Vijay Shankar: I want to be a genuine allrounder

rkt.india

On 10/13/2017 at 10:42 AM, maniac said:

Exactly doesn't need to...a genuine no 5 who can bowl a few overs like Watson is what we need him to be...we already have Pandya so we can accommodate both

You are underestimating how good a bowler Watson was,moreover Watson the batsman other than his plonking front foot issue was very good and under achieved  as a batsman.

I have never seen Shankar bat but if he is anywhere close to Watson, he should be in the team ASAP.

On 2/19/2017 at 6:58 AM, putrevus said:

He plays most of his games in Chennai, where that pitch is flat as pancake , I do not think his batting average is an indication of his ability

is the rest of the country spitting mambas ? and even if Chennai is extremely flat does his bowling average get a benefit then ?

8 minutes ago, Vilander said:

is the rest of the country spitting mambas ? and even if Chennai is extremely flat does his bowling average get a benefit then ?

Rest of country may not be spitting mambas but Chennai, Nagpur and Rajkot are few pitches which are just flat and they are nightmare for bowlers.His highest FC  score is 111 which is very low for a guy who will have to bat in top six that too playing in Chennai.

We could give his bowling average a benefit but he has taken just 21 FC wickets in five season what benefit of doubt you want to give to it.

I am talking about test team not odis or t20s. You don't give test caps based on what he has shown so far.

Edited by putrevus
3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Rest of country may not be spitting mambas but Chennai, Nagpur and Rajkot are few pitches which are just flat and they are nightmare for bowlers.His highest FC  score is 111 which is very low for a guy who will have to bat in top six that too playing in Chennai.

We could give his bowling average a benefit but he has taken just 21 FC wickets in five season what benefit of doubt you want to give to it.

I am talking about test team not odis or t20s. You don't give test caps based on what he has shown so far.

not convinced that Chennai is that flat a wicket it takes spin for sure but its a true pitch and has always had test matches played in it Nagpur a times can be flat, Rajkot is a ODi ground if i am not wrong. Generally Indian wickets are flat dustbowls i dont think there is much variance in between them to call some flat and some sporting, ofcourse the traditional new green wickets are good the freshly laid eden dharamshala till last season, mohali a few years back but those are against the norm of flat indian wickets.

Not sure about vijay shankars batting seriously or bowling may be he needs a couple of more seasons in domestic i agree, but just curious what did pandya do in domestics before getting a test call up ?

7 minutes ago, Vilander said:

not convinced that Chennai is that flat a wicket it takes spin for sure but its a true pitch and has always had test matches played in it Nagpur a times can be flat, Rajkot is a ODi ground if i am not wrong. Generally Indian wickets are flat dustbowls i dont think there is much variance in between them to call some flat and some sporting, ofcourse the traditional new green wickets are good the freshly laid eden dharamshala till last season, mohali a few years back but those are against the norm of flat indian wickets.

Not sure about vijay shankars batting seriously or bowling may be he needs a couple of more seasons in domestic i agree, but just curious what did pandya do in domestics before getting a test call up ?

He played for Mumbai Indians :listen:

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

He is 27 if he needs more maturing then he will never be international class.Pandya I feel got a test cap based on his bowling speed and I still don't think he is good enough to no 6 long term.

Pandya has been given a gift which very few people get it, it is totally up to him to sustain it.I don't think he will last long as I just don't see enough batting ability especially against fast bowlers to last longer.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

he will never be international class

how do you say that ? he seems good enough based on what he has done so far, Tests i dont know never seen him play FC an 21 wickets in three seasons means he is not really a bowler who can be banked on, but batting looks solid. may be he has bowled better last season and need 1-2 seasons to prove he belongs, then a shot ? 29 ish could go on a a 3-4 years if he is successful, you never know.

4 minutes ago, Vilander said:

how do you say that ? he seems good enough based on what he has done so far, Tests i dont know never seen him play FC an 21 wickets in three seasons means he is not really a bowler who can be banked on, but batting looks solid. may be he has bowled better last season and need 1-2 seasons to prove he belongs, then a shot ? 29 ish could go on a a 3-4 years if he is successful, you never know.

I hope I am wrong but as a test prospect I don't see him making it.Well he is going to get his chances in Odis and T20s where he can show his talent may be he is late bloomer as you said.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

I hope I am wrong but as a test prospect I don't see him making it.Well he is going to get his chances in Odis and T20s where he can show his talent may be he is late bloomer as you said.

From what i heard on ICF and elsewhere that he has very strong technique and gun player against spinners

I fail to see any merit in playing Vijay. Batting is not going that deep that he is called upon so might as well use a real bowler. Once again I want to go back to my rant there is no such thing as an allrounder. They do not exist.