Outside cricket, what has Tendulkar been for India ?

narenpande1

9 minutes ago, Vilander said:

People who call him god etc make me cringe. It feeds into type casting against India unnecessarily, like Indians make God out of everything, they are so emotional about their cricketers, they revere their cricketers as immortals, hindus basically have many Gods including sachin etc.

He is as selfish, profit oriented, as 'will bend rules to make a quick buck' as any other Indian. Ok with that.

I share that feeling. It is unwise to be using such terms unnecessarily .... Give these guys all the respect they deserve but branding them "God" is unnecessary and can make Ind fans appear stupid

16 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Its arguable that he had fellow greats, does it make Kallis,Sangakara etc gods too ? do they make temples for them too. Its a very irksome hyperbole, some dim wit mf will then create a template and do a pooja for a tendulkar statute for cheap publicity, its just about perception.

Did I miss something? Is there a temple for Sachin constructed somewhere?

Leave alone Sachin,Some idiot built a temple where the statue of the deity was based on Khushboo too....now here is Sachin who was the best in his profession....Khushboo c'mon...did she win any awards even at a local level....idiots will exist everywhere but you can't generalize based on that....now passionate fan following is different from being a total tool.

Doing Pooja during cricket games or even in Pakistan where people do Namaz during an Ind-Pak game it's pretty much a part and parcel for a sport where people are emotionally invested.....superstitions and praying is not just a SC trait,I have seen insane behavior even for club games in soccer.

Edited by maniac

12 minutes ago, zen said:

I share that feeling. It is unwise to be using such terms unnecessarily .... Give these guys all the respect they deserve but branding them "God" is unnecessary and can make Ind fans appear stupid

Why are you getting so hung up on the "god" word...I have seen it used as an expression for pretty much every sporting mega star be it Messi,Maradona or even Sampras,Federer..

If someone says Nadal is the god on the clay court,that shows how good he is,not exactly saying he is god.

Coming back to the topic, as I had said, I think that what Sachin wants to do should be his personal choice. Whether he wants to donate money or participate in activities that can make a positive impact to drive changes in Ind is his decision. Sachin not doing this or that despite his potential to influence things should not go against him. And we don't know what he could be doing privately / anonymously

Having said that I would love to see Sachin champion the cause for a "clean and green" India including how we protect the environment and endangered spieces. By championing, I do not mean donating money but serving as a face to spread such a vision, drive awareness and potentially a change 

One of my all time favorite sportsmen is Senna. He was treated and lived like a king in Brazil. He also donated a lot to uplift the poor children of Brazil, one of the causes that he believed in (http://www.institutoayrtonsenna.org.br/)

24 facts about Senna

:hail:

Edited by zen

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

Did I miss something? Is there a temple for Sachin constructed somewhere?

Leave alone Sachin,Some idiot built a temple where the statue of the deity was based on Khushboo too....now here is Sachin who was the best in his profession....Khushboo c'mon...did she win any awards even at a local level....idiots will exist everywhere but you can't generalize based on that....now passionate fan following is different from being a total tool.

Doing Pooja during cricket games or even in Pakistan where people do Namaz during an Ind-Pak game it's pretty much a part and parcel for a sport where people are emotionally invested.....superstitions and praying is not just a SC trait,I have seen insane behavior even for club games in soccer.

yup the all the temples for celebs are the same, this hyperbole culture is what is feeding into this stupidity.

2 minutes ago, zen said:

Coming back to the topic, as I had said, I think that what Sachin wants to do should be his personal choice. Whether he wants to donate money or participate in activities that can make a positive impact to drive changes in Ind is his decision. Sachin not doing this or that despite his potential to influence things should not go against him. And we don't know what he could be doing privately / anonymously .... Having said that I would love to see Sachin champion the cause for a "clean and green" India including how we protect the environment and endangered spieces. By championing, I do not mean donating money but serving as a face to spread such a vision, drive awareness and potentially a change 

One of my all time favorite sportsman is Senna. He was treated and lived like a king in Brazil. He also donated a lot to uplift the poor children of Brazil, one of the causes that he believed in (http://www.institutoayrtonsenna.org.br/)

24 facts about Senna

:hail:

There is a video of Sachin volunteering during Swacch Bharat abhiyaan...it wasn't a photo op...he actually took the initiative.I am at work so will post teh video later unless you guys can look it up for yourself.

