Sachin Tendulkar or Vivian Richards?

lets split the argument into tests and odis :icflove: in ODIs king has better average and better strike rate , do you agree that viv is better than Sachin in ODIs ??
Let me put it differently. If I have to choose between the two for say a 5 match series (be it Tests ot odis) I would pick SRT. However if I have to pick a batsman for one game only, i.e. in a "winner takes it all" sort of a match I would pick Richards (odis as well as Tests). Richards had a knack of raising his game for the big moments/matches. SRT is by far more consistent but he's not a great pressure/big moment player.
Let me put it differently. If I have to choose between the two for say a 5 match series (be it Tests ot odis) I would pick SRT. However if I have to pick a batsman for one game only' date=' i.e. in a "winner takes it all" sort of a match I would pick Richards (odis as well as Tests). Richards had a knack of raising his game for the big moments/matches. SRT is by far more consistent but he's not a great pressure/big moment player.[/quote'] good unbaised post.. i agree with this
Let me put it differently. If I have to choose between the two for say a 5 match series (be it Tests ot odis) I would pick SRT. However if I have to pick a batsman for one game only' date=' i.e. in a "winner takes it all" sort of a match I would pick Richards (odis as well as Tests). Richards had a knack of raising his game for the big moments/matches. SRT is by far more consistent but he's not a great pressure/big moment player.[/quote'] I mentioned the exact same thing in Lara vs Tendulkar thread. Btw, I have a question - Will you still with Tendulkar in the final winner takes all Test match (3 or 5) in the series? Personally, I wouldn't.
Let me put it differently. If I have to choose between the two for say a 5 match series (be it Tests ot odis) I would pick SRT. However if I have to pick a batsman for one game only' date=' i.e. in a "winner takes it all" sort of a match I would pick Richards (odis as well as Tests). Richards had a knack of raising his game for the big moments/matches. SRT is by far more consistent but he's not a great pressure/big moment player.[/quote'] Fair enough
I mentioned the exact same thing in Lara vs Tendulkar thread. Btw' date=' I have a question - Will you still with Tendulkar in the final winner takes all Test match (3 or 5) in the series? Personally, I wouldn't.[/quote'] Well you answered the question yourself... if it's a winner takes all Test match I would go with Richards as I mentioned earlier :smiley: I thought all my posts were unbiased :dontknow: It's not as if I get paid to post regarding a certain player. I see it as I call it. My perspective may well be different than others' but I don't have a personal grudge against anyone or any player.
Tendulkar has 3 Man-Of-Match awards in the 5 Worldcup ODIs that he has played against Pakistan spanning nearly 20 yrs facing almost every great bowler Paki's have produced ... if you know anything about Ind/Pak matches there is simply nothing that comes even remotely close to these as far as pressure and importance is concerned ... there isnt even a comprable rivalry in Richards case to comapre but Iam sure you will pretend that the WI vs Eng series were just as raw and competitive as Ind vs Pak. ( OR simply pretend that Ind would have won against Pak regardless of SRT's contribution - wait I think you said that once in a diff thread ) .
Tendulkar has been great against Pakis in the WC and his innings of 98 against Pak in 2003 is one of the best odi knocks I have seen. But IMO Richards did more over his career, especially the World Cup finals. In 75 he had 5 runouts and changed the match with his fielding, in 79 he probably playe one of the best World Cup final knocks and in 83 his 30 odd was only bettered by Srikkanth and it took a great catch by Kapil to see him off else he would have won another WC for WI. I may be wrong but to me Richards was better on a bigger stage and I'm not basing it on his 181 against Eng in an inconsequential odi. But again it's my opinion and you may choose to disagree.

Richards had sterling performances in 2 World Cup finals and was the highest scorer for his team in another one - Tendulkar has 20 runs in 2 World Cup finals put together. While their achievements over the rest of their careers is too close to call, this here is the tie breaker and puts Richards decisively in front of Tendulkar in ODIs as the greatest ODI batsman ever.

I would take Richards and Gilly over Tendulkar anyday of the week in ODI's. No one sent chills down the spine of the opponents in the history of the One day game as these two. And they have been one of the reasons why their teams won multiple World cups and other important non-WC events.

I would take Richards and Gilly over Tendulkar anyday of the week in ODI's. No one sent chills down the spine of the opponents in the history of the One day game as these two. And they have been one of the reasons why their teams won multiple World cups and other important non-WC events.
Don't want to start another monotonous ritual on this forum,but have you ever considered the fact that SRT at times had to curb his natural instincts given the team he had most times. Not taking anything away from Viv or Gilly but say if we put Viv,SRT and Gilly on the same pedestal in terms of Skill,what about the pressure on their minds??? For eg;Viv followed up on the solid starts from Greenidge and Haynes followed by a powerful middle order....Even if the team flopped,the bowling line up beleived they could blow away the opposition....Gilly could play with a lot more freedom because of players who followed him.Also if Gilly was bogged down,he had Mark Waugh and later Matthew Hayden keeping the momentum going.
Don't want to start another monotonous ritual on this forum,but have you ever considered the fact that SRT at times had to curb his natural instincts given the team he had most times. Not taking anything away from Viv or Gilly but say if we put Viv,SRT and Gilly on the same pedestal in terms of Skill,what about the pressure on their minds??? For eg;Viv followed up on the solid starts from Greenidge and Haynes followed by a powerful middle order....Even if the team flopped,the bowling line up beleived they could blow away the opposition....Gilly could play with a lot more freedom because of players who followed him.Also if Gilly was bogged down,he had Mark Waugh and later Matthew Hayden keeping the momentum going.
It is just a myth that somehow Tendulkar has more pressure to cope with. India always had a decent batting line up for the last so many years. Especially in ODI's it has never been an issue when the world over the wickets were on the flat side anyways for the one day game. Sorry does not pass muster. I will stick with Viv and Gilly over Sachin for One dayers though I am a huge SRT fan.
It is just a myth that somehow Tendulkar has more pressure to cope with. India always had a decent batting line up for the last so many years. Especially in ODI's it has never been an issue when the world over the wickets were on the flat side anyways for the one day game. Sorry does not pass muster. I will stick with Viv and Gilly over Sachin for One dayers though I am a huge SRT fan.
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: