC. 

Edited by Gollum