Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

26 minutes ago, vayuu1 said:

Earlier ishant used to be bowling 6-7 m length with a bit of scrambled seam, now he is bowling 4-5 m length regularly with more upright seam.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

what? 6-7 meter is the ideal length on any surface. 4-5 meter is a juicy half volley ready to be dispatched to the boundary. you dont bowl 4-5 meters length even in England.

what? 6-7 meter is the ideal length on any surface. 4-5 meter is a juicy half volley ready to be dispatched to the boundary. you dont bowl 4-5 meters length even in England.
I meant earlier it was 7-8 meters and now more on 5-6 meters with occasionally bowling 7 meters, yesterday nehra pointed it out ,that ishant is bowling a lot fuller than earlier and his seam and release are lot better, also he is a more high arm than previously, meaning he will get awkward bounce from good length.

13 minutes ago, vayuu1 said:

I meant earlier it was 7-8 meters and now more on 5-6 meters with occasionally bowling 7 meters, yesterday nehra pointed it out ,that ishant is bowling a lot fuller than earlier and his seam and release are lot better, also he is a more high arm than previously, meaning he will get awkward bounce from good length.

6-8 meter is called good length. On Indian pitches, bowlers will usually bowl 7-8 meter as the ideal length more often, fuller than that you will be driven for boundaries and overseas 6-7 meter as the ideal length because those pitches have more bounce and driving from there will have the chance to induce edges. Any thing back than 8 meter is short of length and short. Anything fuller than 6 is half volley unless you are Peter handscomb who batted to deep in the crease today that 5 meter delivery became good length for him.

6-8 meter is called good length. On Indian pitches, bowlers will usually bowl 7-8 meter as the ideal length more often, fuller than that you will be driven for boundaries and overseas 6-7 meter as the ideal length because those pitches have more bounce and driving from there will have the chance to induce edges. Any thing back than 8 meter is short of length and short. Anything fuller than 6 is half volley unless you are Peter handscomb who batted to deep in the crease today that 5 meter delivery became good length for him.
But the thing is as wasim use to say u have to bowl fuller abroad, compared to Subcontinent pitches, beside I don't think 5-6 m is that full, one can rather er on fuller side than shorter ,it depends on country to country as well, but usually bowlers are taught to bowl fuller to maximize the new ball with occasional short stuff, if you see guys like steyn or Anderson or bhuvi for that matter they bowl more fuller even starc as well coz that brings slip, bowled LBW into play ,the good length u are talking about will bring a lot of oohs and aahs, but with a bit more fuller length it will bring a range of dismissals into play, 6 meters may be good length in India, where bounce is low, but not abroad.

10 minutes ago, vayuu1 said:

But the thing is as wasim use to say u have to bowl fuller abroad, compared to Subcontinent pitches, beside I don't think 5-6 m is that full, one can rather er on fuller side than shorter ,it depends on country to country as well, but usually bowlers are taught to bowl fuller to maximize the new ball with occasional short stuff, if you see guys like steyn or Anderson or bhuvi for that matter they bowl more fuller even starc as well coz that brings slip, bowled LBW into play ,the good length u are talking about will bring a lot of oohs and aahs, but with a bit more fuller length it will bring a range of dismissals into play, 6 meters may be good length in India, where bounce is low, but not abroad.

6-7 meter is the ideal length irrespective of where you play outside SC. There is a reason it is called good length.  Good length is good length every where in test cricket.

6-7 meter is the ideal length irrespective of where you play outside SC. There is a reason it is called good length.  Good length is good length every where in test cricket.
No, good length differs from country to country, u can't expect a good length in India to be good length in England or Australia or South Africa, u need to take bounce and movement into consideration as well other wise batsmen will be happy to leave deliveries day in day out one has to make them play.

4 minutes ago, vayuu1 said:

No, good length differs from country to country, u can't expect a good length in India to be good length in England or Australia or South Africa, u need to take bounce and movement into consideration as well other wise batsmen will be happy to leave deliveries day in day out one has to make them play.

you can not be more wrong. good length is same everywhere and that is 6-8 meter length. Ideal length can be 6-7 meter in Aus, SA, 6 meter in England, and 7-8 meter in India. You can vary your length in between 6-7-8 meter according to the pitch but anything fuller is half volley and anything lesser is short or back of length on any pitch.

you can not be more wrong. good length is same everywhere and that is 6-8 meter length. Ideal length can be 6-7 meter in Aus, SA, 6 meter in England, and 7-8 meter in India. You can vary your length in between 6-7-8 meter according to the pitch but anything fuller is half volley and anything lesser is short or back of length on any pitch.
Read this para from sportskeeda

Dissecting a 'good-length' delivery in cricket

Everything you need to know about a 'good-length' delivery in cricket.

Sambhav Khetarpal

Share[https://statics-sportskeeda-com]'>https://statics-sportskeeda-com] '>https://statics-sportskeeda-com] '>https://statics-sportskeeda-com] [https://statics-sportskeeda-com] [https://statics-sportskeeda-com]

Updated 20:16, 19 Oct 2016 IST

[https://statics-sportskeeda-com]

India vs South Africa. Cape-Town. Third ODI. 2006.

0.1, Zaheer Khan, left-arm over, runs into bowl, with South Africa’s skipper Graeme Smith on strike. Zaheer pitches it slightly short of good length, shaping it in a touch. An uncertain Smith tepidly comes forward, as the ball wraps onto his front pad. India appeal for a leg-before, but the umpire dismisses the appeal, indicating the ball might have just gone over the top of the stumps.

