jj_28

Who's our No.6?  

1. 1.

• Rohit Sharma
    • Suresh Raina
    • Rahane
    • Badrinath
    • Tiwary

Rahane should open and Kohli at 6, thats what it should have been. Tbh that is a bit low for Kohli but I do not think there is much choice..Sehwag at 5 will take some adjusting to whilst he adapts his game but having started his career as a middle order batsman he should be able to do it, Kohli at 6 means there is at least someone to bat with him and also someone who has the temperament -to be able to bat with the tail...hopefully anyway... ....as I said elsewhere this was an ideal series to try that out vs a good but not great test side...Rohit is the other option if it is decided that Sehwag can continue opening...but no 6 may be too low for him to bat at...

Rohit Sharma.....If there is anyone who can replace Laxman in the 5-6 position it will be this guy ...I know there is currently a lot of hatred going on here but didn't Laxman have an ordinary start in his international career? I get the feeling he is one good innings away from take-off...Just needs the chance....when Raina can claw his way back(and I am not against his inclusion either),so should Rohit get a chance

Its a bit of nonsense when people say Rahane is a top order batsmen hence he shouldnt play at no.6 and Raina or Rohit should be preferred over him. Kohli made his debut at no.6 Pujara made his debut at no.6 and both are top order batsmen as well.Heck our greatest no.6 Laxman is a no.3 batsman as well.So can we cut this crap of Rahane shouldnt be played at no.6 since he is top order bat. If anything top order batsman at no.6 position is great when we play overseas because they often come to the crease when 2nd new ball is taken. Rahane deserves to play ahead of Raina at no.6.End of debate.Its just a shame Dhoni's personal bias is clouding his selection.

Its a bit of nonsense when people say Rahane is a top order batsmen hence he shouldnt play at no.6 and Raina or Rohit should be preferred over him. Kohli made his debut at no.6 Pujara made his debut at no.6 and both are top order batsmen as well.Heck our greatest no.6 Laxman is a no.3 batsman as well.So can we cut this crap of Rahane shouldnt be played at no.6 since he is top order bat. If anything top order batsman at no.6 position is great when we play overseas because they often come to the crease when 2nd new ball is taken.
Yeah, that is true. Infact, a lot of youngsters start out at that #6 position and slowly get promoted when an opening is there. Plus, this is not like it's One Day Cricket where a top order batsman may struggle in the lower middle order where he would have to hit out and may need a power game. And like you said, when the #6 comes around, most often the second new ball is around. If anything a #6 should be good against spin and Rahane seems fine. If I were Rahane, I'd rather take the #6 spot for now because the Sehwag/Gambhir aren't going out that quickly and Pujara is there at #3 and Tendulkar at #4. At the moment the only spot open is the #6. The only thing is if I were Rahane, I would want a promotion up the order in the upcoming years when a spot is available. This is all subject to him performing well at the test level of course.

The typical way youngsters start off in tests in established batting line ups is at number 6 - Tendulkar, Ponting, Kohli etc. because when a slot opens up the previous number 6 batsman moves up the order and the new batsman takes his place. This isn't ODI cricket where some special hitting and finishing skills are required for a number 6 batsman. Whatever a number 3 batsman can do, so can a number 6. In fact quite often the second new ball is taken when the number 6 batsman is at the crease and guys like Yuvraj, Raina, Tiwary, Bradmanath would be walking wickets in such situations opening up the tail for the new ball. You need a proper, test class batsman at the spot and at the moment Rahane is the best we have.

The typical way youngsters start off in tests in established batting line ups is at number 6 - Tendulkar, Ponting, Kohli etc. because when a slot opens up the previous number 6 batsman moves up the order and the new batsman takes his place. This isn't ODI cricket where some special hitting and finishing skills are required for a number 6 batsman. Whatever a number 3 batsman can do, so can a number 6. In fact quite often the second new ball is taken when the number 6 batsman is at the crease and guys like Yuvraj, Raina, Tiwary, Bradmanath would be walking wickets in such situations opening up the tail for the new ball. You need a proper, test class batsman at the spot and at the moment Rahane is the best we have.
Absolutely. We need top 6 batsmen, all good, no compromise. All 6 wont always score runs, so you will be sure at least 3-4 out of 6 can have good outings more often than not because if all 6 are good 1-2 failure can be covered. Individual brilliance can only take a team so far.
That's true

How are Rahane and Manoj technically? They flopped in WI - India A series, but was it because of their technique? How is their temperament? Rahane was beautiful in IPL and Manoj wonderful in the ODIs in Lanka. I am looking beyond the likes of Badrinath, Raina and Nohit.