Jump to content

Is Rohit Sharma the Most Pampered Indian Cricketer of All Time?


Is Rohit Sharma the most pampered Indian cricketer of all time?  

17 members have voted

  1. 1. Is Rohit Sharma the most pampered Indian cricketer of all time?

    • Yes
      11
    • No
      6


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Rohit took his time to establish himself but so did Yuvraj Singh .

 

Yuvraj was absolutely mediocre and inconsistent for a good 5 years even in white ball cricket.

 

 

 

 

 

This is exactly the brainwashing that is happening to Indian fans. Selective memory.

 

Yuvraj was the teams best fielder and a really good bowler who acted as 2nd spinner in the team. A bona-fide all-rounder. Way better than Jadeja or Axar.

 

Comparing him to fat Rohit who can't field or bowl is hilarious.

 

Team had faith in Yuvraj because he used to save at least 10-15 runs on the field and bowl some good economical overs.

 

How quickly people forget...

Link to comment

Yuvraj is not better odi player than Rohit. Only idiots think he was a bonafide allrounder. If Yuvraj was bonafide allrounder then Sachin would be Gary Sobers.He bowled in lot more pressure situations.

 

Yuvi had great 2011 world cup but it does not make him better than Rohit Sharma  in whiteball cricket.

 

Some geniuses call Hardik Pandya a great allrounder also. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, BlueBlood said:

 

This is exactly the brainwashing that is happening to Indian fans. Selective memory.

 

Yuvraj was the teams best fielder and a really good bowler who acted as 2nd spinner in the team. A bona-fide all-rounder. Way better than Jadeja or Axar.

 

Comparing him to fat Rohit who can't field or bowl is hilarious.

 

Team had faith in Yuvraj because he used to save at least 10-15 runs on the field and bowl some good economical overs.

 

How quickly people forget...

Unfortunately, you are misremembering Yuvraj's career.

 

In his first 215 ODIs, Yuvraj took only 57 wickets at an average ~42   He bowled in less than half of those matches. 

 

Only from 27 August, 2008 till 2011 CWC final,

 

He took 52 wickets in 59  matches at an average of 32.09 and he bowled in most of those matches.

 

 

In terms of batting , until 06 August, 2005,

 

He averaged 29.1(SR 85) with the bat in 119 matches.

 

After that until CWC final, he averaged 44.29(SR 88)

 

 

So I disagree with what you said. His output was extremely mediocre until 2005 .

 

 

Link to comment

I won't call it pampered. I think he was a well look after cricketer, for the kind of freak batting talent which was on display and most of the fellow cricketers including sachin had highly rated that new kid on the block, this kind of a long rope with a lose leash is quite justified. 

 

Power can be developed with nutrition and gym, but to have that kind of timing was a gods gift. 

Link to comment

To be honest, it is a perfect storm for Rohit as captain, I would not be too harsh on him:

 

*Fitness not great (Test record 2nd to Kohli so selectors have to pick)

*Age nearly 37 (Test record 2nd to Kohli so selectors have to pick)

*Lost WC final In Nov 2023

*Lost MI captaincy recently

*1st Choice players missing from Test Line Up: Pant, Kohli, Shami, KL, Jadeja

 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Unfortunately, you are misremembering Yuvraj's career.

 

In his first 215 ODIs, Yuvraj took only 57 wickets at an average ~42   He bowled in less than half of those matches. 

 

Only from 27 August, 2008 till 2011 CWC final,

 

He took 52 wickets in 59  matches at an average of 32.09 and he bowled in most of those matches.

 

 

In terms of batting , until 06 August, 2005,

 

He averaged 29.1(SR 85) with the bat in 119 matches.

 

After that until CWC final, he averaged 44.29(SR 88)

 

 

So I disagree with what you said. His output was extremely mediocre until 2005 .

 

 

 

This is the issue with stats that you and @putrevus forget.

 

Yuvraj's whole career was in the middle order and that too in an era where even 240 was a great score. He didn't play in the current era where even Ishan Kishan has a double hundred.

 

Even minnow of today teams like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc. were hard to beat.

 

You want to bring up stats check Dhoni's not outs and how it padded his stats. Or Sachin's useless hundreds like his 100th 100 that we lost against Bangladesh.

 

Rohits career started after 2008 when IPL and high scoring matches were the norm. Just look at Rohit and Dhawan career trajectory they are like for like in minnow bashing.

 

In Yuvraj's era middle order bats barring freaks like Michadl Hussey didn't have great records. Look at Raina, Kaif etc.

 

Rohit Sharma's peak is long gone and even in his peak, he couldn't win a world cup for the country. 

 

The sad part about stats is that they don't tell the whole story of IMPACT. Raina match winning innings against Australia in WC 2011 semis for example, is forgotten in stats. Or Michael Bevan's whole career.

 

Sundar's six that made Pant believe in Australia test...

