Areas where Kohli is better than Tendulkar as a player.

narenpande1

Man you make too much for pitches. Adeialide is the test where Australia scored 600 and we got bundled out twice. The surface had in it to bat but we struggled to keep p'ships going in 2011-12. Similarly we showed in 2015 that Adelaide is good for bating and we finally put good decent scores even though we lost.

in 2004 there was similar case too and pretty much in 08, 2011 amd 2015 in venues like for example the SCG. 

Again in SCG we struggled in 2011 in first innings batting first and Dhoni and Ashwin had a p'ship on day one down the order, proving that pitch was easy to bat if you apply. In 2015 though, we batted well on similar strip. 

We just batted bad on 2011 tour. Kohli was the stand out performer with most runs and even the he wasn't at his best as he was still a bit new. He came 4 years later and doubled his total and hit 4 centuries and scored about 700 runs. He was just special and he applied himself on all the pitches which would assist bowlers a bit always. 

Fact is all Australian pitches will have something in it for batsmen wether the Perth pitch or Gabba or MCG. Also at the same time they will assist bowlers a bit. You get rewarded for good line and can cause problems. Batsmen have to make sure they take their time. We made errors and it messed us big time in 2011. In 2015, Kohli came to our rescue. It wasn't the pitches. He did it and deserves the credit.

/topic

I actually pointed out how even our seamers effected top order collapses in 2012 .Even Aussies struggled initially till they saw out that phase and then rack up the scores .

In 2016 there was only Gabba which had similar conditions .Every other one had roads .

There was a lot of sideways movement in 2012.Virtually nothing in 2016.

7 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

I actually pointed out how even our seamers effected top order collapses in 2012 .Even Aussies struggled initially till they saw out that phase and then rack up the scores .

In 2016 there was only Gabba which had similar conditions .Every other one had roads .

Could it be possible that our seamers were in better form in 2012 or the Aussie batsmen were in lesser form then ?

you must have microscopically recorded both the series ball by ball with multiple cameras embedded in the pitches to talk about the pitches  in this confident manner 

Edited by narenpande1

@cricketics

Australian wickets are always the best batting conditions in international cricket as long as you can handle bounce.Thet has been the case for a long time

It was only different for 2-3 years around 2011 when conditions changed a lot .We weren't the only recipient of those conditions either.England won Ashes in similar conditions with lot of sideways movement and Pakistan even bowled out Australia for less than hundred in 100 in a similar wicket in Sydney.

18 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

There was at all the venues but our bowlers were pathetic on that tour. Shami bowled well in patches but did not get support much from the other end. 

Meanwhile Hazlewood and Ryan Harris bowled exceptionally well and got the big wickets and were supported by Lyon. 

Our pacers kept trying to bowl short and bounce the Aussies out and kept leaking runs. There was a time we had to over bowl Shami because guys like Umesh were leaking runs. Shami leaked too but he was the only one getting wickets.  Meanwhile for Australia Lyon was the one who leaked runs and got wiclets too as their pacers kept run rate in check and set up the game by taking out our top order every game.

There was at all the venues but our bowlers were pathetic on that tour. Shami bowled well in patches but did not get support much from the other end. 

Meanwhile Hazlewood and Ryan Harris bowled exceptionally well and got the big wickets and were supported by Lyon. 

Our pacers kept trying to bowl short and bounce the Aussies out and kept leaking runs. There was a time we had to over bowl Shami because guys like Umesh were leaking runs. Shami leaked too but he was the only one getting wickets.  Meanwhile for Australia Lyon was the one who leaked runs and got wiclets too as their pacers kept run rate in check and set up the game by taking out our top order every game.

Not really .Aussies won Adelaide mainly because of Lyon and poor umpiring .

Brisbane was helpful as I said.

Otherwise Aussie seamers struggled as bad as us or we made them look bad with our quality batting (either way the points the same)and failed to 20 wickets in the other tests .They were marginally better because they won all 3 tosses on those flat wickets and were helped by scoreboard pressure .

