Flashback: India Tour of South Africa 2001 Tri Series

We often complain cricket quality isnt same anymore maybe lets visit some old series whose videos are avl on youtube. Lets revisit, how indian team, quality of cricket was back then. 

Sharing few series post 2000 which is a part of my childhood when i was starting to watch more and interest 

A series 

• Where ganguly batted like a beast, some of the shots makes u go wow (his batting is the best part of the video)
  • Where pollock strangled us in final 
  • The young sehwag n yuvraj who didnt had gr8 series yet was backed and we all knw where they reached (something kohli shud learn)
  • Where kenya gave us a fainty 
  • Gary kirsten hitting us all around......well nothing in new that 
  • Bhajji looked such a good spinner 
  • From today when we have pandya n dhoni to those days when we had reetinder singh sodhi n deep dasgupta
  • Even kenya strangled our gr8 openers in one game 
6 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Ganguly was awesome in that series. He used to charge Pollock and smack him for sixes square on the off side. SA was easily the best side but India still managed to put up a great team effort to win a ODI at Centurion. Unfortunately we shat ourselves in the final which was the norm in those days.

yes that usual choke in the final ,although one has to concede that sa side was superior to our side,we were giving chances to likes of sodhi,jacob martin,das gupta :rofl: 

gary kirsten as usual made merry against our side 

6 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

yes that usual choke in the final ,although one has to concede that sa side was superior to our side,we were giving chances to likes of sodhi,jacob martin,das gupta :rofl: 

gary kirsten as usual made merry against our side 

I remember Jacob Martin being picked in the tri-series in Australia a year earlier. Ian Chappell asked SRT at the toss about the newbie (Martin), all Tendu could say was "he's a great fielder" :cantstop:. This was also the series where we sent Samir Dighe as a pinch hitter at 3 against the likes of McGrath and Fleming :((.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff
4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

I remember Jacob Martin being picked in the tri-series in Australia a year earlier. Ian Chappell asked SRT at the toss about the newbie (Martin), all Tendu could say was "he's a great fielder" :cantstop:. This was also the series where we sent Samir Dighe as a pinch hitter at 3 against the likes of McGrath and Fleming :((.

Man that was terrible series we even lost against Pakistan could get their bowlers out. Didn't even win a single match.

Maybe I am being a nostalgia wanker but the quality of cricket (especially the bowling) seems much better. I would say the same about the quality of the commentary and the production value. More importantly these ODIs seemed to matter. These days I wouldn't give a **** if we lost the ODIs in SA 6-0.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff
19 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

:rofl: ,dont forget msk prasad as opener against Mcgrath n co

bhai wo bada hi mushkil time tha as a fan jacob martin ,dighe,devang gandhi,msk prasad :facepalm:

9 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Man that was terrible series we even lost against Pakistan could get their bowlers out. Didn't even win a single match.

It was a horrible series alright. I used to love watching the Carlton and United series in the late 90s and couldn't wait for India to be invited to play Down under. What a disappointment that series turned to be. We did win one game though thanks to Ganguly's 141. Kanitkar took a memorable catch to get Inzamam in this match.

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

The quality of cricket is so high, Kohli chamchas should watch this video before any delusions about Kohli the ODI batsman set in? 

Lets assume the quality when tendulkar played was better , why would that make Tendulkar a better batsmen when every one else around him was supposedly better ?