My angst on where the world is heading towards

Real McCoy

I don't know if you feel the same way I do. This is my take on the current situation. There is just too many people, too few jobs, lots of stress and anxiety in jobs (management, white collar or blue collar), dissatisfied customers at all levels, economic manhandling by select few at the top (even the bottom at non-western countries) resulting in decreased buying power of currencies, people happy with electronic gadgets and trash on media (sex, violence, arguing over politics for every nook and cranny). I don't have much hope for the next generation. I also see people looking to pick up fights over trivial things in everyday situation such as while on the road and general vibe in interacting between each other. I get the feeling of hell on earth as the days go by. Now I feel like the age of Kali (age of quarrel) is weighing heavy from my point of view atleast. This is not a woe is me thread and I'm not looking for any consolation. I just want to know how you feel like. Does this ring true to you or am I the odd one out?

We as a society are too much occupied with electronics. If people practice sitting idle, reflecting , mindfulness, meditation etc. for just a few minutes every day, then that's the solution to all societal problems in one shot because historically the world has never had so much progress and so much knowledge and empowerment.

Edited by randomGuy

38 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I don't know if you feel the same way I do. This is my take on the current situation. There is just too many people, too few jobs, lots of stress and anxiety in jobs (management, white collar or blue collar), dissatisfied customers at all levels, economic manhandling by select few at the top (even the bottom at non-western countries) resulting in decreased buying power of currencies, people happy with electronic gadgets and trash on media (sex, violence, arguing over politics for every nook and cranny). I don't have much hope for the next generation. I also see people looking to pick up fights over trivial things in everyday situation such as while on the road and general vibe in interacting between each other. I get the feeling of hell on earth as the days go by. Now I feel like the age of Kali (age of quarrel) is weighing heavy from my point of view atleast. This is not a woe is me thread and I'm not looking for any consolation. I just want to know how you feel like. Does this ring true to you or am I the odd one out?

I used to feel angst about this too. Then I made peace with the fact and don't give a fudge now. I focus and think about what makes me happy, the rest of the sorry ass world be damned. 

6 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

We as a society are too much occupied with electronics. If people practice sitting idle, reflecting , mindfulness, meditation etc. for just a few minutes every day, then that's the solution to all societal problems in one shot because historically the world has never had so just progress and so much knowledge and empowerment.

Thanks for your input. I have been doing some meditation for a while now. Its helpng me a little bit. I'm just concerned for others around me and the things I see everyday. I feel like this is not the city I grew up in.

5 minutes ago, nevada said:

I used to feel angst about this too. Then I made peace with the fact and don't give a fudge now. I focus and think about what makes me happy, the rest of the sorry ass world be damned. 

Thanks for responding. Its interesting how people respond to this.

4 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

World outside is reflective of the state of life inside. When one sees everything wrong it's time to introspect. 

That's another way of looking at it. Thanks for your input BTW. I agree this is inline with our philosophy. But you cannot avoid not seeing things as they are. Do I feel things were better than this in the 90s. Absolutely not. As @randomGuy has mentioned, this is a new phenomena of increased knowledge in a quick spurt of time. Knowledge is neutral. It can be for the good as much as for evil. For most humans, its the evil one that is easy than the good one. Its the lack of maturity among the people. We all know that eating too many sweets is bad for health and eating good food is good. Its only after a while that people realize it hopefully sooner without much damage.

18 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

That's another way of looking at it. Thanks for your input BTW. I agree this is inline with our philosophy. But you cannot avoid not seeing things as they are. Do I feel things were better than this in the 90s. Absolutely not. As @randomGuy has mentioned, this is a new phenomena of increased knowledge in a quick spurt of time. Knowledge is neutral. It can be for the good as much as for evil. For most humans, its the evil one that is easy than the good one. Its the lack of maturity among the people. We all know that eating too many sweets is bad for health and eating good food is good. Its only after a while that people realize it hopefully sooner without much damage.

So I hear what you are saying. But depends on what spaces you occupy and where you are. The overall intellectual and societal damage to society through compulsive use of technology is for real. But I choose to invest in the "have nots" . They still retain the core principles of hard work and earthly feeling. I invest my time with them. I live in place where every other person where every other person is faffing about how many properties they own and where they will send they their children to study while the child has his headset on for video game and there is help quietly eating in servant quarter. Irks me. 

Every day something gets my goat. But I invest my time in taking care of those children who don't have those privileges who are hungry and who still retain the innocence about life. When I am in a ashram or Trek I see many people who are outliers and seek different purpose in life. So when I see the world through their eyes it's full of possibilities. 

Perhaps we are looking at the world with tired eyes. 

1 hour ago, cowboysfan said:

too few Jobs is an understatement.we will see millions more highly educated people unemployed in the near future.interesting times.

NEP focus on skills rather than mere education is needed in every country esp India.  There is only one big pie which is shrinking and everyone grabbing a piece is ever increasing . Hence the frustration in society . 

The worst thing Indians got with Internet is smart phones and Apps like Insta. Worst content creators even from lower middle class to yuppies. 

15 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

So I hear what you are saying. But depends on what spaces you occupy and where you are. The overall intellectual and societal damage to society through compulsive use of technology is for real. But I choose to invest in the "have nots" . They still retain the core principles of hard work and earthly feeling. I invest my time with them. I live in place where every other person where every other person is faffing about how many properties they own and where they will send they their children to study while the child has his headset on for video game and there is help quietly eating in servant quarter. Irks me. 

