Are Americans loud talkers?

MechEng

I have this African-American roommate who's majoring in psychology, and he is LOUD! Once he starts talking he can literally talk non stop for 3 hours loud. Yesterday it seems a girl he likes reciprocated the same feelings she has for him and he went hours non stop talking, it's a big apartment and his voice is everywhere! It becomes difficult to concentrate on your work in such an environment.

I'm sorry that I had to create such an irrelevant thread, but I had to vent my frustration out somewhere! Any other ICFers here who experienced the same? Is it in their cultural DNA to be loud and expressive?

African Americans are loud for sure but not white folks. I remember when I used to take ride on bus, many african americans used to talk so loudly as if they were trying to show off.  Then I realized that this is how they usually talk. Most of them are like that. It comes natural to them.

41 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

African Americans are loud for sure but not white folks. I remember when I used to take ride on bus, many african americans used to talk so loudly as if they were trying to show off.  Then I realized that this is how they usually talk. Most of them are like that. It comes natural to them.

Still my early days here so I haven't met many African-Americans yet. But my roommate, oh god.... I appreciate the American sense of expression which is why it makes great leaders but my roommate takes self expression to really unhealthy levels, or maybe I'm too quiet (which I am in real life) that makes his talkative nature look loud.

28 minutes ago, velu said:

not sure .. but indians are good in generalizations :phehe:

Dude, when you are forced to hear very personal stuff at a loud voice, it get's annoying after some time.

1 hour ago, Texy said:

Black people stereotype...they're loud...obviously there are exceptions....Indians can be equally loud with no etiquette 

Yes, agree on that, especially Indians can be equally loud. And some can be really fast too. And also Indian people who just move from India tend to move their neck and head while saying yes and no a lot. 

Yes, agree on that, especially Indians can be equally loud. And some can be really fast too. And also Indian people who just move from India tend to move their neck and head while saying yes and no a lot. 
My ex roommate who is a mallu used to talk very fast, punctuated with "eda, eda". I was more fascinated than annoyed though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Desis can be loud too...go to an Indian movie in the US and you will see the same ones who usually behave in other settings will bring babies to the movie ,start texting,giggling and talking in the middle of the movie etc.

I have seen this first hand with desis especially the new crop of College students in the US .since it has become easy for anyone and everyone to get admission in some local gully university  a lot of filth is coming in. There were this group of Indian students I saw once at Target...they would ask the retail clerk for something in English while inserting desi swear words  in the middle of the English sentence and giggle at it obnoxiously.

6 hours ago, maniac said:

Desis can be loud too...go to an Indian movie in the US and you will see the same ones who usually behave in other settings will bring babies to the movie ,start texting,giggling and talking in the middle of the movie etc.

I have seen this first hand with desis especially the new crop of College students in the US .since it has become easy for anyone and everyone to get admission in some local gully university  a lot of filth is coming in. There were this group of Indian students I saw once at Target...they would ask the retail clerk for something in English while inserting desi swear words  in the middle of the English sentence and giggle at it obnoxiously.

Well there are exceptions everywhere in the world. Not everyone in the world is loud.

But this stereotype of Americans I believe in has some truth in it. I have 3 roommates in a 4 bed apartment (1 British, 1 Jamaican, 1 African American). The Jamaican and the British roomies are more social than me but they avoid excess talks and talk only when required. But this African American guy is a chatterbox and the way he keeps repeating 'nigga' after every sentence gets on my nerves. He whines to me about racism blacks have to endure but calls the Jamaican roommate 'nigga' everytime, talk of double standards.

Edited by MechEng

1 minute ago, MechEng said:

Well there are exceptions everywhere in the world. Not everyone in the world is loud.

But this stereotype of Americans I believe in has some truth in it. I have 3 roommates in a 4 bed apartment (1 British, 1 Jamaican, 1 African American). The Jamaican and the British roomies are more social than me but they avoid excess talks and talk only when required. But this African American guy is a chatterbox and the way he keeps repeating 'nigga' after every sentence gets on my nerves. He whines to me about racism black have to endure but calls the Jamaican roommate 'nigga' everytime, talk of double standards.

The desi example was because when in a group or a familiar setting most groups are loud.

Not sucking up to the white man but from general  experience Americans(white ones) and even Chinkie are definetely better listeners than other ethnic groups....Desis are the worst(myself included)

I find some east asians to be very loud. as for americans, I remember I was going to paris from mila via train and the americans were very loud. it irritated me a great deal, but after coming to usa later, I saw that my prior experience had been anomalous.