Mitchel Johnson

kabira

One bad thing i have noticed among Indians regardless of captain is once they start playing both formats they end up losing their ability in both formats. I dearly wished Ishant not to play ODIs at all at the start of his career. Without even developing himself into a proper bowler he could not adjust between formats and his development was stunted badly.
I do not think this was the case. It was just because of poor thinking by Ishant. He started doing really badly when he started copying Zaheer since 2009 T20 WC. He was pretty fine before that. He lost it after that. Most of our bowlers lose things like that. Same with Irfan when he changed his action. They should stick to what works best for them and not change too many things too early.
I do not think this was the case. It was just because of poor thinking by Ishant. He started doing really badly when he started copying Zaheer since 2009 T20 WC. He was pretty fine before that. He lost it after that. Most of our bowlers lose things like that. Same with Irfan when he changed his action. They should stick to what works best for them and not change too many things too early.
He says he copied Zak's action. It was nothing like it. Probably he tried to copy his wrist position whatever. How hard it is to swtich back if something doesn't work. Only good thing is he has easy repeatable bowling action. Everything else is messed up. Line, length, seam position, wrist position etc. Agree he was slightly better in the beginning. i supported Ishant against Pakistan when everything put him down. He came back well to take 5 wickets in that TEst. His inswingers were harder to pick for batsmen when he got it right. Pretty much similar kind of spells he bowled to Punter. Somewhere along the line he stopped bowling them , Never had the intelligence to use the angles, crease and also never had clue about how to set up a batsman. If anything he should have learned from Zak that was it. He beautifully sets up a batsman.
The way Johnson is being used needs to be noted also. He is basically intimidating batsmen with his pace and short bowling. That is what has got England down basically. It is wonderful. We also need to use genuine fast bowlers this way on fast pitches.
Aussie have got harris,siddle so they can use mitch as a out and out fast bowler.I have seen mitch bowl quicker than what he is bowling but the diff is plans and bowling attack.Earlier he was the main man now he has great support in form of harris and siddle the workhorse and watson to chip in.
Aussie have got harris' date='siddle so they can use mitch as a out and out fast bowler.I have seen mitch bowl quicker than what he is bowling but the diff is plans and bowling attack.Earlier he was the main man now he has great support in form of harris and siddle the workhorse and watson to chip in.[/quote'] With Shami and Bhuvi attacking the off stump, we can use Umesh like this in SAF.
He says he copied Zak's action. It was nothing like it. Probably he tried to copy his wrist position whatever. How hard it is to swtich back if something doesn't work. Only good thing is he has easy repeatable bowling action. Everything else is messed up. Line' date=' length, seam position, wrist position etc. Agree he was slightly better in the beginning. i supported Ishant against Pakistan when everything put him down. He came back well to take 5 wickets in that TEst. His inswingers were harder to pick for batsmen when he got it right. Pretty much similar kind of spells he bowled to Punter. Somewhere along the line he stopped bowling them , Never had the intelligence to use the angles, crease and also never had clue about how to set up a batsman. If anything he should have learned from Zak that was it. He beautifully sets up a batsman.[/quote'] problem is Ishant has lost his wrist and seam position since and tries to get outswing every now and then which leads to loss of action and pace. He is unsure what he wants to do due to that. In his early days he had everything you are talking about. How to setup batsman or how to bowl to field. His Mos performance in 2008 against is the best fast bowling performance I have seen by an indian pacer in India.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/10469109/Ashes-2013-14-Australia-fast-bowler-Mitchell-Johnson-shatters-Englands-hard-earned-sense-of-superiority.html Ashes 2013-14: Australia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson shatters England's hard-earned sense of superiority Barmy Army may think twice about mocking Mitchell Johnson again after rejuvenated Australian fast bowler inflicted severe psychological damage on England's batting order mitchell_2743503b.jpg Mark the moment. It was on Nov 22, 2013, that England lost the psychological advantage over Australia which they had held since the Oval Test of August 2009. England’s pace bowlers had picked off Australia’s batsmen with accurate and well-drilled musketry. Into this combat, around noon on day two of this series, Michael Clarke introduced a rocket-launcher. Mitchell Johnson had ambushed England before. In the Perth Test of 2010-11, his swing caused them to lose five top wickets for 20. But this was bounce, such serious bounce that England’s batsmen collapsed through no real fault of their own.Clarke had given Johnson only three overs in his opening spell since he is no longer Australia’s attack-leader, which he was when the Barmy Army first mocked him and the responsibility became too much. Now, with Ryan Harris and Peter Siddle bound to bowl steadily at the other hand, he is free to be ‘an impact bowler’ – Maverick Johnson or, as here, Magic Johnson.For the first two overs of this match-defining second spell, Michael Carberry took Johnson and thereby shielded his new partner, Jonathan Trott. Carberry and Alastair Cook, being left-handers, did not have Johnson’s rockets rearing up under their armpit: they had a clear view of his bouncers, and could duck or sway, so long as Johnson bowled over the wicket.But when Johnson eventually got Trott in his sights, the first rocket was too hot for Trott, forcing him to throw his head back, hitting his upraised gloves and unleashing the crowd’s roar. The first day of this series had lacked lustre – it was just another Ashes series, less than three months after the last – but this one ball stirred all the old passions. To avoid being a sitting target again, Trott walked ever further across his stumps: not backing away, quite the opposite, but going so far that his stumps were exposed behind him. It was a wonder he was not bowled before he was caught behind.Next it was Carberry’s turn. He had lined up Johnson with such calmness and composure when he had bowled over the wicket. But when Johnson switched to round, Carberry faced the same fiendish geometry as Trott had: the rocket rearing under his armpit. Suddenly Carberry, having been as accomplished as Cook on his last tour here, was brought down to earth. He fended Johnson’s first ball from round the wicket, swished at the second, then edged the third – a beauty that kicked like a rodeo horse – to first slip. All 10 of England’s wickets fell to catches as they failed to cope with the bounce, not least that of spinner Nathan Lyon. Joe Root played a drive at Johnson that might not have carried to third slip in England, but did here, and Graeme Swann tried a tentative push. Stuart Broad had to send for a new helmet after his first – along with England’s confidence – had been dented. Much has been made of Johnson’s proclivity to take wickets in the same matches that he makes a decent score. In the eight Tests where he had made a 50, Johnson had taken 43 wickets – slightly above average.In this comeback Test at the Gabba, however, it would not have made a blind bit of difference if Johnson had made nought. The key is that his action is now grooved. His leading arm is rock-solid. England were warned in the Champions Trophy last summer. There was a case for drafting Johnson into the Ashes squad: he would have done well on the only pacy pitch of the series at Old Trafford. Instead, he went home and worked on his strength for two months, before returning to alarm England – or Trott and Kevin Pietersen at least, not Carberry – in the one-day series.This strong action has served to strengthen Johnson’s mind. The insecurities of his childhood – he came from a broken home in Townsville – have also been cured by having a new family life of his own. Even if the Barmy Army had been as large as last time – not just one sector of the Gabba – they would not have got into Johnson’s head. Although Johnson left to live with his wife in Perth, he remains a favourite in Brisbane. He drove a delivery truck here when not playing cricket – not one of yer fancy blokes like Broad or KP, but one of us, mate – and yesterday he delivered all right.

