Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Outsider

Please drop Pandya to maintain Test cricket’s sanctity.

Pandya is the next......  

58 members have voted

  1. 1. Pandya is the next.........



Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Straight Drive said:

I also agree and in fact mentioned in my previous post that preferred tactic would be to have atleast one all-rounder. But then his batting average and bowling average and bowling SR should be evaluated, whoever he is. It should not be a non measurable performance criteria. 

 

Like there is no use of wicketkeeper batsman if he is going to drop 3 catches per innings and then score 30 runs on average. Similarly no use of all rounder who scores runs in test matches with a bad contribution in bowling. Otherwise there is no difference between specialist and AR.

Drop catches is minus....pandya is no minus with the ball....

when we were not getting wkts in SA in 2nd test i think he came n got us break through of top order......

 

Hold ur judgement my frend ....dnt pass it so soon. PPL have been callling him a cannon fodder for Odi n he comes with impressive perfomance with ball time n again

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Coz u need some bowling

Do we hve a batsman capable of giving us 10-15 overs even if he doesnt take wkts....lets say like ganguly

 

Let me knw when u find one

In last 5 test he has been better then ur top batters of the country 

U hear n quote what ever u want to 

 

He is suppourt bowler , thats how team is looking at

who asked to decide for kohli how he wants to use him

So lets agree to disagree

 

Jadeja is one the shiitiest batsman in these conditon............dnt even think about making his case

Well pandya did better with bat then ashwin in SA n Eng till now 

Bhuvi - he is more of a bowler who can bat even he is no all rounder

by how much? Ashwin was one of our best bowlers in this test. He was infact promoted above both Pandya and Karthik when the conditions were really tough. That tells you how much faith is there in his batting.

 

Ok Bhuvi is a bowler who can bat. What is Pandya a batsmen who can bowl? again going in circles here.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Global.Baba said:

Simple, list me the next 20-30 specialist batsmen/bowlers who are ready to break in the squad. Pretty sure atleast some of the batsmen can roll their arm over or some bowlers who can contribute some uselful runs.

 

Not that difficult is it?

 

Vihari- cnt give u more then 5 overs

Shaw n gill- no one has a idea about their bowling

Nair- at best can give u 5-7 overs.....thats it 

 

rest i dnt rate anyone highly to be considered for test cricket in terms of batting 

 

Bowling 5 overs is diff to bowling 10-15 regularly 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Simple, list me the next 20-30 specialist batsmen/bowlers who are ready to break in the squad. Pretty sure atleast some of the batsmen can roll their arm over or some bowlers who can contribute some uselful runs.

 

Not that difficult is it?

 

Vihari comes first to mind...

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Global.Baba said:

by how much? Ashwin was one of our best bowlers in this test. He was infact promoted above both Pandya and Karthik when the conditions were really tough. That tells you how much faith is there in his batting.

Yet pandya batted better then him n infact even karthik

Condition was always tough 

1 minute ago, Global.Baba said:

 

Ok Bhuvi is a bowler who can bat. What is Pandya a batsmen who can bowl? again going in circles here.

Yes more of a batting all rounder as of now 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Vihari- cnt give u more then 5 overs

Shaw n gill- no one has a idea about their bowling

Nair- at best can give u 5-7 overs.....thats it 

 

rest i dnt rate anyone highly to be considered for test cricket in terms of batting 

 

Bowling 5 overs is diff to bowling 10-15 regularly 

Ok 5-7 overs. Are they better batsmen than Pandya though? Didn't you say Pandya is a support bowler who is there to give the specialist bowlers a break. so for those 5-6 extra utility overs,you want to weaken the batting with a hack?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Global.Baba said:

Ok 5-7 overs. Are they better batsmen than Pandya though? Didn't you say Pandya is a support bowler who is there to give the specialist bowlers a break. so for those 5-6 extra utility overs,you want to weaken the batting with a hack?

dnt knw

I thought vijay, rahul, dhawan were better batsman then him ...hasnt looked like in last 5 test 

 

no 5-6 overs are almost no break u need around 10-15 

 

yes u can have 2-3 like them then it can work like we had sehwag, sachin, ganguly so toghter they cud end up with 10-15

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Yet pandya batted better then him n infact even karthik

Condition was always tough 

Yes more of a batting all rounder as of now 

You said allrounder. Let us see how the allrounders performed this game.

 

Stokes failed with the bat- Was lethal with the ball

Curran- Had a fantastic allround game.