As I said in earlier post, Aussie wickets are always the flattest in recent memory except for Gabba and Wacca to an extent (there the breeze helps swing bowling apart from the pace).Only the 2010-12 was exception and we werent the only team that encountered such conditions then.

27 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Not really .Aussies won Adelaide mainly because of Lyon and poor umpiring .

Brisbane was helpful as I said.

Otherwise Aussie seamers struggled as bad as us or we made them look bad with our quality batting (either way the points the same)and failed to 20 wickets in the other tests .They were marginally better because they won all 3 tosses on those flat wickets and were helped by scoreboard pressure .

As I said in earlier post, Aussie wickets are always the flattest in recent memory except for Gabba and Wacca to an extent (there the breeze helps swing bowling apart from the pace).Only the 2010-12 was exception and we werent the only team that encountered such conditions then.

Most Aussie players were playing Sheffield shield during the same time in the same grounds when india came as it was the start of the season. Smith and Clarke wanted the team to get used to the wickets before India came. All their shield games were producing some results in four days due to some assistance in the pitches for the bowlers. Same tracks few weeks later were used by India and Australia in test series.

All the games in Australia will produce runs but there will always be something for bowlers. Hazlewood showed it and Shami showed it too as he bowled really well in patches. 

3 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Why does anyone has to take it personally? I said it in that thread as well , you are better than me in every respect. 

To me, sachin fans as a group come across as unreasonable/sentimental/foolish when it comes to sachin. Maybe it's only a few who are making it look bad.

Naren had another ID. That doesn't matter. I am just reading his views and happen to agree with most of them.

What's up with statements like these? Don't be too hard on yourself. You're not that bad.

14 hours ago, narenpande1 said:

@laaloo

Dude seriously..Have some integrity and honesty if nothing else as a moderator here.

1) Pls  show me one post where i have spoken an ill word against sachin ? Lets see it. 

2) I have never ever made any comparison against Lara specifically under my handle many years back . I dare you to pull it up. I did do a similar stats with peers, where he was found outdone by his peers.

Now even if ANYONE ( randomguy ) has so what ????

Is Sachin your or anyone here's  father or brother or uncle ???

Why take it so damn personally ???

Treat a sportsman/ entertainer as one- your lot make any questions against him as one attacking your family's dignity  or something. 

And if anybody on this forum has made any comparison of Sachin with X and Y and Z.... so WHAT ?????

Is that not what a discussion forum is supposted to be for ??? Or is a forum supposed to be to pea brained 1 liners on live matches and posting  pictures of food on chitchat? 

Why react to it as if some blasphemy has been commited ??

your lot and the  fanboy bridge in reality are actually the culprits.

these people attack anyone who does not accept his cult status with a vicious mad mob mentality and start attacking the poster personally with names

1) Pls  show me one post where i have spoken an ill word against sachin ? Lets see it. 

Why are you getting so defensive? Have "Sachin Bhakts" you call them said bad names about kohli? Called his fans chutiyas? 

Undeserving Jackass?

you were called for name calling by the admin on this site btw. 

We are called 'lame and repulsive' fans!!

Some of his fans are called pitable chutiyas!!

I dont have the time but you can read that thread over again. You were warned countless times. 

Because Sachin means more to some people than just a cricketer. Most of them basically 'grew' up with him. They were in awe of him. This guy is a child prodigy. I don't understand one thing. If "chutiyas" like us believe that he is the greatest cricketer ever, then why do you have a problem with that? We're not coming to your house with dhol and shouting loudly at you? It seems like you have had some personal run ins with fans like these and this is your chance at 'payback' 

2) I have never ever made any comparison against Lara specifically under my handle many years back . I dare you to pull it up. I did do a similar stats with peers, where he was found outdone by his peers.

I may be mistaken here. But one other admin said you were Patriot andI have had discussions with patriot in the past. He used to bring Lara vs Sachin discussions. If you are not Patriot, then I apologize. 

