Sky Sports has lost rights for all India matches including IPL

Its so tough to become a cricket fan in this country. First of all they dont show any live cricket in freeview channels (used to do before) and now Sky lost all rights to Hotstar UK app of India matches. And the worst part is, Sky never formally announced anything. Sky signed 5 year IPL contract in 2017 but aparently they wont show it this year but no announcement.

Hotstar is charging 25£/month subscription. Those of us who already paying Sky, would need to pay additional fee to get digital hotstar. This is non-sense.

So Indian cricket fans in Britain, gear up...except world cup...no Indian cricket this year on Sky.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Its so tough to become a cricket fan in this country. First of all they dont show any live cricket in freeview channels (used to do before) and now Sky lost all rights to Hotstar UK app of India matches. And the worst part is, Sky never formally announced anything. Sky signed 5 year IPL contract in 2017 but aparently they wont show it this year but no announcement.

Hotstar is charging 25£/month subscription. Those of us who already paying Sky, would need to pay additional fee to get digital hotstar. This is non-sense.

So Indian cricket fans in Britain, gear up...except world cup...no Indian cricket this year on Sky.

/

REally?

Its increasingly become pointless to have Sky Sports. A lot of EPL football is on BT Sport as is rights to Ashes in Australia, and tennis is on Amazon prime 

57 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Isn't it £5 per month? I got the annual subscription of hotstar UK, will IPL be covered in that?

Isn't it £5 per month? I got the annual subscription of hotstar UK, will IPL be covered in that?

Yes IPL is in hotstar. Also its 12£ a month + tax. Below is the message I got from Hotstar:

We currently do not have a plan exclusively for Sports, we have the below mentioned plans

For Monthly Sports + Entertainment Pack, pay 11.99 GBP/Month + 20% Taxes (No Free Trial)

For Yearly Sports + Entertainment Pack, pay 59.99 GBP/Year + 20% Taxes (No Free Trial)[/Quote]

REally?

Its increasingly become pointless to have Sky Sports. A lot of EPL football is on BT Sport as is rights to Ashes in Australia, and tennis is on Amazon prime 
Problem is I am only cricket and horse racing fan, not much into football. So Sky Sports racing is must for me but with cricket out, need to find an alternate way.

8 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Yes IPL is in hotstar. Also its 12£ a month + tax. Below is the message I got from Hotstar:

I think they have reduced it now, I checked the hotstar website again and it is 5.99 per month + tax of 20%. So will be around 7 quid per month.

Capture.PNG

I have taken the annual subscription as it is useful for me for watching regional movies as well.

I have spoken to a trusted source within the Sky cricket team. They said reason being Star consider Sky a rival now so are reluctant to give them the rights. With regards to the IPL, Sky do want it but Star would prefer a streaming platform. It's still up in the air whether they'll reach an agreement. 

10 hours ago, Sooda said:

REally?

My source reckons BT sports is going to fade away - apparently the viewing figures are terrible for cricket, Champions League etc. 

1 hour ago, WeStMiDz said:

I have spoken to a trusted source within the Sky cricket team. They said reason being Star consider Sky a rival now so are reluctant to give them the rights. With regards to the IPL, Sky do want it but Star would prefer a streaming platform. It's still up in the air whether they'll reach an agreement. 

USA is a as big a market for UK for bcci like anyone, in fact USA is their biggest market now fays outside India and they have done thr same thing here.

Hotstar has basically taken over here for India’s home cricket series. So if you had Willow TV channel, you won’t be getting to see any home series. Luckilly Willow will show IPL this year and world cup, but may not show IPL next year. People have willow tv channel at home on theiir tv packages(some also some subscribe online) and its annoying for them to subscribe seperately to willow tv channel and still not able to watch India’s home games. The channel is currently playing PSL.

14 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Illegal streams FTW

I think they have reduced it now, I checked the hotstar website again and it is 5.99 per month + tax of 20%. So will be around 7 quid per month.
Capture.PNG.768e844f1a9c4e78d785eb160ec49f8f.PNG

I have taken the annual subscription as it is useful for me for watching regional movies as well.
Its still showing 12£ :whine:

58ec33e272e2bb85c8341ec9132f9188.jpg

4 minutes ago, Stumped said:

They've doubled the price for the IPL. Struggling to see how Star can expect to bring in more from this than Sky would pay for the rights personally.

The only loser here is the IPL brand. SKY made it very famous even among local masses in UK with their build up shows on IPL etc. It had gathered a fantastic following on the last 2 years. Now, not many will be bothered to watch in digital platform and eventually the popularity of the league will reduce.

#SELFGOAL