Ashiwn- One of the best bowlers in this game,failed with the bat.

 

Now with the same benchmark,you are calling Pandya a stellar success?

Share this post


Link to post

You could have waited for the 2 test to get over befor making this "over the top " thread and we would have results and performance of each player.

You are acting like he alone flopped whereas he was actually there to give us some hope till the end. We can wait for 1 more test.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

dnt knw

I thought vijay, rahul, dhawan were better batsman then him ...hasnt looked like in last 5 test 

 

no 5-6 overs are almost no break u need around 10-15 

 

yes u can have 2-3 like them then it can work like we had sehwag, sachin, ganguly so toghter they cud end up with 10-15

Once again Vijay, Dhawan and Rahul are in the side because the selectors/management think they are the best batsmen in the country. You make it seem like Pandya absolutely smashed the opposition or played a brilliant innings. It is like saying a batsman who was out for 1 is more successful than the guy who was out for 0.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Vihari- cnt give u more then 5 overs

Shaw n gill- no one has a idea about their bowling

Nair- at best can give u 5-7 overs.....thats it 

 

rest i dnt rate anyone highly to be considered for test cricket in terms of batting 

 

Bowling 5 overs is diff to bowling 10-15 regularly 

In subcontinent, spinners can bowl unlimited overs, 5th bowler especially pacer is not required, that's 65 percent of matches covered. Of the rest 35 percent which is primarily SENA countries, most times we get dished out seamer friendly conditions, again where 250 to 300 is good score and you don't need 5th bowler. The only country where I can think of any use of 5th bowler is Australia bcos of their flat pitches. So just for those 15 percent of matches or once every 4 years tour of Aus we require Pandya.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Global.Baba said:

You said allrounder. Let us see how the allrounders performed this game.

 

Stokes failed with the bat- Was lethal with the ball

Curran- Had a fantastic allround game.

Ashiwn- One of the best bowlers in this game,failed with the bat.

 

Now with the same benchmark,you are calling Pandya a stellar success?

now ur going round n round we have gone over this 

ashwin plays as bowler not all rounder

So does curran

N look how much cricket has stokes played n pandya played.  Stokes is playing at home so he knws these condition better

what happ to stokes when he came to india, he avg 45 with the ball ......

 

Now here is ppl who are dying to compare stokes n Pandya

 

 

After 8 test

 

Batting

 

Pandya - 35 avg

Stokes - 28

 

Bowling

Pandya- 46

Stokes - 39

 

Pandya ahead in batting, stokes ahead in bowling still not much of a diff 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

The argument that that Pandya is scoring a few runs more than specialist batsmen is built on a wrong premise. If Ishant Sahrma ends up scoring more runs than Rahane in this series but fails as a bowler doesn't mean that he should replace Rahane as a batsman or Ishant's place should not be questioned.

 

 

 

But Pandya is not specialist bowler like Ishant.

 

Pandya is a batsman who can bowl somewhat.

 

If he can't bat effectively and have an average of 38+ or 40+ after 25 tests ... he should be dropped even if he bowls decently.

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post

You should’ve waited for one more test or few more chances, argument. My thread isn’t based upon whether Pandya succeeds in the next Test. It’s about his long term trajectory and future, which is nothing. Without a front foot defense and any movement at the age of 25, he would have to become a real outlier to become successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Once again Vijay, Dhawan and Rahul are in the side because the selectors/management think they are the best batsmen in the country. You make it seem like Pandya absolutely smashed the opposition or played a brilliant innings. It is like saying a batsman who was out for 1 is more successful than the guy who was out for 0.

did better then them......

ur making it sound as if it was a patta n so easy to score. Even the home team struggled

so learn to respect conditions as well 

 

Yup like in SA he reached 93 n others cudnt were struggling to reach 50 ( mind all of them were on their 2-3 Sa tour apart from rahul)

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Drop catches is minus....pandya is no minus with the ball....

when we were not getting wkts in SA in 2nd test i think he came n got us break through of top order......

 

Hold ur judgement my frend ....dnt pass it so soon. PPL have been callling him a cannon fodder for Odi n he comes with impressive perfomance with ball time n again

I will repeat. In tests his batting average of 35 is good and that is not a problem area. The bowling SR of 88 runs and bowling average of 45 runs is a problem. I am not at all talking about ODI here.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

now ur going round n round we have gone over this 

ashwin plays as bowler not all rounder

So does curran

N look how much cricket has stokes played n pandya played.  Stokes is playing at home so he knws these condition better

what happ to stokes when he came to india, he avg 45 with the ball ......

