In Shreyas Iyer India have the next Rohit Sharma

velu

Ha ha no, this guy is far away from rohit sharma. Rohit is one of the best players of Pace whereas this guy will struggle against high pace.

Not at all convinced about him , dnt think so he ll make it that big at international level .

Shubhamn gill looks far better then him right now, once h plays 2-3 of domestic n India-A cricket ...he wud be a beast 

if you pitch the ball up to him, he can thrash any fast bowler. This is here Mavi's inexperienced was shown who kept pitching up to him, going for a yorker while Iyer was sitting back making yorkers half volley and Mavi was bowling high pace at 140-145K. Iyer struggles against quick short stuff, does not struggle against pace.  He had thrashed Steyn in his first IPL.

This IPL has been weird. Dhoni, Manati Rayudu and now Shreyas Iyer are crazy power hitters. :confused:

Iyer has been a power hitter from his U19 days.  So, not surprising at all. Even last IPL, he scored 96 from 51.  Problems is with people who think young players should destroy attacks every match.  It does not happen. It takes time for everyone to destroy attacks consistently. Even the likes of Rohit and Kohli, it took them years of international cricket before they started destroying attacks.  What likes of Pant, Kishan, Samson, Iyer have done in IPL at the age of 19-20, likes of Kohli and Rohit could not even have dreamed of.  Iyer scored 400 plus runs in IPL at the age 19, thrashing international bowlers.

Good player but have doubts against his ability against genuine pace.....Rohit is hailed as one of the best 6 hitters of all time because of his ability to dispatch 155+ bowling(without movement preferred)  with ease...Iyer's ability to hit genuine pace is still doubtful...Hope for India's sake he is as good as Rohit in LOI's at the international level

He was late on almost all the bouncers in SA. I like players who are able to make adjustments even if they make a false move. That is where i put Subhman Gill above almost everyone. He makes the adjustment if needed at the last moment. He just doesn't commit blindly and goes through with his shots. 

He was late on almost all the bouncers in SA. I like players who are able to make adjustments even if they make a false move. That is where i put Subhman Gill above almost everyone. He makes the adjustment if needed at the last moment. He just doesn't commit blindly and goes through with his shots. 

Iyer is not good against short stuff but it does not mean he cant play pace.

Good player but have doubts against his ability against genuine pace.....Rohit is hailed as one of the best 6 hitters of all time because of his ability to dispatch 155+ bowling(without movement preferred)  with ease...Iyer's ability to hit genuine pace is still doubtful...Hope for India's sake he is as good as Rohit in LOI's at the international level

i dont think Rohit has ever faced a 155kph plus bowler. 

i dont think Rohit has ever faced a 155kph plus bowler. 

Don't be literal man :) 150k many have bowled to him and he has smashed them for 6. He is a better player of short ball than Iyer whose first instinct is to back way and thrash the bowler rather than getting in line. Both are suspect against movement. That is another story. 

Don't be literal man :) 150k many have bowled to him and he has smashed them for 6. He is a better player of short ball than Iyer whose first instinct is to back way and thrash the bowler rather than getting in line. Both are suspect against movement. That is another story. 

i already said Iyer is weak against short ball pulling and hooking.

Edited by rkt.india

if you pitch the ball up to him, he can thrash any fast bowler. This is here Mavi's inexperienced was shown who kept pitching up to him, going for a yorker while Iyer was sitting back making yorkers half volley and Mavi was bowling high pace at 140-145K. Iyer struggles against quick short stuff, does not struggle against pace.  He had thrashed Steyn in his first IPL.

Indian pitches, pressure are different for both players batsman n bowler in ipl as compare to international cricket. As in steyn words- IPl is a paid vacation and as we saw with rabadda last yr he wasnt putting in same effort 

Lets say my opinion is subjective, cnt point out but dnt think this guy will do well against international pacers specially under international cricket pressure. 

