Two explosions at Boston marathon finish line

Laaloo

This is major news. If it is confirmed' date=' it is the first terrorist attack in the US mainland since 9/11.[/quote'] I expected better from you - this might be the first "successful" attack post 9/11 but many other attacks have been attempted and aborted. I've been making this point for a long time, just because terrorism is not successful due to vigilance does not mean no one wants to carry out such attacks.

I expected better from you - this might be the first "successful" attack post 9/11 but many other attacks have been attempted and aborted. I've been making this point for a long time' date=' just because terrorism is not successful due to vigilance does not mean no one wants to carry out such attacks.[/quote'] Of course I am aware that this is not the first 'attempted' terror attack since 9/11. There have been plenty, like the failed Times Square attempt and several others. In fact in this very same board, you will find me commending US law enforcement for nipping several attempted attacks The reason why I specifically chose to highlight this aspect of the attack is because terror attacks in the Western world, unlike the subcontinent, are extremely rare. It tends to shake the psyche of the people here, unlike say people of India and Pakistan who are by now numb to it. Plus, a big part of the US foreign policy justification for all the wars/torture/drones etc has always been 'Look, its working. We've been attacked since 9/11'

Of course I am aware that this is not the first 'attempted' terror attack since 9/11. There have been plenty, like the failed Times Square attempt and several others. In fact in this very same board, you will find me commending US law enforcement for nipping several attempted attacks The reason why I specifically chose to highlight this aspect of the attack is because terror attacks in the Western world, unlike the subcontinent, are extremely rare. It tends to shake the psyche of the people here, unlike say people of India and Pakistan who are by now numb to it. Plus, a big part of the US foreign policy justification for all the wars/torture/drones etc has always been 'Look, its working. We've been attacked since 9/11'
Republicans are going to use it in the next elections and justify Cheny. So this will not go against those tactics but will give an opportunity to some people to promote it.

Of course I am aware that this is not the first 'attempted' terror attack since 9/11. There have been plenty, like the failed Times Square attempt and several others. In fact in this very same board, you will find me commending US law enforcement for nipping several attempted attacks The reason why I specifically chose to highlight this aspect of the attack is because terror attacks in the Western world, unlike the subcontinent, are extremely rare. It tends to shake the psyche of the people here, unlike say people of India and Pakistan who are by now numb to it. Plus, a big part of the US foreign policy justification for all the wars/torture/drones etc has always been 'Look, its working. We've been attacked since 9/11'
Yes, the US law enforcement has to be commended, but their policies at the same level have to be criticized. If Islamic terror is at the root of all this and Islamists in the US are as hell bent upon destroying the fabric of the country as in India then the number of attacks or attempted attacks in India should be hundreds of times more than the US given the Muslim population. What this attack - if it is Islamic terrorism based - and past ones attempted in the US show is that the manner in which India handles it's minorities is at a much superior level than the US. The discrepancy in the number of fruitful attacks are a result of superior law and order in the US, not their policies to integrate Muslims to the mainstream society being of any comparitive success to India.

Yes' date=' the US law enforcement has to be commended, but their policies at the same level have to be criticized. If Islamic terror is at the root of all this and Islamists in the US are as hell bent upon destroying the fabric of the country as in India then the number of attacks or attempted attacks in India should be hundreds of times more than the US given the Muslim population. What this attack - if it is Islamic terrorism based - and past ones attempted in the US show is that the manner in which India handles it's minorities is at a much superior level than the US. The discrepancy in the number of fruitful attacks are a result of superior law and order in the US, not their policies to integrate Muslims to the mainstream society being of any comparitive success to India.[/quote'] Cmon, do you REALLY think the Muslim terrorists are bombing Boston because they don't like how Muslim Americans are not being integrated in US ? The islamic angst against America has much more to do with American policies in Middle-east than the lack of respect for (muslim) minorities in US. Mexicans or blacks, which are far more discriminated against, should be bombing US left right and center, since they are the ones in size in US comparable to muslims in India.

Cmon, do you REALLY think the Muslim terrorists are bombing Boston because they don't like how Muslim Americans are not being integrated in US ? The islamic angst against America has much more to do with American policies in Middle-east than the lack of respect for (muslim) minorities in US. Mexicans or blacks, which are far more discriminated against, should be bombing US left right and center, since they are the ones in size in US comparable to muslims in India.
You are missing the point - a lot of people correlate terrorism with Islam and the number of Muslims. You can check previous posts of Gunner et al. who sought to make a point on those lines and how India is fecking up mollycoddling with Islam and Muslims. My point is that per capita India is nowhere close to the kind of terrorist attacks that have been aimed at the US over the last 10-15 years - so the idea that there has been no terrorist attack post 9/11 is bunk.