 

Now here is ppl who are dying to compare stokes n Pandya

 

 

After 8 test

 

Batting

 

Pandya - 35 avg

Stokes - 28

 

Bowling

Pandya- 46

Stokes - 39

 

Pandya ahead in batting, stokes ahead in bowling still not much of a diff 

That is the point Kallis played as a batsman and Kapil Dev as a bowler. They were still allrounders. Same goes for Ashwin though obviously not in the same bracket as the above names. 

 

Infact England faced this problem in Ashes with Moeen Ali who is infact  a much better batsman/bowler than Pandya. He ruined their balance because he was not good enough against short pitch stuff and Lyon was outbowling him. England would have done better with an out and out specialist.

 

Sometimes playing an allrounder just for the sake of it won't help.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Straight Drive said:

I will repeat. In tests his batting average of 35 is good and that is not a problem area. The bowling SR of 88 runs and bowling average of 45 runs is a problem. I am not at all talking about ODI here.

will improve with time,

Qaide se to jo ishant ki bowling avg uska bhi test khelna banta nhin

Dhawan aur rohit ka test cricket nhin fir bhi 25+ khel hi gaye.........lets atleast give him that time

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Global.Baba said:

 

Sometimes playing an allrounder just for the sake of it won't help.

Only if our problem was him

At this point our specialist not doing the job is the bigger problem , not saying pandya is undroppable or has been gr8 but he is least of our worry 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

will improve with time,

Qaide se to jo ishant ki bowling avg uska bhi test khelna banta nhin

Dhawan aur rohit ka test cricket nhin fir bhi 25+ khel hi gaye.........lets atleast give him that time

I never said Shikhar is worthy of place or Rohit is worthy of place in test squad. But just because others are not performing we cannot ignore Hardiks failure as a bowler. He is not the only problem, but one of the problem. Not the worst of the problem but still a problem.

Share this post


Link to post

Pandya is what he is. Nobody is claiming that he's the next Kapil.   

 

But haters would do well to take note that the home team is playing Jos Buttler and his unimpressive test record, without having him keep, at #7. And they also chose to go with Curran ahead of Porter as third seamer, not in any small part due to his batting abilities.  It should be obvious that when it comes to test cricket  in England, in these conditions, with the Duke ball, there is a non trivial difference in batting after the 35th over, and it's important to have some batting lower down the order. It is simply foolish not to adjust to that ground reality and keep harping on the importance of specialists over bits  and pieces. 

 

The bottom line is simple. If the conditions mean that a Pandya offers more value as a package over a Jadeja/Kuldeep , he plays.  

 

Its no use whining about his limited bowling effectiveness, or vomiting out your personal dislike of his batting stylings. It's as relevant as a in depth discussion of his next fugly haircut. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

In subcontinent, spinners can bowl unlimited overs, 5th bowler especially pacer is not required, that's 65 percent of matches covered. Of the rest 35 percent which is primarily SENA countries, most times we get dished out seamer friendly conditions, again where 250 to 300 is good score and you don't need 5th bowler. The only country where I can think of any use of 5th bowler is Australia bcos of their flat pitches. So just for those 15 percent of matches or once every 4 years tour of Aus we require Pandya.

ill not play him in subcontinet most days, may be in few test here n there ( may be against lanka where it seams around to )

Will go with ashwin, jadeja, kuldeep . JAdeja batting is good enough in subcontinent .......

 

We have just gotten such pitches this time

Last time pitches were diff in SA n NZ and our bowlers went for 400-600 runs thats were zak broke down, shami n ishant wen down.

 

U cnt go in every test thinking ull bundle opposition under 300 everytime. Also with shami in 11 always keep a backup ..........dnt wanna see kohli roll his arm over

Even overseas pitches turn flat during 2-3 day

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, The Outsider said:

You should’ve waited for one more test or few more chances, argument. My thread isn’t based upon whether Pandya succeeds in the next Test. It’s about his long term trajectory and future, which is nothing. Without a front foot defense and any movement at the age of 25, he would have to become a real outlier to become successful. 

 

Pandya's front door defennce is not bad.

 

He usually uses a small back and across trigger movement while facing faster pacers ... goes to the line of the ball ... leans forward and plays the ball under his eyes.