Not only short stuff , a bit of movement and he is a prime candidate for LBW and even wud struggle outside off

It seemed he wasn't connectimg well, still it went for six. Or else perhaps it was my perception about his power hitting that gave me a feel it was a bad hit.

Also he play lot of flat batted shot and the way he take stance and his approach to shot making doesn't give enough confidance.

Indian pitches, pressure are different for both players batsman n bowler in ipl as compare to international cricket. As in steyn words- IPl is a paid vacation and as we saw with rabadda last yr he wasnt putting in same effort 

Lets say my opinion is subjective, cnt point out but dnt think this guy will do well against international pacers specially under international cricket pressure. 

Not only short stuff , a bit of movement and he is a prime candidate for LBW and even wud struggle outside off

In fact, international T20 is low quality than IPL. Mostly you get to play B teams in T20Is. Regarding Steyn, he did not said that at all.  This is where half truth and half knowledge is dangerous.  It was Steyn's first IPL and he had said that he felt like he was on paid vacation but then later realized it was not the case and there was far more pressure and intensity and he too had to put in hard yards.  i dont think you were even around at that time.

check this.  he later apologized too.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/355549.html

Another impressive aspect of his batting is he identifies the bowler who needs to be thrashed for runs and executes that plan well. A lot of batters have plans but fail to execute. Scored 28 runs in the last over of Shivam. 4 sixer's and 1 four. The ability to destroy a bowler in one over is a great one to possess. That's a big plus to know he can score 28 in one over. Need batsman like these who can totally dominate the bowlers.

I still feel he should have finished the match against kx11. He couldn't  able to dispatch 2 half tracker of mujeeb in the last over to win the match. That happens  when you play with lot of flat or cross batted  hoicks

It seemed he wasn't connectimg well, still it went for six. Or else perhaps it was my perception about his power hitting that gave me a feel it was a bad hit.

Iyer has always been known as a power hitter since his U19 days the reason DD had picked him. He once scored a 60 odd ball 100 against Aus U19.  But he changed his game a bit after failures in his 2nd IPL.  

I still feel he should have finished the match against kx11. He couldn't  able to dispatch 2 half tracker of mujeeb in the last over to win the match. That happens  when you play with lot of flat or cross batted  hoicks

That hit  on which he was caught at long off lacked power. Probably played against turn ? 

is there a way to hit half trackers with a straight bat?  

Iyer has always been known as a power hitter since his U19 days the reason DD had picked him. He once scored a 60 odd ball 100 against Aus U19.  But he changed his game a bit after failures in his 2nd IPL.  

He scored runs at a 200 plus sr yesterday but I will wait to see if he can play at high SR. frequently. Against Punjab he was consolidating. Scored at just 125 SR. In that match he made 57 from 45 which is  not good for someone who consumes so many balls in T20 innings. Been a mixed bag.

Edited by Straight Drive

He scored runs at a 200 plus sr yesterday but I will wait to see if he can play at high SR. frequently. Against Punjab he was consolidating. Scored at just 125 SR. In that match he made 57 from 45 which is  not good for someone who consumes so many balls in T20 innings. Been a mixed bag.

everything depends on the pitch. that was a 140 pitch. yesterday was a 180 pitch. Should i need to tell what role pitches and conditions play in cricket?

Edited by rkt.india

everything depends on the pitch. that was a 140 pitch. yesterday was a 180 pitch. Should i need to tell what role pitches and conditions play in cricket?

Yes, probably you are the only one who knows about crickey and pitches. So please enlighten. I never played cricket so pardon my ignorance. Haven't touched a season ball in life. I seek advise from gully cricketers.

Personally I would like to see Rishabh or Sanju ahead of Shreyas in the T20i. He looks to consolidate  a lot and stretches it till end, like Dhoni. A risky strategy because if he gets out while accelerating then the other batsman have to compensate for his SR and that put extra pressure on others.Yesterday the big over came in the very end. T20 stars score big overs early in innings as well. Do you think this is one of his problem area ?

Edited by Straight Drive