No. I do not have any relations with Sachin. I wish I did though. 

I take it personal because of the name calling. You wanna compare everyone against sachin. Go ahead but stop the damn name calling. Everyone else has been courteous to you but you seem to be easily rattled. 

And if anybody on this forum has made any comparison of Sachin with X and Y and Z.... so WHAT ?????

I don't care about that. You can make SRT vs Imran Nazir threads for all I care. No one's stopping you. 

Is that not what a discussion forum is supposted to be for ??? Or is a forum supposed to be to pea brained 1 liners on live matches and posting  pictures of food on chitchat? 

Aww come on. I make some really good food.

How have we reacted? Have we banned you? Have we given you infractions? Have we called you pitable chutiyas? Have we called you a jackass?

these people attack anyone who does not accept his cult status with a vicious mad mob mentality and start attacking the poster personally with names

Where have you been attacked? You are the ones attacking us with names. 

Do you consider calling you out for leaving India an attack? 

So now you have started attacking me and various other posters but you believe we are mobs who are attacking you. Yeah good observational skills. 

Edited by laaloo

Why is every one so emotionally charged in this thread? Almost as if people have something at stake.

The cricketing view points and the scorecards and averages have been rattled here ad nauseum. There is another viewpoint, intangible albeit;

People used to switch their television sets offs when Sachin got out. I do not see the same happen for Kohli.

More over, Sachin meant a lot more to Mumbai than what Kohli means to Delhi. For instance in Mumbai, Sachin was a unifier. The Maharashtrians, Gujaratis, Sindhis, Muslims, North Indians all cheered for him. He was everyone's favourite. He was the under dog and easy to relate to.

I do not think Kohli has this kind of sway over his home city. Maybe cricket doesn't have that kind of sway anymore.  Kohli has never been the underdog. 

7 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

Yea .I don't have any special parameters for Kohli.But when u want to compare to a ATG like Sachin then yeah special parameters apply.His fault also will be analysed .

Yes every batsman score a lot in flat wickets but ATG batsmen score a lot in tough wickets as well.

Mate as for the T20 knock , seriously Viru scored exceptional hundreds in new Zealand in Odis when it swinging like anything.Yet in test cricket he never felt comfortable against swing.Playing sideways movement in white ball and red ball are completely different

I am not criticising Kohli.Just putting up in perspective he has a long long way to go before even being compared with someone like Sachin.

Kohli still has a lot to achieve.Most of his runs has come mostly in flat batting wickets whether some like it or not apart from SA.He struggled with movement in England and struggled at home when we played with turners against SA .These are factual.This isn't a slight on by the way Kohli because most of our current batsmen have issues.Rahane is struggling against turning deliveries (One test against SA doesn't change that) and Pujara has big problems against bounce (His 169 at wanderers doesn't change that)..Same with Kohli an one of knock in Perth won't change the fact that he has issues with sideways movement when he has struggled against them badly. When you are to be a great batsmen he has to prove he can also score in tough conditions whether spin or seam.T his applies to all our current generation batsmen not just Kohli.

He has a long way to go as a test batsman .He was averaging what 45? before this series .As I said he wasn't even considered our best test batsmen before this England series . Suddenly comparison with Sachin ?

I am not comparing Tendulkar with Kohli, especially in test matches.......it is rather pointless doing that  when one has completed a legendary career and the other is about one third into it.  It is unfair to both players. Kohli can end up not even reaching 50% of what Tendulkar achieved or may even surpass him in terms of impact on Indian cricket, after his career is over. I don't know which will happen and I  am not interested in predicting it.

I was replying to your post that Kohli has never done well when there is movement...which is untrue. I gave you the instances when he did.  There are other instances too.   In fact, England tour is the only time when Kohli failed in an outside-Asia  tour in the last 4 years and  one series failure can happen to everyone. It was also the only time he failed against the moving ball.  Too much is made out of it.  He has done exceedingly well whenever he has played outside Asia in the last 4 years, apart from that tour.