 

If you are going to just look at stats, then your top 3 batsmen will always look good as they will score lions share of the runs. But any idiot with half a brain knows that Travis Head is a more feared and clutch performer than Steven Smith in ODI's even if stats say other wise. Same with Michael Hussey compared to Hayden or Ponting.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, BlueBlood said:

 

This is the issue with stats that you and @putrevus forget.

 

Yuvraj's whole career was in the middle order and that too in an era where even 240 was a great score. He didn't play in the current era where even Ishan Kishan has a double hundred.

 

Even minnow of today teams like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc. were hard to beat.

 

You want to bring up stats check Dhoni's not outs and how it padded his stats. Or Sachin's useless hundreds like his 100th 100 that we lost against Bangladesh.

 

Rohits career started after 2008 when IPL and high scoring matches were the norm. Just look at Rohit and Dhawan career trajectory they are like for like in minnow bashing.

 

In Yuvraj's era middle order bats barring freaks like Michadl Hussey didn't have great records. Look at Raina, Kaif etc.

 

Rohit Sharma's peak is long gone and even in his peak, he couldn't win a world cup for the country. 

 

The sad part about stats is that they don't tell the whole story of IMPACT. Raina match winning innings against Australia in WC 2011 semis for example, is forgotten in stats. Or Michael Bevan's whole career.

 

Sundar's six that made Pant believe in Australia test...

 

If you are going to just look at stats, then your top 3 batsmen will always look good as they will score lions share of the runs. But any idiot with half a brain knows that Travis Head is a more feared and clutch performer than Steven Smith in ODI's even if stats say other wise. Same with Michael Hussey compared to Hayden or Ponting.

You are talking as if Yuvraj was some great player. No he was not a great player in any format. No mater how you dress it up. Yuvraj is not better  odi player than Rohit.

 

Yuvraj was very good player for India.Who had his moments But he never was in same class as Rohit Sharma.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
13 hours ago, BlueBlood said:

 

This is the issue with stats that you and @putrevus forget.

 

Yuvraj's whole career was in the middle order and that too in an era where even 240 was a great score. He didn't play in the current era where even Ishan Kishan has a double hundred.

 

Even minnow of today teams like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc. were hard to beat.

 

You want to bring up stats check Dhoni's not outs and how it padded his stats. Or Sachin's useless hundreds like his 100th 100 that we lost against Bangladesh.

 

Rohits career started after 2008 when IPL and high scoring matches were the norm. Just look at Rohit and Dhawan career trajectory they are like for like in minnow bashing.

 

In Yuvraj's era middle order bats barring freaks like Michadl Hussey didn't have great records. Look at Raina, Kaif etc.

 

Rohit Sharma's peak is long gone and even in his peak, he couldn't win a world cup for the country. 

 

The sad part about stats is that they don't tell the whole story of IMPACT. Raina match winning innings against Australia in WC 2011 semis for example, is forgotten in stats. Or Michael Bevan's whole career.

 

Sundar's six that made Pant believe in Australia test...

 

If you are going to just look at stats, then your top 3 batsmen will always look good as they will score lions share of the runs. But any idiot with half a brain knows that Travis Head is a more feared and clutch performer than Steven Smith in ODI's even if stats say other wise. Same with Michael Hussey compared to Hayden or Ponting.

Problem is the stats do say that Travis Head is a better ODI batter than Steve Smith.

 

Even for that era, Yuvraj was terrible at #4 and #5 until 2005.  You can check the numbers for his contemporaries who batted at those positions and there were at least a dozen better.  He was much better employed as a counter-attacking #6 

I wasn't even comparing with Top 3 batters of that time.

 

World Cups are won when the entire team contributes. 2011 had contributions from everyone. Yuvraj was not the only one performing. Tendulkar was scoring heavily throughout.  We had a batting lineup from to that stepped up at various stages.

 

You can't win a World Cup with SKY and Jadeja at #6 and #7 and the lack of batting depth was exposed brutally in the final.

That's not on Rohit the batter. You can blame Rohit the captain for those selections .

 

Also, if you are going to talk about impact, there was literally no batter who made a bigger impact than Rohit in this World Cup.  

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Problem is the stats do say that Travis Head is a better ODI batter than Steve Smith.

 

Even for that era, Yuvraj was terrible at #4 and #5 until 2005.  You can check the numbers for his contemporaries who batted at those positions and there were at least a dozen better.  He was much better employed as a counter-attacking #6 

I wasn't even comparing with Top 3 batters of that time.

 

World Cups are won when the entire team contributes. 2011 had contributions from everyone. Yuvraj was not the only one performing. Tendulkar was scoring heavily throughout.  We had a batting lineup from to that stepped up at various stages.

 

You can't win a World Cup with SKY and Jadeja at #6 and #7 and the lack of batting depth was exposed brutally in the final.

That's not on Rohit the batter. You can blame Rohit the captain for those selections .

