Very very happy to see Rishabh Pant back

4 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

Glenn Philips

Pant can be as good as Sanga, he has solid technique. Let's all depend on his mental strength (which is anyway top notch).

From top 4 Jaiswal, Rohit & Kohli are locked. Only place available in Gill but he is the future.

Pant only can go at top 4 when one of Rohit or Kohli retire.

He should go at 5 or 6 IMO. If he plays at 5 (which he has done often), then Jaddu can come in at 6 or 7, and if he bats at 6 in some pitches, then jaddu can play at 5.

Pant is better than sarfaraz overseas, I think.

12 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

Glenn Philips

Pant can be as good as Sanga, he has solid technique. Let's all depend on his mental strength (which is anyway top notch).

From top 4 Jaiswal, Rohit & Kohli are locked. Only place available in Gill but he is the future.

Pant only can go at top 4 when one of Rohit or Kohli retire.

Pant is better than sanga. Sanga never scored well vs big teams away from memory

I dont think he won a test in India. Sorry I can't rate such players.

Pant to me is a level above. 

12 hours ago, express bowling said:

An average of almost 44 in tests is pretty commendable irrespective of where one bats.

And he has batted 2/3 of the times at 5 and 6 which are proper batting positions. 

Batting there has its own challenges of having to face the 2nd new ball and having to bat with the tail. Laxman averaged 45.5 batting in these positions. Rahane averaged 38.

And even if Pant plays as a pure batter, he will bat at 5 or 6 only.

He averaged 55 plus in ranji as keeper batsman. He can easily play as pure batsman.

1 hour ago, Kron said:

Pant is better than sanga. Sanga never scored well vs big teams away from memory

I dont think he won a test in India. Sorry I can't rate such players.

Pant to me is a level above. 

Sanga played a gem down under in a losing cause.some 150 odd

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/596629/when-sanga-took-on-australia

Edited by punjabi_khota

I dont normally praise batsmen but pant is unreal. Best player in the world in form. No doubt. He is >>> kohli even for me. Stats bats cats all meaningless if you can't help your team win a series away from home. Pant is better than Kohli in that regard. 

26 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

Pant is not a T20 bastman. He never was.

Just accept the fact and move on. He is priceless in test matches though and thats where we need him.

Exactly.He has limited stroke range where he is very good and he can execute that in Tests. I wouldnt even play him in LOIs.

45 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

Just accept the fact and move on. He is priceless in test matches though and thats where we need him.

He doesn’t have the power game. Good at clearing the inner field though with lofted shots. And decent against pace. He needs the fielders inside the circle. Ideal for tests.

But the footwork he displayed today was comical. That will get him in trouble even in test matches.

48 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

Why? He started with a bang and topped couple of IPL season. He scored two amazing 50s last two matches, he just has been wrongly utilised. 

We have given stat padders a million chances why would you give up on someone who has all the shots?

39 minutes ago, rish said:

Exactly.He has limited stroke range where he is very good and he can execute that in Tests. I wouldnt even play him in LOIs.

How does he have limited shot range when he can hit to every part of the ground? He is failing because he is trying too hard

Only on ICF can such a bogus post get like, which shot can he not play, he has a great cut and late cut, can hit square very hard, has a great cover drive, has good straight drives and lofted shots, has a good flick to leg, can pull both square and fine, can hit big sixes to cow corner and on the office,  has both normal and reverse sweeps, can play paddle and behind the wicket even to fast bowlers, can hook easily, can hit spinner, pacers and medium pacers with ease. Can hit both on off and leg. 

Which shots does he not have? He has a 40+ average in ODIs with strike rate of 110. Let me guess, you want Iyer instead. 

But but he has limited shots you guys. As soon as someone is down, the lies and propaganda start. Funny thing is Indian fans do this only with youngsters, they never do this with stat padding seniors, Kohli is 20 times more limited in shots than Pant.

There is clear pattern with Indian fans and their love for safety and average things. Just like fans would prefer a safe trundler and hold fast bowlers to different standards, blame fast bowlers more,  it's exact same thing with batsmen. These fans love their safe stat padders, in their eyes if you can knock around and score singles after a big hit, then you have all the shots, an agressive batsman is held to different standards. 

So they would prefer a safe Iyer to a batsman with 110 strike rate in ODIs

Edited by New guy

4 minutes ago, MK55 said:

He doesn’t have the power game. Good at clearing the inner field though with lofted shots. And decent against pace. He needs the fielders inside the circle. Ideal for tests.

But the footwork he displayed today was comical. That will get him in trouble even in test matches.

He has decent footwork, he is just trying too hard. 

He has hit some really big sixes in international before and in IPL on initial seasons, he is clearly trying definitely to not exert himself too much, it's like a bowler coming back from a 2 year injury trying to bowl slower. 

9 minutes ago, New guy said:

Why? He started with a bang and topped couple of IPL season. He scored two amazing 50s last two matches, he just has been wrongly utilised. 

We have given stat padders a million chances why would you give up on someone who has all the shots?

He did get lots of chance in international T20 even before his accident. Didn't impress then. Didn't impress now.

Even the two fifties he got in IPL, he was generally struggling for the first 25 balls. Also, lacked fluency in the entire IPL so far. But that can be attributed to his accident. But then in the past too, he has shown similar disability in international T20 far too often.

35 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

He did get lots of chance in international T20 even before his accident. Didn't impress then. Didn't impress now.

Even the two fifties he got in IPL, he was generally struggling for the first 25 balls. Also, lacked fluency in the entire IPL so far. But that can be attributed to his accident. But then in the past too, he has shown similar disability in international T20 far too often.

Dude he scored both his 50s in 23 and 26 balls, how can he struggle for first 25 balls in those, lmao

In international he has faced same issues which every indian youngsters have got, we have stat padders on top who play most balls. Pant didnt even bat in same place most times, he didnt even get match practice, he played many game just at death. Its like talented youngsters not being able to perform in RCB but then when their team changes they do great.

P.S. I dont mind him not being in T20s as we have many excellent big hitters now, however am afraid they will go through the same experience and end up like Pant. The day Rahul and Kohli retire is when these big hitters will achieve their true potential, having stat padders on top will never help any aggressive player to do much, whether its pant or anyone else.