Controversial Topic :- Polygamy and UCC

ravishingravi

On 1/21/2024 at 10:21 PM, bowl_out said:

Here, the cultural norm is for everybody to get married and have kids.

Getting married/having kids isn't a cultural thing, it's a personal choice. And as with any developing/developed economy and rising income levels people find arguably better things than to procreate.

46 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Why do you ask?

Well I am not sure anymore. I have seen way too women fall off the cracks for various reasons and unable to be mainstreamed. Especially single mothers. For me, I don't see a clear precedence apart judeo Christian to harp on monogamy as the only way. 

37 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Well I am not sure anymore. I have seen way too women fall off the cracks for various reasons and unable to be mainstreamed. Especially single mothers. For me, I don't see a clear precedence apart judeo Christian to harp on monogamy as the only way. 

Ease of application of law. And maintaining some semblance of familial structure should be reason enough. 

Not sure why Polygamy would help single mothers any more than Monogamy?

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

Multiple wives/husbands would not solve the Single mother problem. Unless we have monogamy, there is no mutual respect for women/men. It leads to abuse, property disputes and a inequal society. At least , the Hindu society should accept widow remarriage for starters. Let divorcees, widowers, widow openly marry single people to solve that problem. There is so much stigma about widow re-marriage especially in rural areas. I think, urban areas with unknown neighbors , it is not much of a problem. 

Edited by coffee_rules

4 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Monogamy has always been the dominant form of mating for species homo sapiens. 

The reason for this is women - most mothers prefer that the father of their child dedicates his resources to raising her kid only. This is why in polygamous marriages there is significant step-sibling rivalries.