 

Also, if you are going to talk about impact, there was literally no batter who made a bigger impact than Rohit in this World Cup.  

 

 

History will always make things look worse than they are.

 

Yuvraj was a dud in Tests, no one denies it. But so was Rohit.

 

The real metric is T20 and ODI's. Here, contribution matters more.

 

Dhawan and Rohit made hay from minnow bashing of SL, Bang etc.

 

Yuvraj and Raina for example had difficult roles of all-rounders. They may not have taken a ton of wickets but chipped in useful overs and helped with fielding.

 

Comparing an opener in the easiest batting conditions of all time in cricket to a middle order all-rounder who was playing a time when acceleration from 35th over was a necessity which put their wicket at risk is ridiculous.

 

This is precisely why Gill, Jaiswal will have long careers while someone like Rinku Singh will be discarded as "average record" when he is expected to score from ball 1 and take more risks.

 

Put Gill in middle order to perform Rinku Singh's role and we will see how his record and "stats" changes. This is exactly why no one wants to be an all-rounder anymore or middle-order pinch hitter and we have 10 people waiting in the wings for opener position. They can play 20 years like Rohit, Kohli, Sachin etc.

 

Yuvraj was never an average player in ODI's. You can argue players like Kaif, Yusuf Pathan etc. were. Anyone who watched cricket at that time will know that the teams then were unbeatable overseas (Aus, SA, NZ, Eng, even SL in SL).

Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Sandz said:

Yuvraj Singh is a white ball great, as clutch as it gets and a dual world cup winner, without him India would still be waiting for their next world cup victory since 1983. 

The idiot stat padder worshipers never get this 

 

They will bring all kinds of useless stats but forget that Yuvraj's peak 4 years were against ATG teams in which he was used as a clutch batter and bowler.

 

Rohit can score another 10 double centuries and still wouldn't be good enough to shine Yuvraj's shoes.

 

Yuvraj performed when every team had a plan deviced against him. Even Raina with short ball issue gave his best and punched above his weight.

 

The present jokers like SKY, rohit, kohli, jadeja and KL Rahul look like deer in headlights under pressure  and their fans have hundreds of excuses 

Link to comment
11 hours ago, BlueBlood said:

 

History will always make things look worse than they are.

 

Yuvraj was a dud in Tests, no one denies it. But so was Rohit.

 

The real metric is T20 and ODI's. Here, contribution matters more.

 

Dhawan and Rohit made hay from minnow bashing of SL, Bang etc.

 

Yuvraj and Raina for example had difficult roles of all-rounders. They may not have taken a ton of wickets but chipped in useful overs and helped with fielding.

 

Comparing an opener in the easiest batting conditions of all time in cricket to a middle order all-rounder who was playing a time when acceleration from 35th over was a necessity which put their wicket at risk is ridiculous.

 

This is precisely why Gill, Jaiswal will have long careers while someone like Rinku Singh will be discarded as "average record" when he is expected to score from ball 1 and take more risks.

 

Put Gill in middle order to perform Rinku Singh's role and we will see how his record and "stats" changes. This is exactly why no one wants to be an all-rounder anymore or middle-order pinch hitter and we have 10 people waiting in the wings for opener position. They can play 20 years like Rohit, Kohli, Sachin etc.

 

Yuvraj was never an average player in ODI's. You can argue players like Kaif, Yusuf Pathan etc. were. Anyone who watched cricket at that time will know that the teams then were unbeatable overseas (Aus, SA, NZ, Eng, even SL in SL).

NZ was nowhere near as good as now. ditto for Eng. SL was somewhat better than now.

 

overall, Yuvi was not Ind's most consistent MO batter of his own time. that was dravid and then MSD. even in terms of the overused word "impact", likes of MSD had much more impact in that period

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Nobody is denying what Yuvraj accomplished eventually. 

 

He took his own sweet time to establish himself in the Indian team. 

 

He was a liability until 2005 . And he was a liability after 2011 CWC.

 

Great player in between. 

MSD was amazing in this period. raina was also a crucial player. if memory serves me right, dravid also performed well up to mid 2000s. the point being that yuvi was able to grow into his role despite being mediocre for many years thanks to the strong MO that existed in the mid/late 2000s

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Vijy said:

MSD was amazing in this period. raina was also a crucial player. if memory serves me right, dravid also performed well up to mid 2000s. the point being that yuvi was able to grow into his role despite being mediocre for many years thanks to the strong MO that existed in the mid/late 2000s

Thats what. Yuvraj was allowed to grow and establish himself in the team.   Ganguly and John Wright were looking at him as a long term investment which paid off . 

 

It took him over a 100 ODIs but it was well worth it.

 

 

Which is why I think we are a bit too harsh on the younger lot coming through  

 

We don't play anywhere near enough ODI cricket nowadays and we are a lot more demanding of young cricketers coming through 

 

 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...