Hindi/English chapters which you remember from your school days??

Cricketics

lol Now I am remembering all the weird ones too. The Jhansi ki Rani poem it went like this "khoob ladi mardaani , woh toh jhansi waali rani"
How was that weird? I loved it and I used to recite it everyday. sinhansan hil uthe, rajvanshon ne bhrikuti tani thi budhe bharat me aayee phir se nayee jawani thi gumi huyee azaadi ki kimat sabne pahchani thi door firangi ko karne ko sabne man me thani thi chamak uthi san sattavan me wo talwar purani bundele harbolo ke muh hamne suni kahani thi khoob ladi mardani wo to jhani wali rani thi One poem was enough to get fair idea about 1857 wars.

I remember that we had a few poems by Ogden Nash. Can't remember the exact content' date=' but something about a visit to a dentist. Found that funny too, at that time.[/quote'] My Dads got a whole big book of Nash poems, he is a genius I too remember kabuliwala from hindi!

Sahasi Balika from bal bharti (3rd?). About a girl who saves a classmate from drowning in a lake during a class trip. An excerpt from the Kon Tiki Voyage in Gulmohar (5th?). The Cow by Premchand (9th?) Story about Dr. Christian Bernaard. Tale of Two Cities, Oliver Twist and Great Expectations through middle school. The Tempest and a few other plays. Khoob ladi mardani woh tou jhansi wali rani thi! :icflove: there is something about those string of words...

Sahasi Balika from bal bharti (3rd?). About a girl who saves a classmate from drowning in a lake during a class trip. An excerpt from the Kon Tiki Voyage in Gulmohar (5th?). The Cow by Premchand (9th?) Story about Dr. Christian Bernaard. Tale of Two Cities, Oliver Twist and Great Expectations through middle school. The Tempest and a few other plays. Khoob ladi mardani woh tou jhansi wali rani thi! :icflove: there is something about those string of words...

"Need Ka Nirman Phir Phir, Neh Ka Ahvan Phir Phir. Yah Uthee Aandhi Ki Nabh Mein Chha Gaya Sahasa Andhera, Dhooli Dhoosar Badalon Ne Bhoomi Ko Is Bhaanti Ghera, Raat Sa Din Ho Gaya Phir Raat Aayee Aur Kali. Lag Raha Tha Ab Na Hoga Is Nisha Ka Phir Savera. Raat Ke Utpaat Bhay Se Bheet Jan Jan Bheet Kan Kan, Kintu Prachi Se Usha Ki Mohini Muskaan Phir Phir. Need Ka Nirman Phir Phir, Neh Ka Ahvan Phir Phir. Kruddha Nabh Ke Vajradanton Mein Usha Hai Muskaraati, Ghor Garjanmay Gagan Ke Kanth Mein Khag Pankti Gaati. Ek Chidiya Chonch Mein Tinka Liye Jo Jaa Rahi Hai, Vah Sahaj Mein Hi Pavan Unchaas Ko Neecha Dikha Rahi Hai. Nash Ke Dukh Se Kabhi Dabta Nahin Nirmaan Ka Sukh Pralay Ki Nistabdhata Mein Srushti Ka Navgaan Phir Phir. Need Ka Nirman Phir Phir, Neh Ka Ahvan Phir Phir." -Harivanshrai Bachan

Malgudi Days, Jim Corbett, Sting of the Scorpion by Nissim Ezekiel, Shakespeare's Macbeth, Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, Charles Dickens' novels etc. (in some cases only a few lessons from the novels etc.) are some of the lessons I remember. I used to read a lot of novels myself too in those days and so, not sure about the ones that were in syllabus and the ones that I read personally. The above and a whole of others in were in my school syllabus in class 1-10 for sure including both the subjects General English as well as Advanced English. Don't remember any lessons in my Hindi classes though and I opted for alternative English instead of regional languages and Hindi in later classes.

Malgudi Days' date=' Jim Corbett, Sting of the Scorpion by Nissim Ezekiel, Shakespeare's Macbeth, [b']Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, Charles Dickens' novels etc. (in some cases only a few lessons from the novels etc.) are some of the lessons I remember. I used to read a lot of novels myself too in those days and so, not sure about the ones that were in syllabus and the ones that I read personally. The above and a whole of others in were in my school syllabus in class 1-10 for sure including both the subjects General English as well as Advanced English. Don't remember any lessons in my Hindi classes though and I opted for alternative English instead of regional languages and Hindi in later classes.
you had Illiad and Odyssey in school :omg:

वीर तुम बढ़े चलो -द्वारिकाप्रसाद माहेश्वरी वीर तुम बढ़े चलो धीर तुम बढ़े चलो साथ में ध्वजा रहे बाल दल सजा रहे ध्वज कभी झुके नहीं दल कभी रुके नहीं सामने पहाड़ हो सिंह की दहाड़ हो तुम निडर,हटो नहीं तुम निडर,डटो वहीं वीर तुम बढ़े चलो धीर तुम बढ़े चलो प्रात हो कि रात हो संग हो न साथ हो सूर्य से बढ़े चलो चन्द्र से बढ़े चलो वीर तुम बढ़े चलो धीर तुम बढ़े चलो

I remember that we had a few poems by Ogden Nash. Can't remember the exact content' date=' but something about a visit to a dentist. Found that funny too, at that time.[/quote'] Remember a poem on a cow by Nash The cow is of bovine ilk. One end is moo, the other end milk :cantstop:

Hound of Baskervilles Trojan War-Still etched in my mind--Disappointed when I saw Troy There was this chapter about Gavaskar's innings in WI in 1971 I think(vaguely remember) Also there was this Hindi story about a guy who dies and finds out how awesome it is that every one remembers him now-I think it might have been a premchand story but not sure A chapter about Dhyanchand-Still vaguely remember...probably a typo which said Major se Jamaadar ban gaye or something on those lines Gothakhor-A chapter about divers in Hindi -Just imagine 12-13 year olds getting a kick out of that name Those were the days...used to read all the stories from English and Hindi Textbooks during summer holidays itself :)

Malgudi Days' date=' Jim Corbett, Sting of the Scorpion by Nissim Ezekiel, Shakespeare's Macbeth, [b']Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, Charles Dickens' novels etc. (in some cases only a few lessons from the novels etc.) are some of the lessons I remember. I used to read a lot of novels myself too in those days and so, not sure about the ones that were in syllabus and the ones that I read personally. The above and a whole of others in were in my school syllabus in class 1-10 for sure including both the subjects General English as well as Advanced English. Don't remember any lessons in my Hindi classes though and I opted for alternative English instead of regional languages and Hindi in later classes.
I think you are referring to Trojan war....A more simplified version....that was epic :two_thumbs_up: