Highest average speed in test cricket since 2010

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

but Hazlewood was not faster than Shami. He has occassional 140+ but averaged around 134.

Yes, he is as quick or faster than Shami on average. Shami varies a lot on pace due to his poor fitness and stamina. Hazlewood bowled quick in India on last tour that I remember, consistently 140 plus and quickest 146.

27 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Wahab is ahead on that list because his top speed is faster. He has hit 150+ a few times, and hence above Umesh. but Hazelwood above Shami is surprising. 

because Shami bowls a lot of low intensity low pace spells he did like in SA where he barely crossed 135K.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

because Shami bowls a lot of low intensity low pace spells he did like in SA where he barely crossed 135K.

From 2016, Shami has been very consistent in terms of high bowling speeds. He has bowled some slower spells only in South Africa.( because of brewing tensions with his wife ).

Barring that, he has rarely dropped under the 135 k to 145 k range in the last 2 years, even when he was playing with minor injuries. ( Check my post in the Speed in Performance thread where I had listed  the High and Average speeds of Indian quicks starting mid-2015 in all the test innings they have played ... with links ) ( I will let you know the page number )

His average speed of 137.1 k is still very good in test matches ... and would have been higher but for the year 2014, when he was a rookie test pacer and had not developed the stamina to bowl quick in all spells in tests at that stage in his career.

Edited by express bowling
10 hours ago, express bowling said:

From 2016, Shami has been very consistent in terms of high bowling speeds. He has bowled some slower spells only in South Africa.( because of brewing tensions with his wife ).

Barring that, he has rarely dropped under the 135 k to 145 k range in the last 2 years, even when he was playing with minor injuries. ( Check my post in the Speed in Performance thread where I had listed  the High and Average speeds of Indian quicks starting mid-2015 in all the test innings they have played ... with links ) ( I will let you know the page number )

His average speed of 137.1 k is still very good in test matches ... and would have been higher but for the year 2014, when he was a rookie test pacer and had not developed the stamina to bowl quick in all spells in tests at that stage in his career.

That post was about comparison with hazlewood. Why hazlewood is shown quicker as people have a perception that hazlewood is a trundler.

Edited by rkt.india
9 hours ago, express bowling said:

Had Aaron played more matches, he would be there perhaps in the top 5. It will be interesting to see how the speeds compare in the next 2-3 yrs. I reckon with fresh blood like Nagarkotti, Mavi, Avesh etc, it will be a real competition to Aussies and SA.

11 hours ago, rkt.india said:

That post was about comparison with hazlewood. Why hazlewood is shown quicker as people have a perception that hazlewood is a trundler.

Hazelwood is a pacer who operates at different speeds in different innings.

In some innings he bowls 130 k to 140 k range and in others he bowls 135 k to 145 k.  (  I am not talking about spells but entire test innings )

22 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Wahab is ahead on that list because his top speed is faster. He has hit 150+ a few times, and hence above Umesh. but Hazelwood above Shami is surprising. 

yeah Wahab yes he could be quicker than Shami and Yadav by a weebit..but its spray gun Wahab so who cares. But hazelwood quicker than Shami is a bit outthere..may be there is a bit more in play here..did they consider slower balls..or is it true straight forward match average speeds..etc. Speed gun source. 

Shami looked faster than Hazelwood in average and peak pace consistently..infact a bit faster than Umesh on occasions.