My angst on where the world is heading towards

Real McCoy

Turning to individual spirituality is the easy/weak option.  That has never been a solution. 

We are in a world that has seen exponential growth in population and consumption since the Industrial Revolution

The eternal question since the advent of agriculture has been the inability to hold pop. growth down while increasing food productivity .

Any system that has seen exponential growth over a lengthy period of time will crash spectacularly and we are clearly headed towards that. 

Jobs cannot be created exponentially , resources (unlike cash /credit ) cannot be extracted/manufactured exponentially .

Unless the World as a whole embraces an economic system that embraces true sustainability over growth which anyway only benefits the few over the many,   we will move ever closer to dystopia.

Encourage fewer kids in society , avoid consumption and promote minimalism as much as practically  possible etc.

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Turning to individual spirituality is the easy/weak option.  That has never been a solution. 

We are in a world that has seen exponential growth in population and consumption since the Industrial Revolution

The eternal question since the advent of agriculture has been the inability to hold pop. growth down while increasing food productivity .

Any system that has seen exponential growth over a lengthy period of time will crash spectacularly and we are clearly headed towards that. 

Jobs cannot be created exponentially , resources (unlike cash /credit ) cannot be extracted/manufactured exponentially .

Unless the World as a whole embraces an economic system that embraces true sustainability over growth which anyway only benefits the few over the many,   we will move ever closer to dystopia.

Encourage fewer kids in society , avoid consumption and promote minimalism as much as practically  possible etc.

There are plenty of points you raise. Thanks for chiming in. I see spirituality, agricultural revolution leading to exponential growth in population, equitable economic system as some of the main points you bring up among many things.

With respect to spirituality, its not a weak option IMO. My view is get help from it to deal with today's issues not run away from it. Its what Krishna says to Arjuna in Kurukshetra (BR Chopra version :giggle:). When you have tried all your options and are facing a dead-end, what do we turn to? You have to turn inward and get help. I have felt benefit whenever I did some meditation even if only a little.

I believe the world can host ten times more people but cannot hold even a few people's greed. And today's society values greed more than ever. There are a section of people who have seen through it and avoid getting trapped by or minimize exposure to it even though its in every nook and corner.

These two ties in well with the economic system. The economic system must be governed by some spiritual principle which nips the thought about greed in the bud. This maybe overly simplistic but it all needs to start somewhere :winky:

Modern day "jobs" and cash increase greed and stress levels in my view. I can explain more if needed.

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Why is or easy/weak option? You can’t lose sleep over something you don’t have any control. You need a coping mechanism to deal with such stress. Agree about minimalism and less consumption esp with younger people.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:04 AM, Nikhil_cric said:

that may (or may not) be so, but I just want to point out that world population will stabilize soon, and even decline - partly due to lifestyle choices, and partly I imagine that many regions will become less hospitable for human lives

10 hours ago, Vijy said:

that may (or may not) be so, but I just want to point out that world population will stabilize soon, and even decline - partly due to lifestyle choices, and partly I imagine that many regions will become less hospitable for human lives

Why do you think so? :(( I have no idea how the population is going to slow down at least in the developing world and the not so developing world. Its going to be an interesting world. NOT!

32 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Why do you think so? :(( I have no idea how the population is going to slow down at least in the developing world and the not so developing world. Its going to be an interesting world. NOT!

Just a combination of natural changes and man-made factors (e.g., war).

How I try to remain sane in this crazy world -

Speak truthfully, do not try to fit in and let B.S. slide just you want to be in good standing

Spit facts, disregard hurt feelings emotional blackmail

Cut distractions, focus on what matters

Do not seek appeasement, you do not need approval

Respect yourself (by dressing well and taking care of hygiene)

Do not be proud of something like race, caste etc. You had no role whatsoever

Do not indulge in doxxing someone, or digital bullying

Do not take pleasure in someone's misery

Don't be selfish, be empathetic and generous. Don't be a hoarder or greedy person

Do not boast, it makes your look immature

Be debt free always

Keep your religious beliefs private, do not discuss religion or politics at inapprorite place

Do not have a victim mentality

Let people make their own decisions, don't be a control freak

Let people express their opinions, disagree if you may and move on

Never root for more government control, don't be a communist in disguise

Always question, and be open minded

Never stop being curious

Do not let your family hold you back, do not tolerate disrespect from your parents

Have meaningful relationships, do not cheat on people

Introspect and note your personality flaws, work on them

Never chase anyone or anything, be content, radiate good vibes

Don't be in an echo chamber, you will just cement your false beliefs, talk to people from other cultures and learn

Travel to multiple places, it will transform you. See things first hand

Have some civic sense, be polite, listen more

26 minutes ago, Vancouver said:

How I try to remain sane in this crazy world -

Speak truthfully, do not try to fit in and let B.S. slide just you want to be in good standing

Spit facts, disregard hurt feelings emotional blackmail

Cut distractions, focus on what matters

Do not seek appeasement, you do not need approval

Respect yourself (by dressing well and taking care of hygiene)

Do not be proud of something like race, caste etc. You had no role whatsoever

Do not indulge in doxxing someone, or digital bullying

Do not take pleasure in someone's misery

Don't be selfish, be empathetic and generous. Don't be a hoarder or greedy person

Do not boast, it makes your look immature

Be debt free always

Keep your religious beliefs private, do not discuss religion or politics at inapprorite place

Do not have a victim mentality

Let people make their own decisions, don't be a control freak

Let people express their opinions, disagree if you may and move on

Never root for more government control, don't be a communist in disguise

Always question, and be open minded

Never stop being curious

Do not let your family hold you back, do not tolerate disrespect from your parents

Have meaningful relationships, do not cheat on people

Introspect and note your personality flaws, work on them

Never chase anyone or anything, be content, radiate good vibes

Don't be in an echo chamber, you will just cement your false beliefs, talk to people from other cultures and learn

Travel to multiple places, it will transform you. See things first hand

Have some civic sense, be polite, listen more

Wow that's quite a list. Kudos :nice: I have most of the things. Especially the part about boasting. I don't see what it gives people. I don't have the list on paper. Maybe I need to pen it down. I have a problem with distraction and consistency need to work on that. Thanks for the reply.