How long is indian tail !!!

velu

13 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

But your bowler has to be extraordinary to get away with poor batting skills. 

Not in Tests. You pick top 4 bowlers first irrespective of batting. Batting is bonus. 6 bats are enough to make runs.

33 minutes ago, Lord said:

Batting is bonus. 6 bats are enough to make runs.

Not these days, whilst you don't expect them to be Gillespie or Warne level as tailenders but surely Umesh or Shami & yeah those two are miles better than pour current lot. You know what lost us the 2018 Eng series away? A major part was our dropped catches for sure but so was our non-existent tail :whack2:

That changed in 2021 & we did much better.

6 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Not these days, whilst you don't expect them to be Gillespie or Warne level as tailenders but surely Umesh or Shami & yeah those two are miles better than pour current lot. You know what lost us the 2018 Eng series away? A major part was our dropped catches for sure but so was our non-existent tail :whack2:

That changed in 2021 & we did much better.

What I'm saying is you cant select poor bowlers because they can bat a bit. If top bowlers can bat thats obviously better. Same Bumrah scored in England but failing here.

We wouldn't have played Siraj in that case and not bowled SA out cheaply. Instead attack would have been Bumrah,Thakur,Unadkat etc

I'd take current lot anyday.

10 minutes ago, Lord said:

What I'm saying is you cant select poor bowlers because they can bat a bit. If top bowlers can bat thats obviously better. Same Bumrah scored in England but failing here.

We wouldn't have played Siraj in that case and not bowled SA out cheaply. Instead attack would have been Bumrah,Thakur,Unadkat etc

I'd take current lot anyday.

But where you can change is guy like PK who does not do anything with ball or bat.

1 hour ago, Lord said:

Not in Tests. You pick top 4 bowlers first irrespective of batting. Batting is bonus. 6 bats are enough to make runs.

We don't have "top" 4 bowlers. Even during our fast bowling golden era it was always three.  Bumrah, Ishant, Shami. Pandya was briefly our 4th bowler. As a unit they were more potent as each of them were slightly different.  Ishant could hold his bat a bit. So could Shami or Bhuvi. Ashwin or Jadeja could bat a bit. 

From 2016-2019 away record

Screenshot-2024-01-03-140101.png

Edited by vvvslaxman
1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

We don't have "top" 4 bowlers. Even during our fast bowling golden era it was always three.  Bumrah, Ishant, Shami. Pandya was briefly our 4th bowler. As a unit they were more potent as each of them were slightly different.  Ishant could hold his bat a bit. So could Shami or Bhuvi. Ashwin or Jadeja could bat a bit. 

From 2016-2019 away record

Screenshot-2024-01-03-140101.png

Ofcourse 4th one has to be able to bat at 8, but they were still good bowler like Bhuvi/Pandu and not like current Thakur.

But none of them was picked solely coz they could bat a bit. Bowling quality was first priority.

29 minutes ago, putrevus said:

But where you can change is guy like PK who does not do anything with ball or bat.

Yeah but I guess they backing him. I'd always pick him ahead of 30 yo Mukesh. Hopefully he can do something tomorrow as pitch is suited to him.

2 minutes ago, Lord said:

Ofcourse 4th one has to be able to bat at 8, but they were still good bowler like Bhuvi/Pandu and not like current Thakur.

But none of them was picked solely coz they could bat a bit. Bowling quality was first priority.

Boland > Marsh. But they pick Marsh because Marsh can bat. Batting depth is vital. Bowlers can make mistakes and correct. Batsmen one mistake he is out. Nothing wrong in giving cushion when we tour overseas where run scoring is much harder than wicket taking

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Boland > Marsh. But they pick Marsh because Marsh can bat. Batting depth is vital. Bowlers can make mistakes and correct. Batsmen one mistake he is out. Nothing wrong in giving cushion when we tour overseas where run scoring is much harder than wicket taking

Different roles lol. Marsh is competing with Green

Boland competes with Starc and should actually play ahead of him in Tests. He was instrumental in winning WTC Final for them 

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Hope this Arshin Kulkarni develops well. An opening batsman who can also open the bowling.