 

His only issue is ... he does not use soft hands while defending. A significant percentage of 2010 specialist batters have this issue too, including many Indians.  Bad habit of playing too many T20s.

 

Another thing I liked about his approach was that ... he was standing outside the crease in the 2nd innings to negate the swing. Shows that he is thinking about the condition and willing to adapt.  Our top 5 batters, barring Kohli, did not do this.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

 

Pandya's front door defennce is not bad.

 

He usually uses a small back and across trigger movement while facing faster pacers ... goes to the line of the ball ... leans forward and plays the ball under his eyes.

 

His only issue is ... he does not use soft hands while defending. A significant percentage of 2010 specialist batters have this issue too, including many Indians.  Bad habit of playing too many T20s.

 

Another thing I liked about his approach was that ... he was standing outside the crease in the 2nd innings to negate the swing. Shows that he is thinking about the condition and willing to adapt.  Our top 5 batters, barring Kohli, did not do this.

There are a few who are unable to stay objective or think past their fixation on what they have decided the minimum statistical criteria of an all rounder in test cricket should be. What they fail to grasp is that a team is more than a statistical sum of its parts. 

 

And the less said about pompous blowhards taking about batting technique, the better. Left to such self proclaimed geniuses, Veeru would never have  opened in test cricket. 

Share this post


Link to post

We need a proper batsman who can bat with the WK+tail, after Rahane. Since, it is proven the allrounder Pandya is useless with the ball, his batting is not to the level of a specialist batsman who will bat above Kartik/Pant and score a big one. Pandya coming in after DK and scoring 20s and 30s is as useless as his bowling.

Share this post


Link to post

Test cricket's sanctity....... LMAO. OP has a habit of making grandiose and downright outlandish statements when it comes to protecting an outdated format that only he and the rest of the geezers in the nursing home happen to watch so vividly. Pandya is a product of his times and there will be more people watching this snoozefest called Test cricket only if more "LOI lappebaaz" like him continue to keep this dead bird alive. Also, if the OP is so aghast at Pandya's mere presence in the squad, he should care to mention any replacements that can take his place. Otherwise, take your sanctimonious advice and flush it down into the Thames where Test cricket has been residing since the advent of cricket formats that people actually come to watch and have fun while watching. 

Edited by FischerTal

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I would much rather see Pandya play in a test in England at #6 ahead of a Karun Nair.   That's the comparison some of these guys should be making. Not a bowler. 

 

Initially, I was in favour of Ashwin + 4 specialist bowlers. You had something similar in mind too.

 

But that equation had Bhuvi as one of those 4 bowlers ... who is a bowling all-rounder, especially in England.  

 

Now that Bhuvi is not there ... and our other 5 batters want to bat like novices ... having decent batting till 8 has become imperative.   Hardik's 22 and 31 were very crucial in this low scoring match.  He saved us after a massive middle-order batting collapse against Afghanistan too.

 

Some people are too tied up in aesthetics and nomenclatures. 

 

Cricket is a team game and players have to be chosen based on the requirements and balance of the team as a whole. That flexibility has to be there.

 

Pandya has shown time and again that he is a gritty batsman ... and we need grit rather than lazy elegance on tough away tours.

 

If he is not showing grit as a batsman, drop him by all means ... but not because of his bowling.

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I would much rather see Pandya play in a test in England at #6 ahead of a Karun Nair.   That's the comparison some of these guys should be making. Not a bowler. 

Karun Nair has a test 300. He has toiled hard in domestics and topped the charts and has cashed in pretty much every chance to get here.

 

How is it fair that Pandya gets a test slot handed to him ahead of someone who has worked hard to get here and in fact has more of a pedigree in tests apples to apples at this stage which is a test triple.

 

I am not a Nair fan or an advocate for him but it seems unfair to me.

 

Now this is also keeping in mind that we have already ruled out Pandya's bowling ability in test matches.

Share this post


Link to post

Karun Nair might not be an international level batsman. I haven't watched enough of him to make a call, but to argue that Pandya is a better test batsman than Karun Nair is just insane. I don't hold the Indian FC structure in very high esteem, but it is still capable of discriminating a lappebaaz who averages 30 from a top order batsman who averages 50. 

 

And anyhow, if this is a discussion about batsmen, then the choice is between Pujara and Pandya. Now I am waiting to hear Pandya is a better batsman than Pujara.

Share this post


Link to post

People who want Pandya out of tests will have to find us a Sourav Ganguly type top 6 batter who can bowl seam up when needed.