With the amount of T20s going one, every batsman is picking up bad habits from time to time, due to the constant need to open the face of the bat and run singles or reach out and play shots or the need to slog frequently. I have played all formats and it is very very difficult to adjust. In the '90s, it was  not the case. Even ODIs were played a bit differently, with running singles being a little less important and the batsmen did not have to fidget every ball.  The game of cricket has changed and casual observers are not considering it. Rahane's issues can also be partly related to this issue. You will find even veterans of 100+  tests suddenly picking up bad habits.

In a nutshell,  batsmanship will never be as pure as the '90s and earlier...after the influx of T20s.  In that scenario, the Kohlis and Rahanes have done very well indeed.  The thing to look for is ..... batsmen who are constantly working hard to improve their game and purge it of suddenly developed bad habits.  Kohli does that and even  Rahane.

Edited by express bowling
13 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

So are u saying the pitches in Adelaide Sydney or Melbourne had any seam movement or swing for the bowlers ?

They were road of wickets with the only redeeming feature being bounce and carry.

Australia wickets have been the worst for test cricket for some time .It's not making a big deal if one point out a flat wicket a flat wicket .

Those pitches made Steve Smith and Adam Voges look like Bradman

Those three pitches did not even have pace or bounce that Australian pitches are known for. They were not pacier or bouncier than the Rajkot pitch against England. Only pitch that had some bounce and pace was Gabba and even Gabba did not have much seam movement but what made our batsmen struggle on that pitch was pace and bounce that made Hazelwood and Johnson really effective.

13 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Except for the fact that Anderson is nowhere near the best swing bowler Tendulkar has faced, while he is the best Virat has faced. 

In English conditions, Darren Gough was still the best English bowler since 1990.

Oh and Sachin 'getting owned' by Anderson still yielded an average of 38 & 34. Virat got owned for an average almost ONE THIRD of that.

Shows the gulf between an ATG and a wannabe- ATG who isn't in the same ballpark yet.

Yes, Anderson is certainly the best swing bowler SRT has faced in England. He was better than Gough as a swing bowler. He is better than even Dale Steyn when it comes to swinging the ball both ways.

12 hours ago, Cricketics said:

No the pitches didn't make them Bradman, we just bowled and fielded bad and Voges had a extemely good patch on those and Smith has been fairly consistent in last 15 months.

On these similar pitches in 2011, we lost 4-0 with all our greats failing, Pitches did not get flat in just 4 years time. All Australian grounds get flat in that way. Even Gabba, Brisbane is pretty flat then which you meant where Kohli did not score on that 2015 tour as that has assistance early but can look flatter than even Adelaide. 

2011 pitches were not similar to 2015. Apart form Adelaide, all pitches had something for pacers. You do realize pitches can be different every series. Remember Vizag pitch, it was a rank turner against NZ in last ODI, but come test against England, ball barely turned for spinners.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

Why is every one so emotionally charged in this thread? Almost as if people have something at stake.

The cricketing view points and the scorecards and averages have been rattled here ad nauseum. There is another viewpoint, intangible albeit;

People used to switch their television sets offs when Sachin got out. I do not see the same happen for Kohli.

More over, Sachin meant a lot more to Mumbai than what Kohli means to Delhi. For instance in Mumbai, Sachin was a unifier. The Maharashtrians, Gujaratis, Sindhis, Muslims, North Indians all cheered for him. He was everyone's favourite. He was the under dog and easy to relate to.

I do not think Kohli has this kind of sway over his home city. Maybe cricket doesn't have that kind of sway anymore.  Kohli has never been the underdog. 

While it maybe true that there are more Tendulkar idiots fanboys in Mumbai, the fact is they are spread all across India. I would rather believe views of a Pakistani, Lankan or Bdeshi over an Indian when it comes to sachin.

