Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli - who is better ODI batsman?

Who is better ODI batsman?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better ODI batsman?

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

white ball is still the same.  They did not use some special ball for swing.  

what ever it is , if field restrictions in first 15 overs enabled  openers of those times to score a few more runs, 'the new ball & fresh bowlers combo'  were more effective in bringing their paltry score dismissals there by cutting short a lot of runs as well.So  things even out there.

Career averages
  Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
unfiltered 2008-2018 215 207 36 10199 183 59.64 10987 92.82 38 48 12 956 111 Profile
filtered 2008-2013 117 111 17 4804 183 51.10 5490 87.50 16 26 7 459 37

Kohli's record in early part of his career.  now compare that with SRT's in same number of games.

1 minute ago, rtmohanlal said:

what ever it is , if field restrictions in first 15 overs enabled  openers of those times to score a few more runs, 'the new ball & fresh bowlers combo'  were more effective in bringing their paltry score dismissals there by cutting short a lot of runs as well.So  things even out there.

fresh bowlers. so bowlers are not fresh now? they bowl in sleep?

25 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

You can’t but you need to break down the top 3-4 by each 2 years. Ponting was no where the best in the world from 96-2000. Guys like Anwar and Mark Waugh were. Similarly Sanga was not rated till much later in his career. Kallis was never in debate as a great odi bat.

And current day top batters have similar things happening too.  

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:
Career averages
  Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
unfiltered 2008-2018 215 207 36 10199 183 59.64 10987 92.82 38 48 12 956 111 Profile
filtered 2008-2013 117 111 17 4804 183 51.10 5490 87.50 16 26 7 459 37

Kohli's record in early part of his career.  now compare that with SRT's in same number of games.

mariyam has already showed how its irrelevant. much easier to do this playing ODIs in the post 20-20 era than in the test-heavy era of the 80s.

46 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

This is because you are comparing completed careers with careers in progress, that have different peak periods and such.

If you compare peak periods, you will see Kohli's peers have peaks of mid-low 50s for a long stretch, while his peak is in the low 60s, while with Tendulkar's generation, his 10-year peak is almost 49, while his peers peaks are 41-42 for same time-frame. 

Simple math will tell you that 42 to 49 is not much different than 50 is to 58. 

Kohli's peak is 71.  This is what Kohli is averaging in last 5 years.  For me, Rohit is like Tendulkar and Kohli is like Bradman.  Rohit and Tendulkar both started in MO. Both had very average numbers until they started opening averaging 30s.  Both turned their careers and numbers since they started opening.  Rohit as an opener is averaging 59.  This is the highest average for any opener ever in ODIs that too with 3 triple hundreds and an SR of 96, 19 100s. Kohli is averaging 71 in last five years with an SR of 98, 23 100s.

5 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Apart from Starc There is not a single standout ODI bowler in this era. When Kohli tears him apart in odi games on tough pitches we can compare him with Sachin.

kohli bashed one of the best odi bowler of his era ( malinga ) ..

i rarely seen sachin dominating any bowler like that with ease  ( he bashed warne that i agree ) 

Just now, rkt.india said:

Kohli's peak is 71.  This is what Kohli is averaging in last 5 years.  For me, Rohit is like Tendulkar and Kohli is like Bradman.  Rohit and Tendulkar both started in MO. Both had very average numbers until they started opening averaging 30s.  Both turned their careers and numbers since they started opening.  Rohit as an opener is averaging 59.  This is the highest average for any opener ever in ODIs that too with 3 triple hundreds and an SR of 96, 19 100s. Kohli is averaging 71 in last five years with an SR of 98, 23 100s.

Ok and what are the peaks of his competitors of his era ? 5 year peak is still only half of Tendy's peak. So comparison doesnt even start to make sense yet.

Rohit is far less comparable to Tendulkar due to the simple fact that openers averaging similar to him is not that rare.

17 minutes ago, velu said:

australi and south africa had world class bowling unit for decades ..

edit:-

missed pakistan ..

wasim

waqar

akhtar

saqlain

razzaq / azar mohammed

probably the best odi bowling lineup for me ..

sachin bashed this lineup in 2003 wc though .. probably the best innings by sachin for me

And Kallis is a better bowler than azhar mehmood or razzaq by a country mile. 

slso, those 5 bowlers played less than 20 matches together. As i said, your definition of 'worldclass' is apparently 'once in a lifetime'.

:laugh:

10 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Apart from Starc There is not a single standout ODI bowler in this era. When Kohli tears him apart in odi games on tough pitches we can compare him with Sachin.

Starc, Cummins, Rabada, Morkel, Johnson, Steyn, Ajmal, Hazlewood, Boult, Malinga, Bumrah could have made any team in the 90s.  and Koli's career is 10 years old.  He is not a newbie, playing form 2008.  He played Murli at his best, Mendis at his best successfully.  He played Brett Lee at his best as well.  He played Shoaib too.  He has played Kallis, Steyn, Morkel, Johnson all at their best years.

Edited by rkt.india
1 minute ago, Muloghonto said:

slso, those 5 bowlers played less than 20 matches together. As i said, your definition of 'worldclass' is apparently 'once in a lifetime'.

what about equivalent for wasim , waqar , saqlain and akhtar :lol: 

you got one steyn  :laugh:

22 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Ok and what are the peaks of his competitors of his era ? 5 year peak is still only half of Tendy's peak. So comparison doesnt even start to make sense yet.

Rohit is far less comparable to Tendulkar due to the simple fact that openers averaging similar to him is not that rare.

which opener is averaging similar to Rohit?  Rohit is averaging 59.  No other opener is even averaging close to him.  Amla is the closest but he does not have the same impact or big scores as frequently as Rohit.  Rohit has 7 150 plus scores in ODIs.  The second highest is 5 by SRT who played 462 matches and Warner while Warner's batting average is just 43 in ODIs.

Edited by rkt.india
20 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

both Razzaq and Kallis were comparable ODI bowlers.  There was not much of a difference between the two.

28 minutes ago, velu said:

kohli bashed one of the best odi bowler of his era ( malinga ) ..

i rarely seen sachin dominating any bowler like that with ease  ( he bashed warne that i agree ) 

What about Centurion knock wc 2003?

Wasn't that domination ?not on one ,but over the whole ATG attack

28 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Starc, Cummins, Rabada, Morkel, Johnson, Steyn, Ajmal, Hazlewood, Boult, Malinga, Bumrah could have made any team in the 90s.  and Koli's career is 10 years old.  He is not a newbie, playing form 2008.  He played Murli at his best, Mendis at his best successfully.  He played Brett Lee at his best as well.  He played Shoaib too.  He has played Kallis, Steyn, Morkel, Johnson all at their best years.

How frequently he played against Shoaib and Lee?

3 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

What about Centurion knock wc 2003?

Wasn't that domination ?not on one ,but over the whole ATG attack

mentioned that .. those innings are rare

its ridiculous to hype the bowling just because sachin has scored :lol:

probably as a dhoni fan , i need to write an article about how good axar patel is in ipl