Asian Games 2018

Gollum

We are the best unit in athletics in the continent (not counting Asian Russia obviously), I refuse to accept those Gulf walleh Africans as Asians. It isn't like they were groomed/trained in the Gulf countries like France does with African footballers right from a tender age. Had a quick read about some of the athletes that denied us golds, all profiles suggest they were groomed in Africa and poached by Bahrain/Qatar just 3-4 years ago, after they got their initial breakthroughs in international stage representing African countries.

This is unacceptable, you can't just buy medals in this fashion. I understand the African federations are corrupt and these poor athletes get great financial offers from the sheikhs......but this isn't fair. They shouldn't be allowed in Asian Games, they can very well represent their new countries in Diamond League, World Championship, Olympics etc because those are global events. Asian Games is for Asians, if those Africans moved to Gulf states at a young age, no problem but all they are doing right now is picking up the finished products from the African system. I would prefer a cut-off age w.r.t federation transfer for participation in such regional competitions but who am I kidding, petrodollars can't be beaten. 

Edited by Gollum

We are the best unit in athletics in the continent (not counting Asian Russia obviously), I refuse to accept those Gulf walleh Africans as Asians. It isn't like they were groomed/trained in the Gulf countries like France does with African footballers right from a tender age. Had a quick read about some of the athletes that denied us golds, all profiles suggest they were groomed in Africa and poached by Bahrain/Qatar just 3-4 years ago, after they got their initial breakthroughs in international stage representing African countries.

This is unacceptable, you can't just buy medals in this fashion. I understand the African federations are corrupt and these poor athletes get great financial offers from the sheikhs......but this isn't fair. They shouldn't be allowed in Asian Games, they can very well represent their new countries in Diamond League, World Championship, Olympics etc because those are global events. Asian Games is for Asians, if those Africans moved to Gulf states at a young age, no problem but all they are doing right now is picking up the finished products from the African system. I would prefer a cut-off age w.r.t federation transfer for participation in such regional competitions but who am I kidding, petrodollars can't be beaten. 

Are you saying we performed better than Chinese in Athletics?

Just checked medals tally for athletics. Behrain is on top followed by China and Qatar. India is 4th. So safe to say we are the second best.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Shunya said:

Completely agree. Just saw Vikas Krishnan boxing match vs Tanveer Ahmed (Pak). That guy looked African from all angles, though it did not make any difference as he had raw power but no brains. And Vikas did end up kicking his ass using smart defense moves.

Pakistan has an African community based in Karachi I believe.

Qasim Umar (victim of that legendary Kapil Dev yorker in B&H 1985) was a Kenyan who represented Pakistan in the 80s. He fell out with Imran Khan and also suffered because of inherent racism in Pak cricket administration, deserved a longer rope. 

Very stylish batsman but also very controversial. He was also among the first to expose match-fixing racket in international cricket.

qasim.jpg.81e93be1499b72362fab186d0a26d5c6.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Pakistan has an African community based in Karachi I believe.

Qasim Umar (victim of that legendary Kapil Dev yorker in B&H 1985) was a Kenyan who represented Pakistan in the 80s. He fell out with Imran Khan and also suffered because of inherent racism in Pak cricket administration, deserved a longer rope. 

Very stylish batsman but also very controversial. He was also among the first to expose match-fixing racket in international cricket.

qasim.jpg.81e93be1499b72362fab186d0a26d5c6.jpg

Siddis? They are found in India as well in Gujarat, Maharashtra and Karnataka.

Most of them are descendents of Abyssinian slaves brought to India during Sultanate period.

28 minutes ago, nikred said:

Are you saying we performed better than Chinese in Athletics?

Just checked medals tally for athletics. Behrain is on top followed by China and Qatar. India is 4th. So safe to say we are the second best. emoji846.png

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Ok maybe a close 2nd. That medal tally would have read very differently if not for those pesky Africans. 

P.S Looking at the results it is clear that Qatar and Bahrain have affected India more than China. They haven't denied China golds...the events China won those 2 countries weren't even in the picture. The events where we finished 2nd-3rd it was mostly them blocking us. 

Edited by Gollum

1 minute ago, Stradlater said:

Siddis? They are found in India as well in Gujarat, Maharashtra and Karnataka.

Most of them are descendents of Abyssinian slaves brought to India during Sultanate period.

I am not aware of Siddis. Qasim was born in Kenya and moved to Pakistan later on, so a more pure blood African. 

We have so many Africans residing in India, as students or running businesses. Why not scout for some talent there? If we find a great prospect, groom him/her and naturalize that person as Indian. What say fellas? 

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I am not aware of Siddis. Qasim was born in Kenya and moved to Pakistan later on, so a more pure blood African. 

The black community you talked about and who are found around Makran coast in Pakistan are also known as Siddis.

Quite a few of them in India as well.

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

We have so many Africans residing in India, as students or running businesses. Why not scout for some talent there? If we find a great prospect, groom him/her and naturalize that person as Indian. What say fellas? 

Actually we have a Desi African community living in India since centuries.

Google about Siddis and how we failed to tap their potential and they still remain marginalized in every aspect 

2 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

The black community you talked about and who are found around Makran coast in Pakistan are also known as Siddis.

Quite a few of them in India as well.

1 minute ago, Stradlater said:

Actually we have a Desi African community living in India since centuries.

Google about Siddis and how we failed to tap their potential and they still remain marginalized in every aspect 

Thanks for the info, was unaware about them. Will read up. 

17 minutes ago, Gollum said:

It will be unfair for the home grown talent. We already have so many people "Jo sports ke piche puri zindagi ragad dete hai but never get any opportunity" 

Best is to continue to become better and beat everyone including Africans. Chinese were not naturally strong few years back but they could turn it around and train their home grown talents and beat everyone.

The best part of these games is many medals in games, categories where we have never won anything or since years. Surely would have loved to get Golds and improve the medals tally, currently at #9 seems clearly not true representation of our talents.

P.S First ever TT medal is on its way in Mens Team event. Historical considering Asian countries are powerhouse of TT and this will be as good as winning an Olympic medal.

4 hours ago, Shunya said:

Got that part. Indeed Marin has a top hand in finals against both Sindhu and Saina. She does bring her A game in finals, which is commendable.

But just wanted to point that lot of people misunderstand the level at which different games are played. Example, badminton in Asian games is as brutal as Olympics, hence the drought of medals. Winning in hockey and athletics will be easier in Asian games as compared to Olympics and hence we have lots of medals through these sports historically. 

Agree completely. Hockey looks like india and malaysia have called others for net practice. Whereas Badminton and TT is brutal. 

2 hours ago, PBN said:

sindhu has eclipsed saina for a while though saina does hold that special place for being a pioneer in many ways  in indian women's badminton

Sindhu is potentially our Steffi Graf of Badminton, while Marin is Navratilova.  Hopefully she can go on to get bast her nemesis and dominate badminton at the highest level for some time to come.

Biggest thing in her favor is her physical gifts.  Her height and wingspan are formidable assets on a badminton court.