All this talk about Johnson's bodyline bowling brings back memories... This is why I rate Gavaskar so highly. 1983-84 WI tour of India. WI had revenge on their mind after the WC loss to India. Marshall was unleashed in Kanpur in the first test. He knocked the bat out of Gavaskar's hands (got him out twice) in the second innings with a vicious short pitched ball and had him caught at the same time. Poor Sunny had to suffer the shame of having to pick up his bat on the way to the pavilion. Still vividly remember watching that live on TV and cried. However, he worked out an approach of counterattack and came back in the next test and the rest was history. :hatsoff: How many modern Indian batsmen (or any batsman) can do that against the one of the most ferocious bowlers of all time? _____________________________________________________________________ http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/452776.html Hook-filled and Bradmanesque Sunil Gavaskar's 29th Test century came against two of the most ferocious quicks of all time Pradeep Magazine March 21, 2010 It can be almost impossible to figure out which is the best innings one has watched. Memory can play tricks with you and nostalgia can exaggerate the worth of an event and make it appear more valuable than it seemed when it was played. Taking inspiration from what Marquez said, "Life is not what one lived but how one remembers it", I go back 27 years to an innings I think is among the very best, if not the best, I have seen. Sunil Gavaskar had perhaps the most balanced stance in the history of the game, a perfect blend of elegance and grace, even before he had made his first move to address the ball. So it was hard to believe the man who had tamed the most furious fast bowlers of his time had his bat been knocked out of his hand by a Malcolm Marshall bouncer in the 1983 Kanpur Test against West Indies. India lost that match by an innings and the critics began to ask that he step down. Gavaskar was on the retreat. The next Test was in Delhi, where he was once again subjected to a vicious short-ball attack by Marshall and Michael Holding, two of the most intimidating fast bowlers the world has ever seen. That day Gavaskar, the calm and cool builder of an innings, decided to take fate in his own hands and launched a blistering counterattack, the memory of which has stayed in my mind despite the amount of cricket I have watched over the years. His footwork that day was almost divine. He did not weave and duck at the crease, but played what I still think is the best exhibition of hooking I have watched. As if knowing the intent of the bowlers before they had released the ball, Gavaskar got into perfect position to hook, and raced to his half-century off just 37 balls. He took 57 more to record his 29th century, a feat achieved by only man before him - Donald Bradman. Gavaskar had reserved his best to match the greatest batsman the history of the game has known. ____________________________________________________________