When You Are Arrogant, You Pay The Price

On 2/26/2017 at 2:43 AM, Zero_Unit said:

Still waiting for a Kallis to appear from the huge population we have. Would have solved that extra bowler/batsmen issue.

playing population, facilities from school up, number of international exposed cricketers playing in domestics, its not just huge 1.2 bil population vs 200 mill for Pak/BD or 60 odd for UK/SA or 20 odd for Aus/SL  not that simple. But yeah a Kallis can appear from India.

On 2/26/2017 at 11:08 PM, Lannister said:

I don't see how is that equate to arrogance. They obviously made a blunder when reading the pitch. You don't need 5 bowlers on turners. Even with 5 bowlers we didn't pick up their 20 wickets. Ummie, Ashwin, Kuldeep and jadeja should've been the bowlers with Nair as a 6th batsman. 

i would say playing five bowlers was not the greatest contributing factor to the loss, if we lost a close math i can understand. This is carnage what could have a 6 batsman done when the other 5 could only muster 90 odd.

1 hour ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

The pitch is very similar to last one.And Nair played well.

Nope it isnt.......its only to right hand batsman good length areas thats turning and bouncing. Lyon did mention in interview that there was a crack. In pune the whole pitch became a dust bowl

On 2/25/2017 at 1:41 PM, Malcolm Merlyn said:

The Indian Team was arrogant to continue playing 5 batsman in Indian spinning conditions.Something India didnt dare even when the likes of Sehwag,Dravid,Tendulkar,Laxman,GAnguly were playing,and they were brilliant players of spin.

Why do you need 5 bowlers in your home conditions?Indian has been playing very well at home for decades and they played with a  6 batsman strategy.

If Jadeja and Ashwin wont take wickets,surely Jayant Yadav wont.If you really need 3 spinners then you drop a pacer,Ishant didnt do anything anyways.This is what Indian teams in past have followed.You dont break a winning formula.

Add to  that the fact that you dropped a triple centurion,who is arguably the best player of spin bowling in India.

I had said this before and i say it now,5 bowlers dont work in India.The hype brigade may not like it,but thats how it is.

I think we saw the value of playing with 5 bowlers if we compare last test to this. Even 1 extra wicket can make the difference between a draw and a win. Also, there is no point in continuing the same strategy which caused us to be mediocre for so long of our cricket history which we never rose above

4 minutes ago, New guy said:

I think we saw the value of playing with 5 bowlers if we compare last test to this. Even 1 extra wicket can make the difference between a draw and a win. Also, there is no point in continuing the same strategy which caused us to be mediocre for so long of our cricket history which we never rose above

Different wicket than Pune.

14 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Different wicket than Pune.

Doesn't matter. 4 bowlers strategy has brought us nothing but mediocrity over decades. Again one single wicket by another bowler might have turned last match on its head. Kuldeep was an X factor

Edited by New guy
Doesn't matter. 4 bowlers strategy has brought us nothing but mediocrity over decades. Again one single wicket by another bowler might have turned last match on its head. Kuldeep was an X factor

You have to choose horses for courses.You cannot play 5 bowlers on moat wickets.5 bowlers make sense only on flattish tracks.