Ranji Trophy 2016/17

Bleed-Blue

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

I want to see Pant batting in a FC match.

Shreyas Iyer has problems with both rising deliveries and off-stump deliveries...especially the former.

I want to see how Pant tackles  these.

The fact that Pant  tackled Pankaj Singh on a juicy track sort of gives hope that his off-stump game is ok...because Pankaj bowls very immaculate line off-stump deliveries that swing away at decent pace.

Both Pankaj and Aniket are very tall and get bounce...so there is reason for hope on the bounce-front too.

Iyer plays across a lot m sure someone like Philander, starc, amir , boult would even trouble him with incoming deilveries

On 11/21/2016 at 11:54 PM, express bowling said:

In the Duleep trophy. he was having distinct problems against bouncers and rising short deliveries by the faster bowlers.

Looked superb against spinners.

Pity he can't improve against the short ball - his skills against spin remind me of the great attacking batsmen of India's past - SRT of early and mid 90s, Sidhu, VVS, etc.

14 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

Pankaj Singh has a very good outswing and he doesn’t have a pronounced inswing as his variation is basically a scrambled seam delivery which goes with the angle. This is for right handers so for Left handers like Pant it would be just inswing deliveries that he would bowl.

It is a shame that we are unable to see Pant batting in Ranjis this year. It would have been great to see his technique to judge International potential. I am still sceptical regarding him for longer format as he has a high percentage of aerial boundaries which may not work in International cricket. Almost all big hitters have average test careers because there is high percentage of risk in getting out to aerial shots. Even the big hitting Sehwag would hit most shots along the ground to pacers.

Let’s hope we can see him soon in a telecasted match.

Very astute observations -  I'm also skeptical about Pant and Kishan to some extent. Hooda has not scored as many 6's although he failed on Lahil (like everyone else).

14 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

Pankaj Singh has a very good outswing and he doesn’t have a pronounced inswing as his variation is basically a scrambled seam delivery which goes with the angle. This is for right handers so for Left handers like Pant it would be just inswing deliveries that he would bowl.

It is a shame that we are unable to see Pant batting in Ranjis this year. It would have been great to see his technique to judge International potential. I am still sceptical regarding him for longer format as he has a high percentage of aerial boundaries which may not work in International cricket. Almost all big hitters have average test careers because there is high percentage of risk in getting out to aerial shots. Even the big hitting Sehwag would hit most shots along the ground to pacers.

Let’s hope we can see him soon in a telecasted match.

Many valid points.

Pankaj bowls a very good off-stump line to left-handers even and has a delivery which holds its line or seams away a bit.  Would test a left-hander on the off-stump too.

I would like to see whether Pant plays along the ground for deliveries which he is not trying to hit for 6s....or are a high % of 4s hit are also aerial shots.

14 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Despite not being in great touch, Shreyas Iyer still averages 51 this season.

Still a big come down from last season... although it cannot be called 2nd season blues (actually 3rd season blues), it's a bit lower than what I hoped - was hoping for around 60. If he gets into groove, maybe the boundaries will start flowing.

Karnataka fought back and didn't lose the gam. Good Show from the two Gowthams and Gopal. They are hot favs this year to grab the RT yet again

CM Gautam (95) and Shreyas Gopal (77) helped Karnataka stave off defeat and walk away with one point against Odisha in New Delhi. Karnataka were 81 ahead with four wickets in hand when play began. They drove ahead to 393, with he last four wickets contributing 162. K Gowtham, the offspinner, made 46 of those at No. 9. Set a target of 231 in 32 overs, Odisha's openers batted cautiously to end on 63 without loss and walk away with the first-innings honours. This was the first time this season that Karnataka conceded a lead. However, they continued to top the group.