Indian test cricket from depths of despair to Bright sunshine from Dhoni to Virat the journey , compare

2 hours ago, zep1706 said:

In my opinion (and I have said this at least 10 times here) the thing that separates Kohli, the test captain from Dhoni is his passion for the format. Dhoni never really cared about test cricket and it was evident from his approach. He often treated test cricket as 5 days of one day cricket with his "funky" captaincy. He regularly sat back, let the game drift and he was very reluctant to make changes. I know this might sound harsh but Dhoni is easily one of the worst test captains I have seen. Kohli on the other hand tries to do the basics right and he is very proactive. His real test would be when he captains in England/SA/Aus but I don't see him doing worse than Dhoni. In fact from what I have seen so far I am quite optimistic about his captaincy and our chances. 

completely agree..

dhoni might have thought test matches are for gays only 

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

That was my point, Ashwin blossomed under Kohli , that being said when Ash was getting low scores in Srilanka Kohli demoted him no9 or no 10 and let Mishra bat ahead of him.Ashwin promptly score 50 plus in that inning and has not looked back since.

I am not in dressing room but Kohli has put out notice to every one no one is irreplaceable and it is team which matters the most and that is the most pleasing aspect of Kohli.

Putrevus,  Its on public record that Ash was carrying a tennis elbow injury during SL tour, and was having difficulty batting.  That's why he batted lower down the order - not because Dhoni mismanaged him as a batsman.   

This is the thing with subjective interpretation - sometimes we don't know all the facts that go into the equation - and are quick to take the circumstantial facts that we do know - to fit our own confirmation bias.  Not to pick on Putrevus here.  Just making a general point.  And not to give Dhoni a free pass either - I've said it multiple times before and will say it again - Dhoni was very poor as test captain at multiple times during his captaincy career - he did a few things right too, but he was not able to get the best out of his team.  

Credit really has to be given to VK, for having a vision - he recognized very early that he could build a team of world beaters if a few things can be improved.  And he has really done a lot in trying to give our bowlers the best chance to win games.  Be it supporting the pacers, giving the bowling unit the cushion of playing 5 bowlers - these were not obvious moves and carried risk.  The man went out there and pulled the trigger - good on him.  And great for Team India.

28 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Putrevus,  Its on public record that Ash was carrying a tennis elbow injury during SL tour, and was having difficulty batting.  That's why he batted lower down the order - not because Dhoni mismanaged him as a batsman.   

This is the thing with subjective interpretation - sometimes we don't know all the facts that go into the equation - and are quick to take the circumstantial facts that we do know - to fit our own confirmation bias.  Not to pick on Putrevus here.  Just making a general point.  And not to give Dhoni a free pass either - I've said it multiple times before and will say it again - Dhoni was very poor as test captain at multiple times during his captaincy career - he did a few things right too, but he was not able to get the best out of his team.  

Credit really has to be given to VK, for having a vision - he recognized very early that he could build a team of world beaters if a few things can be improved.  And he has really done a lot in trying to give our bowlers the best chance to win games.  Be it supporting the pacers, giving the bowling unit the cushion of playing 5 bowlers - these were not obvious moves and carried risk.  The man went out there and pulled the trigger - good on him.  And great for Team India.

I did not know that, but I distinctly remember Sunil Gavaskar saying Ashwin was demoted, I might be wrong that was not my point.My point is it under Virat Ashwin blossomed as allrounder , he was promoted ahead of Saha. Kohli has more flexibility in  team, he made Pujara opener in Srilanka and he himself batted at no3.

Dhoni was more rigid in changing the teams that was the point i was making.

^ Agree with you on Dhoni's rigidity.  A captain does have a non-trivial influence on a team's performances - he can affect the team's output anywhere from + to - 10% -  In sport, sometimes results depend on a fraction of a percent.  So definitely material impact on results.  

I don't think its inaccurate to say that under Dhoni, our test team did not perform to its optimum capacity, and under Virat its showing signs of doing so.  Having said that, Dhoni's been absolutely legendary as an ODI captain, his travails of the last 2 years notwithstanding...

Mr Dhoni " Do we need a fast bowler or a good bowler? Unfortunately you could not give confidence or develop any bowler in your captaincy, wish he was fired few years earlier as captain we would not have gotten so low, Virat has shown what intent, foresight, planning is, now we have spinners and pacers both being used n when we go abroad we have a developed pace attack n we will see them succeed, Dhoni was very poor test captain, ever since he left the team looks completely different and at a diff level

Virat ,Kumble, Dravid seem to have formed a great team working in the background proactively in nurturing n promoting promising cricketers in A team n Domestic sides to have them ready for international duties, by calling in Thampi n Aniket where people miscrued it was solely due to Starcs threat Indian team called Aniket for practise but it looks like Virat n Kumble have future plans n since we conquered everything at home n now will tour extensively after Aussie tests, they have worked out in creating  bench n squad that could help us win in AUS, SA,NZ and we have never seen this happen with Dhoni where he has never changed a side irrespective of pitch, away tours or conditions n never set out to try n achieve n not embaress ourselves when touring.

We are seeing as a result Pandya, Shankar, Aniket, Sran, Nair, Jadhav, K Yadav, Sangwan ,Thampi coming to the fore.

7 hours ago, Mahaa Raavana said:

The hype bubble has burst... you can point and say many things about Dhoni.. but the Indian team never looked so meek or lost  under his guidance at home. The man fought tooth and nail till the very end.. 

You still salty that we beat your ass in 2015 2-1?

You guys haven't ever won a test match in India FFS.