As someone born and brought up in Delhi, I can say Kohli is easy to relate to ....accent, mannerisms etc. Of course an average Delhiite isn't nearly as smooth lol. But if some kohli fanboy has unreasonable views on Kohli or is shut to criticism, then that should be called out imo. One shouldn't run to defend on everything like Sachin fanboys do.

Edited by randomGuy
Those three pitches did not even have pace or bounce that Australian pitches are known for. They were not pacier or bouncier than the Rajkot pitch against England. Only pitch that had some bounce and pace was Gabba and even Gabba did not have much seam movement but what made our batsmen struggle on that pitch was pace and bounce that made Hazelwood and Johnson really effective.

Please point that out to@cricketics

17 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

That is incorrect.  Sydney and Adelaide have always been a bit slower than other Australian pitches...but they are still faster and bouncier than Rajkot.  The ball does not grip there in the first 3 days.

23 minutes ago, express bowling said:

That is incorrect.  Sydney and Adelaide have always been a bit slower than other Australian pitches...but they are still faster and bouncier than Rajkot.  The ball does not grip there in the first 3 days.

Not really. Ball did not grip even on Rajkot pitch that we had against England. Also pitches changes there by every series. In 2012, SCG pitch was grassy and we had to bat first, we crumbled, and it later became batting paradise as moisture dried out. Adelaide now is not like that as they play D/N test there, so, they are leaving grass there and last few D/N tests there have been low scoring.

Those might have had more bounce than Rajkot, even if they had, but it was true bounce and consistent, good for batting and not extra bounce which would trouble batsmen. Only Gabba had that kind of bounce in 2015. You remember Kohli, Rahane, Pujara, all had trouble against extra bounce of Johnson and Hazelwood at Gabba.

Edited by rkt.india
5 hours ago, narenpande1 said:

@laaloo

Dude seriously..Have some integrity and honesty if nothing else as a moderator here.

Now even if ANYONE ( randomguy ) has so what ????

Treat a sportsman/ entertainer as one- your lot make any questions against him as one attacking your family's dignity  or something. 

You started this thread with a specific comparison between Kohli and Tendulkar. You should have expected some people to agree and some to disagree. Just because most people have not agreed with you doesn't mean you are under attack, so get over your persecution complex and playing the victim.

When your arguments were met with counter arguments, you started calling others rabid fanboys.

In my case, in this post (http://www.indiancricketfans.com/forums/topic/98402-areas-where-kohli-is-better-than-tendulkar-as-a-player/?do=findComment&comment=3334107) you assumed that I swore by this "cult figure" thereby labelling me in your head as a Sachin fanboy. It seems that it is you who cannot stomach opinions counter to your beliefs and views, and therefore find it easier to attach labels to others so that in your head those views can be attributed to fanboyism and bhakti and therefore, can be discarded.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Not really. Ball did not grip even on Rajkot pitch that we had against England. Also pitches changes there by every series. In 2012, SCG pitch was grassy and we had to bat first, we crumbled, and it later became batting paradise as moisture dried out. Adelaide now is not like that as they play D/N test there, so, they are leaving grass there and last few D/N tests there have been low scoring.

Those might have had more bounce than Rajkot, even if they had, but it was true bounce and consistent, good for batting and not extra bounce which would trouble batsmen. Only Gabba had that kind of bounce in 2015. You remember Kohli, Rahane, Pujara, all had trouble against extra bounce of Johnson and Hazelwood at Gabba.

Over the years, most Australian pitched have had true bounce only.  But, tacking even that has not been easy by touring sides, barring SA batsmen, as they are not used to it.  It demands a different technique.  Also, the deck-hitting and often quick  Australian bowlers know how to use the pace and bounce of the pitch to trouble touring batsmen.

The difficulty of playing in Australia have rarely been inconsistent bounce or more than usual movement...barring quite a few tracks in Perth and a few surfaces here and there.  But, still, touring batsmen have not done that well consistently.

This fear of the swinging ball is something that has cropped up after the T20 leagues started and batters don't go for county stints. Otherwise, it has always been fearing pace and bounce and looking forward to swing bowlers...this had happened over decades.