20 minutes ago, maniac said:

Why are you getting so hung up on the "god" word...I have seen it used as an expression for pretty much every sporting mega star be it Messi,Maradona or even Sampras,Federer..

If someone says Nadal is the god on the clay court,that shows how good he is,not exactly saying he is god.

This is what is being referred to - Link

temple in Bihar

This is not Sachin's fault though 

17 minutes ago, maniac said:

There is a video of Sachin volunteering during Swacch Bharat abhiyaan...it wasn't a photo op...he actually took the initiative.I am at work so will post teh video later unless you guys can look it up for yourself.

Good. But I would appreciate a more sustained (and dedicated by may be setting up an institute) effort including to curb pollution, fight against exploitation of women, kids and senior citizens, protection of wild life, etc. 

1 hour ago, laaloo said:

not that there's anything wrong with that

although in this case, I was referring to fans more than the player

I hope you realize there is more to his fans. This generalisation of yours in a random thread in chit chat section where Dhoni isn't even remotely involved is irritating.

Just now, Sidhoni said:

I hope you realize there is more to his fans. This generalisation of yours in a random thread in chit chat section where Dhoni isn't even remotely involved is irritating.

I thought it was perfectly fine. Why should only sachin fans be called chutiyas? Why the discrimination?

Just now, laaloo said:

I thought it was perfectly fine. Why should only sachin fans be called chutiyas? Why the discrimination?

Because this thread has sachin fans jumping around and there are words being exchanged :dontknow:

I was not talking specifically about this thread anyway. Lately nearly every post of yours is demeaning to Dhoni and/or his fans, no matter what the thread may be about.

And of course you are a moderator, if someone else was doing the same to your favourite player he wouldn't have survived.

Just now, Sidhoni said:

Because this thread has sachin fans jumping around and there are words being exchanged :dontknow:

I was not talking specifically about this thread anyway. Lately nearly every post of yours is demeaning to Dhoni and/or his fans, no matter what the thread may be about.

And of course you are a moderator, if someone else was doing the same to your favourite player he wouldn't have survived.

if you got a problem with me report the post or put me on block. see if i give a damn. there are people here demeaning kohli too. They are still here. It has nothing to do with being a mod. I've criticized dhoni and his strategies only. There are posters here who accused dhoni of match fixing, sleeping with Jadeja/ ishant. They are still here. If you got a problem with me criticizing dhonis captaincy, batting sometimes, then you've got a bigger problem in life.

1 minute ago, laaloo said:

if you got a problem with me report the post or put me on block. see if i give a damn. there are people here demeaning kohli too. They are still here. It has nothing to do with being a mod. I've criticized dhoni and his strategies only. There are posters here who accused dhoni of match fixing, sleeping with Jadeja/ ishant. They are still here. If you got a problem with me criticizing dhonis captaincy, batting sometimes, then you've got a bigger problem in life.

"Criticize" lol. If you were only being critical of his captaincy and batting his fans wouldn't have been mentioned in every other post. What ICF in general does is genuinely critizing, all you do is troll away with your one liners looking to rile us up. How are you different from Viper?

1 minute ago, Sidhoni said:

"Criticize" lol. If you were only being critical of his captaincy and batting his fans wouldn't have been mentioned in every other post. What ICF in general does is genuinely critizing, all you do is troll away with your one liners looking to rile us up. How are you different from Viper?

Good to see you ignore everything I said and looking to nitpick. Go look at my posts and quote here. Or do it via pm.

2 minutes ago, Sidhoni said:

I do not have the time to go through so many posts right now. Would love to do it soon though.

Sure.

Let me start you off with that:

Last post I had made about Dhoni was something like " Amazing what difference in captaincy and backing his bowlers can do". What is wrong with that? I got 4 likes by reputed posters. They all shared the same sentiment as me.

Edited by laaloo

Maybe he just isnt a leader. Neither on the pitch or off the pitch.  You need leadership skills to lead others and do & complete big things especially in public work. Instead, He seems to prefer to follow and contribute his share indirectly than lead the way. 

The reasons are another matter on why he shows or has lack of leadership.

11 hours ago, laaloo said:

Sure.

Let me start you off with that:

Last post I had made about Dhoni was something like " Amazing what difference in captaincy and backing his bowlers can do". What is wrong with that? I got 4 likes by reputed posters. They all shared the same sentiment as me.

We'll see the amazingness when they go overseas. In first 20 tests as captain both have identical records.