Every day something gets my goat. But I invest my time in taking care of those children who don't have those privileges who are hungry and who still retain the innocence about life. When I am in a ashram or Trek I see many people who are outliers and seek different purpose in life. So when I see the world through their eyes it's full of possibilities. 

Perhaps we are looking at the world with tired eyes. 

I live in Chennai. There are plenty of unemployed educated people and some (or a lot depending on your perception) of them from the lower income group. They are further inundated with freebies so they are not lacking in material stuff and they are fed well but they still have a lack of purpose and retain their poverty level mentality. Today's world is quite complex. There are still have nots from other small towns, villages and northern migrants that have the mentality you described. Those evoke the same feelings as they do to you and it seems everyday people share our feeling towards them as hotels and other businesses that employ them are functioning better and the ones that don't fall by the wayside. I have transcended the north south BS even the religious divide and see them as people. I have joined a yoga center that has an ashram in Orissa that also provides cow shelter. Maybe I should visit them for a change of pace.

14 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

too few Jobs is an understatement.we will see millions more highly educated people unemployed in the near future.interesting times.

Its already happening where I'm from. One of the recent hires in my company studied mechanical enginnering and his first job was assembly line worker. you really dont have to study engineering to work in an assembly line. smart guy but no job vacancies. there is even talk of recession as US has entered recession. God help us.

12 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

NEP focus on skills rather than mere education is needed in every country esp India.  There is only one big pie which is shrinking and everyone grabbing a piece is ever increasing . Hence the frustration in society . 

The worst thing Indians got with Internet is smart phones and Apps like Insta. Worst content creators even from lower middle class to yuppies. 

Dude even whatsapp is addictive. I have so many retired boomers with their endless forwards. I already put them on mute. I use my phone for what its meant to be - ansering calls. I'm already too old for the next gen :lol:

Thankfully I'm old enough to not get ensnared by insta and tiktok. bumble is another fake datng app like tinder where real dating doesn't happen only girls showboating for attention and thirsty guys paying to contact them (I'm not sure if this will pass in India as many people are frugal but you never know with the next generation and the future that holds for them)

PS - the pie shrinking in the job market is very true. I feel sorry for the next gen

Edited by Real McCoy

12 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I live in Chennai. There are plenty of unemployed educated people and some (or a lot depending on your perception) of them from the lower income group. They are further inundated with freebies so they are not lacking in material stuff and they are fed well but they still have a lack of purpose and retain their poverty level mentality. Today's world is quite complex. There are still have nots from other small towns, villages and northern migrants that have the mentality you described. Those evoke the same feelings as they do to you and it seems everyday people share our feeling towards them as hotels and other businesses that employ them are functioning better and the ones that don't fall by the wayside. I have transcended the north south BS even the religious divide and see them as people. I have joined a yoga center that has an ashram in Orissa that also provides cow shelter. Maybe I should visit them for a change of pace.

On the jobs front, this is not just a challenge of demand and supply. It's a challenge of suitability. It's also a challenge of adaptability or lack of it. Many folks remains rigid in their ways and are not willing to pick up new skills or go where the market is. Is the unemployment higher now than 10 years back ? Data doesn't provide clear guidance on this. Chennai story is full of contradictions. High success and freebies along with broken lives due to TASMAC. Eventually dharma is the only way for all to be gainfully working and living. 

My worry is that we are fast moving towards mental illness epidemic, something which we were not as impacted due to circumstances and kind of spiritual core of this land. But with massive technological addiction combined with growing alienation, dharma and community remains the only way to secure future. I am not worried about growth or jobs. But I worry about quality of life and mind esp in urban centres. 

2 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

On the jobs front, this is not just a challenge of demand and supply. It's a challenge of suitability. It's also a challenge of adaptability or lack of it. Many folks remains rigid in their ways and are not willing to pick up new skills or go where the market is. Is the unemployment higher now than 10 years back ? Data doesn't provide clear guidance on this. Chennai story is full of contradictions. High success and freebies along with broken lives due to TASMAC. Eventually dharma is the only way for all to be gainfully working and living. 

My worry is that we are fast moving towards mental illness epidemic, something which we were not as impacted due to circumstances and kind of spiritual core of this land. But with massive technological addiction combined with growing alienation, dharma and community remains the only way to secure future. I am not worried about growth or jobs. But I worry about quality of life and mind esp in urban centres. 

Yeah chennai has fallen apart in the past few years. the trouble may be brewing with the erosion of religious standards by you know who. the people reaction to storm in chennai in 2015 and the recent one is quite different. in 2015, people sold vegetables in trouble hit areas with a moderate hike in prices that was acceptable. there was a sense of togetherness among the people in chennai. I had the feeling that even though we may not get along as city dwellers, we will help each other in the times of distress such as cyclone. in the recent one, milk was sold at 5 times more price. this is so different. within a few years, situation has changed so much.

tasmac doesnt help it one bit. watch the first few minutes of this episode. drinking is one of the 4 sins told by Maharaj Parikshit that helps kali yuga and is adharmic. I agree with your thoughts on the mental health more so in urban areas.