ICC has to bring some rules to monitor injury replacements

Look I am really happy with Mayank coming in for Shankar and mixed feelings about Dhawan’s injury even though Pant deserved to be in the squad in the first place.

However this is giving an easy way out to selection blunders. Teams that misread conditions or players who are out of form are easily niggled under the injury pretext.

ICC  should have some rules to monitor this loophole.

I mean too bad if a team has only 5 bowlers and 3 keepers and 4 bowlers are injured then it’s bad luck. You bowl with what you have. You can’t give the selectors and team managements an easy way out.

Injuries are supposed to be setbacks for teams not blessings in disguise.

We saw Pakistan do the same as well tinkering with combinations till the last minute . Even with srilanka yes the bowler had chicken pox and nothing can be done about it  but he is replaced  with a batsman?  Russell was replaced by a batsman.

Teams are  ideally selecting 20 players and rotating them under the guise of injury.

There have to be some guidelines here.

So DK and Jadeja are in the squad but Pant and Mayank who come in replacements walk in to the X1 ahead of the original selections? 

I am ok with that as an Indian team fan because it benefits the team but overall there has to be some set of rules for everyone to prevent  these loopholes. There is a reason why there are deadlines for squad submissions.

I mean there are rules now about allowing runners and substitute fielders, why can’t there be the same about squads?

Just now, maniac said:

Look I am really happy with Mayank coming in for Shankar and mixed feelings about Dhawan’s injury even though Pant deserved to be in the squad in the first place.

However this is giving an easy way out to selection blunders. Teams that misread conditions or players who are out of form are easily niggled under the injury pretext.

I mean too bad if a team has only 5 bowlers and 3 keepers and 4 bowlers are injured then it’s bad luck. You bowl with what you have. You can’t give the selectors and team managements an easy way out.

We saw Pakistan do the same as well tinkering with combinations till the last minute . Even with srilanka yes the bowler had chicken pox and nothing can be done about it  but he is replaced  with a batsman?  Russell was replaced by a batsman.

Teams are  ideally selecting 20 players and rotating them under the guise of injury.

So DK and Jadeja are in the squad but Pant and Mayank who come in replacements walk in to the X1 ahead of the original selections? 

I am ok with that as an Indian team fan because it benefits the team but overall there has to be some set of rules for everyone to prevent  these loopholes. There is a reason why there are deadlines for squad submissions.

I mean there are rules now about allowing runners and substitute fielders, why can’t there be the same about squads?

Sir , read this 

Mr Vijay Shankar was struck on the left big toe whilst batting in the nets on June 19th in Southampton. He was able to play in an unrestricted manner in the following two matches against Afghanistan and West Indies. 

Following the match on June 27, the condition of his toe worsened and a CT scan showed he sustained a non-displaced fracture of the left big toe. The condition will require a minimum of three weeks to heal. The injury rules him out of the ongoing World Cup.

4 minutes ago, Stuge said:

Sir , read this 

Mr Vijay Shankar was struck on the left big toe whilst batting in the nets on June 19th in Southampton. He was able to play in an unrestricted manner in the following two matches against Afghanistan and West Indies. 

Following the match on June 27, the condition of his toe worsened and a CT scan showed he sustained a non-displaced fracture of the left big toe. The condition will require a minimum of three weeks to heal. The injury rules him out of the ongoing World Cup.

That’s too bad but then he should be replaced by a guy in the original squad. There are technically 3 more players in the 14.

So the options in the bag were a spin bowling allrounder, a wicket keeper and another bowler. Whose fault it is? Now selectors select an opener as a replacement. Ok fine we had an opener injured too but he is replaced by a wicket keeper- batsman? Isn’t that taking advantage of the system 

As I said injury should be set backs to team not a chance for selection committee to correct their mistakes. This is not just for India but for all teams. 

Once again there have to be rules.

Edited by maniac

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion because we are happy with the replacements and happy that Shankar is out but this clearly a loophole that not just India but all teams are taking advantage of.

There is a reason why there are deadlines for squad submissions and enough window given for the same.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Pant replaced Shankar in the team. What's wrong with that? Problem would have been if they instead had played DK then what's the use bringing a replacement. Replacements are only logical if a replaced player plays and not warm the bench 

1 hour ago, maniac said:

That’s too bad but then he should be replaced by a guy in the original squad. There are technically 3 more players in the 14.

So the options in the bag were a spin bowling allrounder, a wicket keeper and another bowler. Whose fault it is? Now selectors select an opener as a replacement. Ok fine we had an opener injured too but he is replaced by a wicket keeper- batsman? Isn’t that taking advantage of the system 

As I said injury should be set backs to team not a chance for selection committee to correct their mistakes. This is not just for India but for all teams. 

Once again there have to be rules.

Why should injury be a set back to a team? It should not be. If it is then WC isn't worth it or valuable.

Just now, rkt.india said:

Pant replaced Shankar in the team. What's wrong with that? Problem would have been if they instead had played DK then what's the use bringing a replacement. Replacements are only logical if a replaced player plays and not warm the bench 

Pant replaced Dhawan not Shankar. Anyways what is the point of windows and deadlines for selections etc ? 

I am not saying indian TM is lying about injuries but clearly this is a loophole teams can take advantage of which makes the entire point of deadlines for team submissions and selection committees decisions  pointless.

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Pant replaced Dhawan not Shankar. Anyways what is the point of windows and deadlines for selections etc ? 

I am not saying indian TM is lying about injuries but clearly this is a loophole teams can take advantage of which makes the entire point of deadlines for team submissions and selection committees decisions  pointless.

Shankar replaced Dhawan in the XI, but pant was original replacement of Dhawan, Shankar injured, pant replaced him.

Not just injury but I believe Afghan for example sent 2 players out on “disciplinary”

grounds and brought replacements. No one cares because it is Afghan but isn’t this a loophole. Just say disciplinary step and get some other replacement. I mean is there any kind of monitoring here. 

This whole squad selection deadlines is just pointless. Obviously WC is almost over. However this is just too convenient for teams.

Best solution is to allow teams to pick 20 member squads (3 keepers compulsory), no replacement allowed after cutoff date...like they do in the hockey WC. That way teams can gamble by selecting 1/2 semi-injured payers in the hope that they make full recovery after a few days. But no shady business..... Yeah hotel/transport costs may be a bit more but cricket isn't a beggar sport. 

Edited by Gollum
On 7/1/2019 at 12:28 PM, maniac said:

whats the point, cricket is 11 best players of each side fighting it out with bat and ball within the game rules on the ground, not selectors selecting etc.