Very young, looke like a tall trundler. Him, Bawa,Rana, Hangargekar should be worked upon.

7 minutes ago, Lord said:

Different roles lol. Marsh is competing with Green

Boland competes with Starc and should actually play ahead of him in Tests. He was instrumental in winning WTC Final for them 

Australia has just 3 fast bowlers. India has 4 fast bowlers. Australia's 4th fast bowler could be Boland who is better than Marsh and Green. But their balance will be screwed up.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Australia has just 3 fast bowlers. India has 4 fast bowlers. Australia's 4th fast bowler could be Boland who is better than Marsh and Green. But their balance will be screwed up.

This is the tragedy of Indian cricket.

What started off as a innovative, bold move cos we couldnt take 20 wickets overseas (and i am grateful to kohli for that)...

Has now reduced to a stale approach that reeks horribly.

There is literally no need for 4 pacers in SA plus a spin bowling AR on these pitches.

If you want your 4 pacers at all cost, then drop your spin AR and let them play an all out pace attack with 7 batsmen.

But our team management is too phattu to do that.

Cos deep down they dont have confidence in going with 4 pacers and want that security of a spinner in case over rate goes too bad or runs flow too fast.

Tho an argument can be made that based on past data, Jaddu is likely to outperform a pure batter and going by the walking wickets that we call batsmen....that might very well happen.

I still cant digest Prasidh being selected for this test.

Reports were there that he was struggling to find the right length even in practice.

Edited by sensible-indian
33 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

This is the tragedy of Indian cricket.

What started off as a innovative, bold move cos we couldnt take 20 wickets overseas (and i am grateful to kohli for that)...

Has now reduced to a stale approach that reeks horribly.

There is literally no need for 4 pacers in SA plus a spin bowling AR on these pitches.

If you want your 4 pacers at all cost, then drop your spin AR and let them play an all out pace attack with 7 batsmen.

But our team management is too phattu to do that.

Cos deep down they dont have confidence in going with 4 pacers and want that security of a spinner in case over rate goes too bad or runs flow too fast.

Tho an argument can be made that based on past data, Jaddu is likely to outperform a pure batter and going by the walking wickets that we call batsmen....that might very well happen.

I still cant digest Prasidh being selected for this test.

Reports were there that he was struggling to find the right length even in practice.

Do you having extra batsman like Iyer is the solution.

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Cummins starc are good bowlers

Cummins is great infact. Although he stat pads a tad just like gumrah. But he contributes with bat

So does starc

What's the excuse for rich Indian players? 

Don't they practice batting lmao. 

Number 8 should be able to add 20 runs

To 30 even

Number 9 atleast 10 15 runs

Number 7 itself is a problem for us with fraudeja and ashwin so yea first fix that

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Do you having extra batsman like Iyer is the solution.

Well....we might as well go with 6 bowlers since Iyer is useless.

The point being even Iyer who was horrible scored 30 last test in first innings....now imagine if we have another batsman...

You gotta stack up the batting in bowling friendly wickets...

We could have tried Eashwaran.

On a sidenote, its scary how bad our batting is.

4 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Well....we might as well go with 6 bowlers since Iyer is useless.

The point being even Iyer who was horrible scored 30 last test in first innings....now imagine if we have another batsman...

You gotta stack up the batting in bowling friendly wickets...

We could have tried Eashwaran.

On a sidenote, its scary how bad our batting is.

I agree they needed an extra batsman but to me none of them look any good. They are just making the numbers.

you cannot play 4 number 11s. Ishant won us matches with his batting. It is all about wanting to get better for these young players.

Should have selected Shardul Thakur over Prasidh, he would have won us the match on this pitch with some quick runs and wickets against the run of play.

The management is just too dumb, Thakur has won us more matches in SENA than Zaheer Khan, Javagal Srinath, Mohd Shami,Ravi Ashwin.

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

I agree they needed an extra batsman but to me none of them look any good. They are just making the numbers.

you cannot play 4 number 11s. Ishant won us matches with his batting. It is all about wanting to get better for these young players.

Shardul Thakur is a clutch player, he should have played here instead of Prasidh.