 

This is a very practical suggestion.

 

Vijay Shankar is the only available option I am aware of.  But his abilty to bat against genuine pace or consistent swing is not known to us.

Share this post


Link to post

Pandya is the least of our worries now. He isn't the next Kapil but if backed properly can become something similar to Shane Watson (workable, not ATG), he provides great flexibility to our team and is a reliable catcher...plus moments of magic every now and then on the field can disrupt opponent's momentum. This is the problem with most Indian fans (I too am guilty sometimes), they have exaggerated imaginations about what a new player should be like (almost always some old timer ATG as standard like Che-Dravid, Rahane-Laxman, Pathan-Akram, Pant-Gilchrist, Ashwin-Kumble, Shaw-Sehwag....) after a couple of matches and when things don't materialize they want new toys. Kapil is a once in a generation AR, can't wait for long hoping we get a readymade Kapil one day, we need to work with our resources and mould them into the best versions of themselves to suit the team's need. Ofc sometimes these predictions do materialize but success ratio is bakwaas. 

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, express bowling said:

 

Initially, I was in favour of Ashwin + 4 specialist bowlers. You had something similar in mind too.

 

But that equation had Bhuvi as one of those 4 bowlers ... who is a bowling all-rounder, especially in England.  

 

Now that Bhuvi is not there ... and our other 5 batters want to bat like novices ... having decent batting till 8 has become imperative.   Hardik's 22 and 31 were very crucial in this low scoring match.  He saved us after a massive middle-order batting collapse against Afghanistan too.

 

Some people are too tied up in aesthetics and nomenclatures. 

 

Cricket is a team game and players have to be chosen based on the requirements and balance of the team as a whole. That flexibility has to be there.

 

Pandya has shown time and again that he is a gritty batsman ... and we need grit rather than lazy elegance on tough away tours.

 

If he is not showing grit as a batsman, drop him by all means ... but not because of his bowling.

Exactly.  If we have Karthik, Ashwin and Bhuvi at 6, 7, 8, then Pandya is 12th man.  Heck even after knowing that Bhuvi is injured, I picked Jadeja ahead of him for T1.  And would strongly consider the same thing for T2.  Because ultimately its the bowlers who will need to take the 20 wickets to win test matches.  

 

However, you can't overlook the fact that after Pandya was picked, he has performed at par to his role.  With a bit of luck, he could well have made a match-winning contribution with the bat in either innings.  He got a proper snorter of a yorker to get out in the first dig, and was last man out in the chase.  

 

Ahead of the 2nd test, if the Pommies make another grass covered track, which will almost eliminate the amount of grip that Jadeja will get on the surface, then we effectively have to choose between Karun Nair who only bats, Kuldeep the wild card, and 2 "Ronnie Iranis".  Given that, there is a strong case for Pandya ahead of Jadeja - provided  the team is reasonably confident that the track and conditions are going to render both of their bowling more of less equal.  I'm someone who actually still has a bit of faith in Jadeja's batting in tests. So its not a slam-dunk, by any means.   

 

In a perfect world, given that Karthik is supposed to be an upgrade on the batting front over Saha, I'd much rather see Kuldeep in the XI - we need to ensure that we can attack with the bowling and take 20 wickets for not many.  And I still think that sticking to that Plan A is the best probable selection choice.  But having said all of that, to pile on Pandya, and make his selection the focal point of criticism, is simply inaccurate, and a case of succumbing to personal confirmation bias. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

India is obessed with Hardik Pandya. It's justified to play him in LOI because he strikes the ball hard and comes handy in LOI.

But on what basis he was consistently invested in Tests when he has FC bowling average of 38?

 

When we look into the Tests 11 line up the second player who is sure to play apart from Kohli is Pandya, doesn't matter even if it is subcontinent. Every other test players Ashwin, Rahane, Pujara, Vijay, Bhuvi, Jadeja are droppable. 

Why do we drop Jadeja, No. 3 ranked bowler? Because of conditions. :hmmmm:

Why don't we play Bhuvi everywhere? Because of Conditions.  :hmmmm:

Why are we playing Pandya even in Subcontinent, when Jayant Yadav seems a better AR in Subcontinent? Because we are investing in Pandya.:congrats:

 

The question is why India should invest on Pandya for Tests? Even if they would what is the logic of providing a consistent run of 15 Test matches to him?

