Robin Singh's report card

PaiN_KiLLeR

SACHIN, SOURAV, RP SINGH’S FIELDING UNDER SCANNER Robin Singh Wants Them To Improve Fitness TIMES NEWS NETWORK Mumbai: The Indian team’s fielding coach Robin Singh has come down heavily on fast bowler RP Singh in a report submitted to the Board of Control for Cricket in India. Robin submitted it at the end of the ODI series against Pakistan and the assessment is only of the players who featured in the five matches. The report, sent regularly after every series, views RP as a ‘‘very complacent fielder who loses concentration’’. The lanky left-armer was particularly tardy in the series and was guilty of dropping catches. In the third game at Kanpur in particular, RP was slow in collecting a throw from the deep while bowling and was unable to run out centurion Salman Butt. Eventually, he managed to throw the ball to ODI skipper MS Dhoni in time, but India could only manage the scalp of the non-striker, Sohail Tanvir. The other major focus of the Robin Singh report is on senior pros Sourav Ganguly and Sachin Tendulkar. Ganguly has been asked to ‘‘work on his agility, fitness and anticipation’’. The former India captain was particularly slow in reacting to a skier in the first game at Guwahati off top-scorer Md Yousuf. With his batting in the ODIs not shining, Ganguly’s fielding naturally came under the scanner. This report from Robin Singh might well give teeth to Ganguly’s critics. The best review is reserved for Yuvraj Singh who has been termed ‘‘outstanding’’, while most of the others have been asked to improve on their fitness. ROBIN SINGH’S REPORT CARD VIRENDER SEHWAG: Is very agile and quick mover on the field, needs to anticipate a little more and continue to work on fitness GAUTAM GAMBHIR: Is a much improved fielder. Should continue to work on his throwing technique and anticipation. PRAVEEN KUMAR: Is a very good outfielder. Must work on his throwing technique, balance and anticipation ROBIN UTHAPPA: Was below his normal fielding standards. Should work on his fitness, agility and throwing from the deep YUVRAJ SINGH: Fielding has been outstanding. Needs to continue working on his fitness SACHIN TENDULKAR: Needs to improve his agility and work on his fitness SOURAV GANGULY: Has to improve on his fitness, agility and anticipation MS DHONI: Work on his movements down the legside as a ‘keeper ZAHEER KHAN: Important to work on his fitness and throwing on the run SREESANTH: More emphasis on his overall fielding is necessary. Is a good athlete and has an excellent throw RP SINGH: Needs to be more consistent. Gets very complacent at times and loses concentration during the game. Work on his catching in the deep MURALI KARTIK: Concentrate on his fitness, agility and throwing HARBHAJAN SINGH: Has an excellent throw. Is very slow to take off. Important to work on his agility and speed ROHIT SHARMA: Is a brilliant fielder. Should continue to work on his agility.

I am suprised that only Yuvraj was deemed outstanding ... I thought others too would have done better like Rohit Sharma, and Robin Uthappa. Doesnt anyone else find it suprising that Sharma and Uthappa have to work on fitness and agility, while Sehwag doesnt need to work on agility? Can someone please tell me the source of this?

You guys might want to know how Robin Singh's report, which was meant just for BCCI, reached media. First read what Harsha Bhogle says: But someone needs to be worried about why Robin’s report is in the media and what it means to future reports he might want to, or have to, write. The routine leaking of information from the BCCI is something they need to worry about but currently all the action seems to focus on the trivial. The Vengsarkar issue was a small matter; a smart organization would have ticked it off a things to do list in no time at all. When the trivial begins to occupy time there is little left for the crucial. If Indian cricket, and its attendant arms, has to waste time talking and writing about a selector’s column, we are in deeper trouble than we care to admit. And I’m told the search for the coach is giving high budget reality shows a few jitters! Now Prem Panicker provides the back-ground story: There’s a bit of background to this. Ever since Robin Singh took over as fielding coach, he has been submitting reports at the end of each tour. Shortly after the team returned from the Bangladesh excursion, a freelance colleague who often writes in our cricket section contacted our sports editor Ivan Crasto and me, telling us he had a copy of Robin’s fielding report in his possession and did we want to run it. Unwilling to buy a pig in a poke, Ivan asked the freelancer to fax it across. The report seemed authentic, so we got back to him and asked how he had gotten it. Apparently a certain gent in the BCCI’s echelons, who has a rep for being a bit of a motormouth, had passed it on to him, actually calling him up to tell him it was available if he wanted it. That rang a few alarm bells; we re-read the report in context of stories then doing the rounds about the team selection exercise ahead of the England tour, and figured someone within the board was trying out a few games with some of the senior players. So we said we would pass on the report. The same freelancer called again, after the first leg of the England tour and ahead of the ODIs, this time saying he had the latest Robin report and “I guess you guys aren’t interested”? We weren’t. And now the latest report is in the Hindu. This is not, by the way, to suggest that we are somehow holier-than-the-Hindu; I’m recounting this bit here only to underline that Harsha’s concern is not only right, he in fact understates the case—the BCCI in recent times has taken to leaking chronically, compulsively; the only information that they clamp down on is their balance sheet, especially details of expenditure. For instance, some months back there was a remark by Srinivasan, after one of those board meetings, suggesting that the BCCI had spent some 100 crore (I think the figure mentioned was higher, I am quoting from memory here). That intrigued us—if you spend that kind of money, even across a dozen stadiums, it has to show; we were curious to know what had been done and where. From that point on, we tapped into every source we could think of—including the same gent who has been leaking the Robin reports. And all we got for our trouble is “We can’t talk about those things” or a terser “No comment”. Stand by for the mother of all leaks, though—if DBV quits over the issue of writing columns, as he now seems likely to do, there could be some inspired leaking by a vengeful chairman of selectors, and equally inspired counters from the BCCI. We will go to sea in a sieve, we will—and in the process, sink any semblance the BCCI might bear to a professional sporting body. ------------------------------------------------ So BCCI is better drama sensation provider than I had expected!

We don't even know if that is an authentic report or some BCCI official playing his own dirty game. And if that is the standard of report card by Robin Singh then I'm extremely disappointed. I can prepare such report card for all the XV players without meeting them even once and by just watching them play, on TV.