Why no reservations in the armed forces?

surajmal

7 minutes ago, Scar said:

Because protecting the border isn't as lucrative an option as snatching away the hard work of underprivileged hard working general class in other field where you can have luxury of sitting behind the desk and order around. 

Not true , Dalits have been demanding reservation in army , but army don't bow to political demands

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Army-says-no-to-SC/ST-quotas/articleshow/1277775.cms

6 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Not true , Dalits have been demanding reservation in army , but army don't bow to political demands

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Army-says-no-to-SC/ST-quotas/articleshow/1277775.cms

lol. So army said no, and they accepted? They are still begging for reservations in private sector after all these years...

8 hours ago, surajmal said:

lol. So army said no, and they accepted? They are still begging for reservations in private sector after all these years...

Army is not something which politicians can run according to their policies.if one demand is accepted then thousands of other demands will be made

2 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Army is not something which politicians can run according to their policies.if one demand is accepted then thousands of other demands will be made

Are you living in India? A low level bureaucrat in north block can show army its aukaad. Army can't even unilaterally settle on operation tactics and you are telling me that they can decide on general political discourse?! 

Please don't divide the Army along caste/religious lines. You want point scoring over Dalits/reservation, focus on some other institution....IA mein there are no Hindus or Muslims or Brahmins or Dalits. I don't support reservation or nautanki by these Dalit groups/NGOs/activists but I want to keep Indian Army out of this discussion.  

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Please don't divide the Army along caste/religious lines. You want point scoring over Dalits/reservation, focus on some other institution....IA mein there are no Hindus or Muslims or Brahmins or Dalits. I don't support reservation or nautanki by these Dalit groups/NGOs/activists but I want to keep Indian Army out of this discussion.  

IA regiments are named after kshtriya castes... I think that also should be changed as the country matures as that gives false sense of pride/ego to countless chewtiyas who are born into these castes.... 

32 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

IA regiments are named after kshtriya castes... I think that also should be changed as the country matures as that gives false sense of pride/ego to countless chewtiyas who are born into these castes.... 

Those are the very old regiments. Not on kshtriya castes but  along regions( garhwal, kumaon , madras, assam, punjab ), some along caste ( marathas, mahars etc)....some along religion ....( sikh )

Most newer ones in the last 3-4 decades are mostly mixed and have numbers.

6 hours ago, surajmal said:

Are you living in India? A low level bureaucrat in north block can show army its aukaad. Army can't even unilaterally settle on operation tactics and you are telling me that they can decide on general political discourse?! 

Just google this topic and read further about the topic

https://theprint.in/governance/athawales-call-reservations-army-revives-old-debate/7409/

Jagjiwan Ram even wrote a letter asking army general why reservation is not implemented but still army refused .

Also same Jagjiwan Ram made a policy of recruitment from states on the basis of population.but that policy was never fully implemented and still North indian states dominate the armed forces

As far operations are concerned I don't have much knowledge about it but may be operations are still under control of politicians because at the end of the day they are answerable to public and world

But as far Recruitment and managing army , they don't bow to political demands

59 minutes ago, beetle said:

Those are the very old regiments. Not on kshtriya castes but  along regions( garhwal, kumaon , madras, assam, punjab ), some along caste ( marathas, mahars etc)....some along religion ....( sikh )

Most newer ones in the last 3-4 decades are mostly mixed and have numbers.

That's what I'm referring to... Later on, when india becomes a mature country, to change these names... Along with Jaat, Rajput, Sikh regiments etc.... Change it to 'rashtriya rifles' etc. 

Edited by randomGuy

7 hours ago, randomGuy said:

That's what I'm referring to... Later on, when india becomes a mature country, to change these names... Along with Jaat, Rajput, Sikh regiments etc.... Change it to 'rashtriya rifles' etc. 

Those old regiments have a history of valour. Why change them?

It is like denying them their glory.

Just because they had a name that is not socially mixed , does not mean they were bad .The officers in those regiments are mostly mixed.

The world was not so global then .India was no cosmopolitan then.

My dad and father inlaw both served most of their lives in regiments with names  from south and west ,that had nothing to do with their ethinicity. They both are very proud of their regiment and its heritage.

The newer units are mixed in tune with the times. There is no harm in retaining old names because marathas , or punjab or bengal were not invaders that we need to change the names.These regiments have been serving the nation well and a part of our history and present.

As long as newer ones are mixed....there is no need for renaming because renaming old glorious regiments would be like changing something bad. Those units have not been decommissioned. 

57 minutes ago, beetle said:

Those old regiments have a history of valour. Why change them?

It is like denying them their glory.

Just because they had a name that is not socially mixed , does not mean they were bad .The officers in those regiments are mostly mixed.

The world was not so global then .India was no cosmopolitan then.

My dad and father inlaw both served most of their lives in regiments with names  from south and west ,that had nothing to do with their ethinicity. They both are very proud of their regiment and its heritage.

The newer units are mixed in tune with the times. There is no harm in retaining old names because marathas , or punjab or bengal were not invaders that we need to change the names.These regiments have been serving the nation well and a part of our history and present.

As long as newer ones are mixed....there is no need for renaming because renaming old glorious regiments would be like changing something bad. Those units have not been decommissioned. 

Change 'Maratha' to maybe 'Maharashtra' regiment, that would be OK (but rashtriya rifles or similar names would be the best) . Jaat to 'haryana' regiment.....i am saying remove caste names from regiments, a natural step in fight against casteism .... But people aren't mature enough.... The moment you remove it..let's say remove the word Jaat from regiment's name.... These deshbhakts would burn the country, blockade delhi, haryana, kill other caste people, more than they did for Jaat reservation issue ...these people have a lot of false pride, big ego etc..would take everything from other castes... Groupism /casteism is very bad... Comes very naturally to them. 

Edited by randomGuy

Rather dont have a restriction that only Marathas can work on Maratha regiment. Mix them and it will be all fine. Earliest we were regid that Tamil cant work with Marathi and some cant work with Biharis etc. Now that is going away slowly.