Yuvraj: I am “obviously� disappointed

Feed

Moments after getting the axe from Team India, star India batsman Yuvraj Singh made no attempt to hide his displeasure and said that he was ‘obviously disappointed' and hurt. More... Monday 20th September 2010 Yuvraj: I am “obviously” disappointed Moments after getting the axe from Team India, star India batsman Yuvraj Singh made no attempt to hide his displeasure and said that he was ‘obviously disappointed' and hurt. “Disappointments have been part of my job now and I got to live with it, but I am definitely not out of form,” Yuvraj told Times Now. “My fitness is much better now than it was in the past. I scored well in Sri Lanka and then injury forced me out. I am obviously disappointed. I am not sure of the next target so will continue playing in whatever team I am picked for,” Yuvraj Singh said on being quizzed. "I scored a century and a fifty in Sri Lanka and if that is not good enough then I can only say that selection is not in my hands," Yuvraj added. India will play Australia in a two match Test series starting October 1st in Mohali. When asked about whether he would miss playing infront his home crowd, Yuvraj answered, “Of course I will miss my-self in Mohali”. Earlier, Yuvraj Singh was dropped for next month's Test series against Australia. Cheteshwar Pujara, the Saurashtra batsman who has been scoring heavily in domestic and other first-class cricket, will replace Yuvraj Singh in the team. Indian selectors also left out young Karnataka seamer Abhimanyu Mithun, who impressed everyone with his performance in Sri Lanka series. BCCI: Selectors picked up best squad Meanwhile, The Cricket Board (BCCI) refused to read too much into Yuvraj Singh's omission from the Test series against Australia and said the national selectors have picked the best-possible squad for the two Test matches starting October 1 in Mohali. "I think it should be left to the selectors to decide which batsman they want to pick for the Test series against Australia keeping in mind the venues. They (selectors) have done a good job. This is the best possible team they have selected," BCCI vice-president Rajeev Shukla said. "As far as Yuvraj is concerned, the selectors have made him captain of the Rest of India team. When they will find he is fit enough to join the team, they will call him back. I don't think we should interpret the selectors' decision," Shukla said. Meanwhile, the BCCI official also said that water-tight security arrangements have been put in place for the visiting Australia team, which landed here this morning, in the wake of a firing incident here targeting foreign nationals. "I don't think Australia need to worry much about the security situation in India. We have made full-proof security arrangements. They (Australians) will find their stay in the country comfortable," Shukla said. "We are in constant touch with the Home Ministry and respective state governments. I don't think there should be any doubt related to the security situation during the series," he added. Dream come true for Pujara Meawhile, delighted to get his maiden call-up to the Indian Test team, Saurashtra batsman Cheteshwar Pujara said the selection for the two-match series against Australia did not come as a surprise to him but it was a dream-come-true moment of his career. "It's a dream-come-true for any cricketer. I was hoping for the call after my recent performances. I am really happy at my selection," Pujara told PTI. "It's going to be a challenge. They (Australia) have been the world's best team for years. I will try to deliver my best," he said. "I owe it to my parents and want to thank them, especially my father, who is my coach too," he added. The right-hander said that he would like to fine-tune his skills and learn more tricks of the game from his seniors in the national team during the Australia series.

Unless of course it was a judgment call, some of the selectorial decisions vis-à-vis the middle order spot in tests has been slightly baffling. They had Badri and Rohit as the back-up middle order replacements for the South African series, only to dump both of them and bring in Raina for the Lankan series, when it was pretty clear Yuvraj was still no.1 choice for the no.6 spot. Yuvraj didn’t put a foot wrong in the Lankan tour (got a superb 100 in the tour match, 50 in the only test he played..). He got injured, Raina came and played superbly. Now that Yuvraj is fit again, shouldn’t he be competing with Raina as to who’s going to take the no.6 spot for the Aussie tour? Instead, Yuvraj is now dropped and in comes Pujara. How can some one go from first choice middle order batsmen to an absolute no show in the space of one series, even after performing well in that series? The only explanation is that a)the selectors have completely lost faith in Yuvraj in a matter of weeks or b) They think Pujara is too good to be kept out of the test side and they have chosen to groom him keeping in mind the future in store (Sachin, Dravid and VVS all in the twilight of their careers)

I really think UV is running out of time (if not has no time whatsoever) in trying to cement his place in the test side. I am with Prof, for UV to actually give up test cap and concentrate in limited overs cricket instead. Indian middle order is at the most fragile stage now and we cannot hold the same patience like we did earlier for UV to actually get in his grooves to compensate in test cricket. RSD is looking dodgy and VVS/SRT won't be there for more than 2-3 years in our middle order, so its in our best interest we give chances to those who can actually adapt to tests faster and efficiently than Yuvraj.

Another huge drawback with Yuvraj is that even if he is able to establish himself in the test team, and it's a big if, this much is clear that he will never be able to bat at number 3 or 4. He just does not have the technique to bat that high up, even if improves to the extent that he can hold his own at number 6. This would mean that after Tendulkar, Dravid, and Laxman leave a newcomer(s) will have to be drafted into the top 4, because Yuvraj won't move up, or would not have the game to be successful there. That is not how to build a batting order. All long term successful batting orders, draft in a newcomer at number 6 and when someone from 3/4/5 leaves, gradually move them up, after the batsman has had a chance to establish himself. I can never see Yuvraj come in a number 3/4 in places like England, Australia, South Africa after the loss of a couple of quick wickets at the top of the order. His utility in tests is specific to number 6, maybe number 5, even if it is. It would be fine if we had a paucity of batsmen, but our domestic circuit is teaming with so many batsmen who look to have loads of more potential than Yuvraj.

his test career is done. he has had too many chances, if u think about it. most batsmen from india wont get the same number of chances. you also have to think about all those times he was picked in the test squad, but never played. so he has been around for ages with little to show for it. but he isnt gonna be going anywhere if pujara, raina and these other guys dont establish themselves quickly. yuvraj is a convenient fall back for the selectors because he always gets runs in the ODIs. lets hope pujara and raina score loads of runs so we dont have to worry about playing test misfits like yuvraj

Another huge drawback with Yuvraj is that even if he is able to establish himself in the test team, and it's a big if, this much is clear that he will never be able to bat at number 3 or 4. He just does not have the technique to bat that high up, even if improves to the extent that he can hold his own at number 6. This would mean that after Tendulkar, Dravid, and Laxman leave a newcomer(s) will have to be drafted into the top 4, because Yuvraj won't move up, or would not have the game to be successful there. That is not how to build a batting order. All long term successful batting orders, draft in a newcomer at number 6 and when someone from 3/4/5 leaves, gradually move them up, after the batsman has had a chance to establish himself. I can never see Yuvraj come in a number 3/4 in places like England, Australia, South Africa after the loss of a couple of quick wickets at the top of the order. His utility in tests is specific to number 6, maybe number 5, even if it is. It would be fine if we had a paucity of batsmen, but our domestic circuit is teaming with so many batsmen who look to have loads of more potential than Yuvraj.
yup , Yuvi was always fighting for Gangulys spot ....thats the only place , where you dont need a innings builder ...to bat at 3, 4 or 5 , you need a huge appetite for big scores & even with the talent he possessed Yuvraj was never going to score big hunreds consistently ...but unfortunatly for him , we have a few batsmen who better fit even for the No 6 spot ...Rana certainly has a earned a season for him self with an impressive start & I will be surprised if he dosent establish himself at that spot .