We have Rahul Dravid coaching the India A. What is his job, if players are supposed to get 15-20 Test matches to develop themselves by wasting a slot for No.1 team in the world? 

Ben Stokes and Hardik Pandya are not even comparable as AR, as the former made a ton in his second test match against a rampaging Johnson and took a 6- fer in his 4th test match in the high profile Ashes, showing his All-round skills. 

What has Pandya shown in his bowling? He even averages 38 in FC, where trundlers average below 30.

Hardik Pandya is lucky to be playing Tests because India fancies a pace bowling all rounder in team like Kapil.

 

In my opinion, let him play for 4 day matches for India A consistently under Dravid. Even then he can gain the international experience as he is consistently playing LOI. Also he can be selected as a reserve in Tests.

It's always better to play 5 bowlers with a few of them who can bat. I think we were absolutely ruthless like that, till that England home series.

 

P.s. Presently he should be playing because we don't have Bhuvi who is our second best batsman. Can play as his replacement. :biggrin:

 

Edited by swastikpanda2

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Karun Nair has a test 300. He has toiled hard in domestics and topped the charts and has cashed in pretty much every chance to get here.

 

How is it fair that Pandya gets a test slot handed to him ahead of someone who has worked hard to get here and in fact has more of a pedigree in tests apples to apples at this stage which is a test triple.

 

I am not a Nair fan or an advocate for him but it seems unfair to me.

 

Now this is also keeping in mind that we have already ruled out Pandya's bowling ability in test matches.

Nobody's "handed" anything.  Pandya is in the squad because his skillset offers the potential of fulfilling a role that the team desperately needs.  Its not his fault that he's not quite elite-class as far as pace bowling allrounders are concerned - fact is, he's the best option available out of 1.3 billion Indians.  

 

Its not a question of 'fair' or 'unfair'.  And btw, when you are advocating for Nair, please do keep in mind that he did get more than one chance to solidify his claim as the next test batsman in line - and blew it repeatedly.  

 

And no - we have not "ruled out" Pandya's bowling ability in test matches.  For the millionth time - Pandya actually bowled OK in the Edgbaston test, particularly in his first spell.  And you can't just put a value on his contributions to the bowling unit, solely on his bowling numbers.  The fact that he bowled 10 overs, meant that our primary attack got to rest more, and could bowl when that much fresher.  And that contribution will  go up even more in value, if and when England get away to a big innings, and we end up having to bowl 100+ overs - as is often the case when in away test matches.  Think back to the previous tour to England - Bhuvi was practically bowled into the ground, and eventually pulled up injured after that tour.  Forget about protecting bowlers and their workloads, its about extracting maximum effectiveness from them during the test.  That is a non-trivial contribution that doesn't show up in pure stats.  

 

And I'm not claiming Pandya is the only option in terms of managing bowler workloads - Jadeja can do that job quite well too, in fact better -because he bowls a ton of overs quickly.  But the key determinant for Jadeja vs Pandya should be whether the Poms have nullified the chances of Jadeja getting the ball to grip.  If the ball doesn't grip, then Jadeja will not get much deviation, and the England bats can simply face him as if he were an accurate medium-pacer.  At that point, especially if the swing/seam is as pronounced as Edgbaston, there is a logical case to punt on Pandya.   

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, The Outsider said:

Home team has set benchmarks of playing Ronnie Irani in test matches. Must feel so proud to emulate them.

 

Front foot defense while balancing on the heal isn’t considered bad these days. Awesome stuff.

If you've got anything substantial to contribute to the debate apart from snide remarks, I'm all ears, figuratively speaking.  Yet to see any logical counterpoints to the ones I have made on this thread.  

 

But I'm well aware that not all have the capacity to carry a debate forward with an open mind.  Far easier to resort to the slippery slope of tangential condescension after all, when the going gets tough.  

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, swastikpanda2 said:

Why are we playing Pandya even in Subcontinent, when Jayant Yadav seems a better AR in Subcontinent?

Absolutely false.  JY's limitations have been exposed after his century against England - on both sides of the ball.  And given that Ashwin is in the side, playing a second off-spinner, and a limited 'support' one at that, makes zero sense.  

 

Nobody's arguing against the fact that Pandya is not quite the finished product as far as test allrounder is concerned. He's way short.  But he's the best of that type available for Team India selection.  And given the test squad in question, his selection has reasonable merit - merit that should be acknowledged even if you disagree with his selection.  

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×