0.2, This time, Zaheer pitches it just a bit further up on a good length, swinging it in. Smith, again, tries to play a half-hearted drive, but the ball sneaks between bat and pad and crashes onto the off-stump.

Jacques Kallis walks in next to bat.

0.3, Zaheer angles this across the right-handed Kallis, who looks hesitant whether to play or leave it, but decides to shoulder arms to it.

Up till that moment, Zaheer Khan had bowled three perfect deliveries around the good length area. Ideally, Kallis would have been expecting another similar delivery.

0.4, On this occasion, Zaheer surprises Kallis by bowling one full and wide. Kallis, out of instinct, goes for big swish but gets a nick to Sachin Tendulkar at first slip.

Zaheer follows it up with two more dot deliveries to Herschelle Gibbs, ending with a double-wicket maiden.

This over by Zaheer was the perfect manifestation of intelligent good length bowling by a fast bowler. Zaheer bowled five out of the six balls on a good length, leaving the South African top order clueless. So, what made Zaheer so effective in the over? What is the mystery behind batsmen being unable to negotiate a ball that lands on the good-length area? And finally, what is a good length delivery?

The answer is pretty simple, actually. A ball is termed as a ‘good-length delivery’ when it leaves the batsman in two minds, on whether he should go forward or back. Modern computer analysis reveals that a delivery pitched at a distance somewhere between 4-7 metres (4.3-7.7 yards), is considered to be at a good length. But this measurement is not definitive and is subject to various pitch conditions, such as the bounce on the wicket. To put into perspective the criticality of different conditions affecting the calculation of the ‘good length’ area, it is important to look at good lengths on different surfaces across the world.

[https://statics-sportskeeda-com]Photo credit: Rushisbiz.com

The match described above was played at Cape-Town, where the wicket is known to have good bounce. Zaheer’s first delivery hit Smith on the pads, but the umpire signalled that it would have probably gone over the stumps. If Zaheer had bowled the same delivery at Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore, where the wicket is known to possess moderate bounce, it would have definitely crashed on the middle-stump. This is how a good length varies across venues.

On a surface, where the pitch is known to produce average bounce, a distance of close to 7 metres from the batsman would keep batsman guessing about whether to go front or back. On the other hand, on a surface generating sharp bounce (such as the WACA in Perth), the good length delivery will be closer to the batsman, pitching at a distance of nearly 4 metres from the batsman. 

But why is this distance of 4-7 metres so critical? The answer is very well documented in most batting manuals. For a batsman to deal with a full-length delivery, it is crucial for him to lean forward to get his front-foot as close to the ball as possible. Similarly, to negotiate with a short delivery, a batsman must transfer his weight on his back leg, and stay upright to either cut or pull the delivery. 

So when the ball is pitched in areas where a batsman can do neither of those two things, he gets caught in two minds. That what makes a ‘good-length’ delivery so difficult to score runs to. 

Target the top of off stump to find the good length in any country or on any pitch.  

No need to focus on the area of the pitch but focus on the eventual target of the ball.

Good length will be automatically found on different types of pitches by this method.

Then bowl targeting top of off to top of 5th stump.

Punctuate this with surprise bouncers targeting the back shoulder of the batter

Edited by express bowling
Target the top of off stump to find the good length in any country or on any pitch.  

No need to focus on the area of the pitch but focus on the eventual target of the ball.

Good length will be automatically found on different types of pitches by this method.

Then bowl targeting top of off to top of 5th stump.
Exactly, but to say good length is Same in all country is not right.

7 minutes ago, vayuu1 said:

Exactly, but to say good length is Same in all country is not right.

yes, good length area is same everywhere and that is 6 to 8 meter mark. have you ever seen the pitch map when they should balls pitched. They show three areas. full that is 4-6 meter, half volley length, 6 to 8 meter good length, shorter than 8 meter is short. now it depends on the pitch whether you hit 6-7 meter mark or 7-8 meter mark. there is a variance of 3 meters 6 to 8 because no bowler is going to hit 6 meter consistently or 7 meter consistently or 8 meter consistently. so there is a variance of 3 meters and whether you hit at 6 or 8, it will be good length. if you pitch fuller than that then it will be half volley and batsman will dispatch it. i am not saying that without basis. i will show you an evidence. everyone thinks BK bowls fuller length. now full does he bowl and on what lengths he got wickets.  i will give you his pitch map of England 2014 lords test ist innings. I have said this plenty of time. you cant bowl full anywhere. Good length is the ideal length everywhere whether you are in England or Aus because that is the length where batsmen is uncertain whether to go back or forward. most people believe whatever random gibberish commentators speak. suddenly just because ishant took a few wickets, they started with the gibberish that he used to bowl short before and now is bowling full. TBH, i do not see any difference.

Now see this image of BK in England at Lords and see how many deliveries and wickets (white dots) in that 6-8 meter mark.  It is not full that is less than 6 meter but good length 6-8 meter mark.

Untitled111.png

As far as I know, good length differs from pitch to pitch, or rather country to country. Had it not been so, Srinath would have been an excellent bowler throughout his career. It mainly depends upon the bounce. So what is good length for say England, becomes a half volley for India.

The bowlers who are ATG's have the capacity to find the good length on any pitch, any condition much faster than other bowlers.

8 hours ago, express bowling said:

Shami bowling super nasty and quick bouncers, one after another, and gets Sadeera out with one.

Superb bowling from our 2 quicks

Fast bowling fans, here are the bouncers.   Enjoy !

http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/series/m184841/match-clips/shamis-bouncer-gets-sadeera/2002002726

Wicket-taking-ball at  143 k

Edited by express bowling