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

You started this thread with a specific comparison between Kohli and Tendulkar. You should have expected some people to agree and some to disagree. Just because most people have not agreed with you doesn't mean you are under attack, so get over your persecution complex and playing the victim.

When your arguments were met with counter arguments, you started calling others rabid fanboys.

In my case, in this post (http://www.indiancricketfans.com/forums/topic/98402-areas-where-kohli-is-better-than-tendulkar-as-a-player/?do=findComment&comment=3334107) you assumed that I swore by this "cult figure" thereby labelling me in your head as a Sachin fanboy. It seems that it is you who cannot stomach opinions counter to your beliefs and views, and therefore find it easier to attach labels to others so that in your head those views can be attributed to fanboyism and bhakti and therefore, can be discarded.

@Gambit

I have not taken any names and I was certainly not alluding to you. You are one of the longest standing patrons of the board here and among the most reasonable debaters.

I do not wish to take names to further inflame anyone's feeling but things such as " pot stirrer ",

" flame thrower " , " attention seeker " , " wants to rile SRT fans " ...etc have been attributed.

As another poster mentioned, most of us may have gotten a busy with our lives and stop following cricket for a few years, I too went through such a phase and the emergence of Virat as the vanguard of our batting certainly got me a little excited following cricket again.

The thread OP was to celebrate this new phase in Indian cricket where the new batting leader had raised the bar in his generation and raised the intensity to win unseen in Indian cricket hitherto.

Some moderator/poster here on many occasions stated most ridiculously how I had " something personal " against Sachin.

I don't have anything personal but do understand him alot better than 99.9 % of our naive people.

I don't have alot of tolerance for someone  taking my millions of my countrymen for a ride, and while I am 

not accusing Sachin of this.. it rankles me to see how he emotionally entraps our folks.

Picture that pathetic tugging 100th 100, which was to only serve one man's purpose. We got our backsides kicked out of Asia Cup losing to a lowly Bangladesh.

On the field, he pointed the bat to the national flag on the helmet after his pathetic knock as if to say that this was for the country. Are the rest of the member's not playing for the country or is the only one.

This type of theatrics has endeared him to millions of people. It was ironic because that knock was only to get that personal milestone of his back and FOR HIM.

Post that Ambani throws a function where Sachin announces that this record was " for India " and he

" wanted it for India " . India had actually lost. This sort of nonsense is bought by millions of people.

Are we really this stupid ??

My brother in law happens to be a marketing director with the sports management company that he signed the last 3 year contract through retirement. I am told that while Sachin under the contract was under no legally binding compulsion to play through the end of the contract in Nov/Dec 2013 -- he 

was to have a proportionate haircut in commercial terms if he retired prior to end of the contract.

And guess what - he kept on playing to fulfill the commercials of the contract, rather than retiring gracefully after the 2011 WC. He can never come on TV and give an explanation on why he continued playing ODI cricket post the 2011 WC. 

Few people realize that he is a self serving opportunist  kind of character with a very strong PR team.

His PR team floats around messages that Sachin would never endorse alcohol , no matter how well it pays but what they don't tell you is that it is a strategic move with financial ramifications. He would automatically be disqualified from his FIAT and Boost  endorsements  should be promote alcohol. 

Yet millions of naive people talk about how " great " he is not to endorse alcohol.

This is the same guy who was a regular at Bal Thackerays house for weekend lunches together post the riots in 92. I have never like the goondaism of Bal Thackeray, but that did not deter Sachin from making sure that he is able to leverage who ever is in power.

Post Shiv Sena/ BJP decline in power, he cuddled up to Congress who for 60 plus years looted India because they were in power and in a position to bestow the Bharat Ratna to him. He did not even have the courtesy to pay a visit to Bal Thackeray when he expired. He was in the country. He had called him father like and " more than family " when Shiv Sena was in power.

I have reasons to dislike him because he is not exactly how is PR portrays him to be.

Edited by narenpande1