Drop Ishant Sharma

I still feel that Sreesanth is a good test bowler. The same cannot be said about ODIs. Even Ishant Sharma is not that good of an ODI bowler. When I look at Umesh's bowling, he too comes across as someone who will be a pretty good bowler in Test format, but in ODIs will be just as meh as Ishant and Sreesanth. He needs to work on his waywardness big time. I am hoping that team management will give Varun Aaron a chance in the next or last test match to see if he is the bowler we are looking for that can bowl well in both formats of the game. He made his ODI debut at Eden Gardens in Kolkata, so maybe test debut on the same pitch would be a good idea.

Should this thread be re-named 'Select Sreesanth' instead of 'drop ishant'? :facepalm: Let sreesanth take at least ONE wicket in a ranji plate group match before we even compare him against anyone on the basis of current form. Imo guys like rp singh, sreesanth, nehra, etc are moving closer to the 'has beens' category of indian test match bowlers and need a significant revival of some sort to re-ignite their chances of even being considered for the test side. But as always, may the best bowler get picked.
Comparing a joke like RP to Sree and then talking about an ODI bowler, doesn't make sense.
I agree with the OP Ishant has really not done enough to merit a place in the Test side. He had a good series in the WI earlier this year but in England he bumped big time. I'd rather we go with both Aaron and Yadav instead of Ishant. There is hardly any difference between Ishant and Sreesanth's performance. All this crap about he bowling with a big heart is all just that - crap. You need to take wickets first, heart can come later. Ishant does not have the ability to run thru a side like Zak, Sreesanth (its a diff thing that he does it only on a blue moon). I think Varun Aaron may have that ability and we need to test him out
Yep. Ishant currently after 4 years of investment has demonstrated only mediocre bowling. I mean the way he struggles to even finish of a tail at times is shocking and not befitting of a spearhead. I think time out for him will help him come back stronger maybe. Until cricinfo write something about his poor performance, the masses will keep singing his praises.

Ishant Sharma might not be the complete bowler, or a strike bowler yet, he is the best bowler in India after Zaheer,young, experienced, has pace,mature, has had fantastic success and some loss of form in between. He has most respect from the opposition after Zaheer, once he figures out a bit quickly what is the right length to bowl on a pitch on the first day , session , he has the pedigree.He can bowl to a plan, keeps the runs down as well.Sreesanth and him do not even fall in the same league, looking at Sreesanth's domestic record and his int record, I think whatever very ltd success he had was because of over performing, his normal level of performance falls short of int class.

Is this thread a joke, well if we had Marshall, Waseem, Thompson in the bowling attack and someone asking a bowler of ISHANT'S CALIBRE TO BE DROPPED LOL.Sreesanth is not even half as talented or lethal as Akhtar and has twice as much tantrums and bigger ego then he has,his first class figures along with international stats are average or poor to say the least. Yes he had some talent to begin with , bowlers with more talent them him , fitter bowlers have been discarded,I think he is hopeless,after playing for soo many years , haven't learn't a thing, no stamina, maturity, cannot bowl to a plan, a clown, talks about bowling 145 k and then bowls lollipop at 127 k's.
:haha:
As for Disco, I think the captain needs to be more supportive of him. He is a match winner and he can win us games. I think he can be given the assurance from the selectors and captain that, "listen, you have the next 10 Tests to play for India...no questions asked. If you do justice to your talent then its good for all parties but if you don't then the 10th Test would be the last Test you would've played for India"
But can he play 10 test matches in a raw, highly doubtful. IMO, he has already played 0ver 20 test matches. Difference between the two is not the wickets, it is the hard work they put. Sreesanth is just a man of talks, while Ishant put the hard yards. Regarding Ishant's average or wicket taking ability. How many fast bowlers have taken over 100 wickets at this age and in this area of high batting averages and flat pitches, count how many fast bowlers have an average of less than 30. We get only one prominent name that is Dale Steyn. Other is Ryan Harris who is just starting out.
And that's his biggest asset...his age. i think the selectors should take a mature decision for his own benefit...just let him learn his art for the next 2-3 seasons in the domestic circuit. If he picks heaps of wickets in the next 2-3 seasons then pick him up but right now they are just wasting him and others who may be potentially better than him. As for Disco, I think the captain needs to be more supportive of him. He is a match winner and he can win us games. I think he can be given the assurance from the selectors and captain that, "listen, you have the next 10 Tests to play for India...no questions asked. If you do justice to your talent then its good for all parties but if you don't then the 10th Test would be the last Test you would've played for India" I honestly feel Dusco has never received that kind of faith from his captain. He perfomed very well under Rahul but Dhoni has been rather poor with him. But more than these two, I'd like to see Varun Aaron in the team. I agree with the OP that Ummu dunn look like someone who can run thru a side. Aaron looks like he can...we need him to play a few Tests in good conditions. Finally, if Ishant is selected in any Test I think I will always ask why isn't Disco in the side ahead of him because there is more likelihood of Disco running thru a side than Ishant
Trust me, you will be proven wrong in the times to come. Umesh looks every bit a test bowler to me. And it will take time, but he will earn the respect of oppositions soon enough if he keeps himself grounded and keeps working hard. As for Ishant, I feel he has got all the ingredients to be a class bowler. He just needs to strategize each wicket just like how Zaheer does. And it takes time to be that kind of a bowler, it comes with experience. Once he does that, he will be a terror !
But can he play 10 test matches in a raw' date=' highly doubtful. IMO, he has already played 0ver 20 test matches. Difference between the two is not the wickets, it is the hard work they put. Sreesanth is just a man of talks, while Ishant put the hard yards.[/quote']Look, I don't think you, I, or any of us at ICF are really in a position to talk about who puts in how much effort...we just dont know. All we see is the outcome. If you are telling me that you believe Sreesanth or for that matter any national player does not work his ass off to get selected, stay in the team and play then, using Ian Chappell's newly coined phrase, "I have a rewarding Nigerian investment opportunity you'd be interested in." So let's please not go around town claiming that this guy works hard and that guy dunn. Each of those buggers put hard yards in. What they are doing may not be effective but please don't slander them on their effort. I have played group level cricket in the 90s and I know how much work even a half committed player like me puts in