Parthiv Patel in third test?

kosingh

Patel is a good backfoot player he has played the likes of Lee Johnson comfortably.I was laughing when england tried to bounce him.But he is so bad behind stumps missed 4-5 chances this test.He can play as opener I guess.

He missed two chances this test.Both of Bairstow in first innings .

Which are the other chances ?

Dropped Hameed in the second innings. Fairly regulation keeper catch.

I didn't watch it but from cricinfo made it looked like it even a half chance .

From cricinfo do comm :

Ashwin to Hameed, no run, dropped. There is drift on this offbreak, and it doesn't turn. Takes the edge. A thick one, and Patel can't hold on. To be fair to him, this is a thick edge. Not even half a chance. It hits his pad. The deviation is big .

Was it really a regulation miss?

58 minutes ago, goose said:

If this was his test debut as opening batsman he'd be a shoe-in as a pure batting pick for the foreseeable future The lad is only 30 and deserves to get the rest of this series at minimum.

Especially given that both our first choice openers are injured and slumping.  And the 3rd choice is failing even at Ranji level.  Although I don't read too much into that.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Especially given that both our first choice openers are injured and slumping.  And the 3rd choice is failing even at Ranji level.  Although I don't read too much into that.

well even if shikhar dhawan had scored at the Ranji match now, not sure we can think of him as "Test player". Anderson, Woakes and Broad will get him to edge to slips or gully every time.

32 minutes ago, fineleg said:

well even if shikhar dhawan had scored at the Ranji match now, not sure we can think of him as "Test player". Anderson, Woakes and Broad will get him to edge to slips or gully every time.

Anyone can get him to do that. Pappu has batted well... but his keeping was as poor as expected.