Philander brings an end to Steyn's 186-match run as No. 1 Test bowler

sachin34357

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/703449.html
Vernon Philander, the South Africa fast bowler, has displaced his team-mate Dale Steyn at the top of the ICC Test bowlers' rankings. Philander moved to the top after a fine showing in Johannesburg, bringing to an end Steyn's 186-match run at No. 1 - the second most by any bowler after Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan, whom Steyn overtook to the top in July 2009.
South Africa fast bowler Vernon Philander has achieved the coveted number-one ranking on the Reliance ICC Player Rankings for Test Bowlers after a stellar performance against India in the Johannesburg Test, which ended in a thrilling draw on Sunday. Philander had entered the Test trailing team-mate Dale Steyn by four ratings points. While Philander recorded figures of four for 61 and three for 68, Steyn managed just one wicket. The contrasting performances resulted in Philander gaining 13 ratings points and Steyn conceding 13 ratings points. This swing means Philander now leads Steyn by 22 ratings points and the 28-year-old from Bellville will now start the Durban Test as the number-one ranked bowler in the world for the first time in his career. Reacting to the news that he is the new number-one ranked Test bowler, Philander said: “I am happy with my position as the No.1 ranked Test bowler. It is an honour to have been bowling alongside a champion like Dale. “It’s been a great couple of years for our squad, and I have been fortunate enough to contribute to our success on the field. What has been the most pleasing though for us has been the all-round contribution from everyone in the squad that has been the main reason for our success over the last few years. “Needless to say, it is always easier to be at the top of your game and successful when you are part of a winning team. Dale has been a tireless workhorse for us and continues to consistently put in quality performances for our team, it is no wonder that he was at the top of the bowling ranking for so long.” Philander has dislodged Steyn, who had been at the top of table since July 2009 when he went past Sri Lanka’s Muttiah Muralidaran. Overall, Steyn spent 186 matches at the number-one position, the second-most ever after Muralidaran. Philander is now the seventh South Africa bowler to claim the number-one rank after Aubrey Faulkner (1914-1921), Hugh Tayfield (1955-1958), Peter Pollock (1969), Allan Donald (1998-1999), Shaun Pollock (1999-2003) and Steyn (2008-2013). Overall Philander is the 74th bowler to head the Test bowling ranking. Philander has also become the third South Africa bowler after Pollock and Steyn to break the barrier of 900 ratings points, considered a landmark for top bowlers. Philander’s total of 912 ratings points is the joint-sixth best ever, with England’s Tony Lock and West Indies paceman Curtly Ambrose, and the best-ever by a South Africa bowler.

Makes me more worried thinking of what this is going to do to Styn's bowling in next match. Already that guy's ego has been hurt after going wicketless in the second innings and also he was too p1ssed off after drawing the first match. Guess he is going to rattle, run down, dismantle, blow-off our line up. :nervous::((:sniffle::nervous::((:sniffle::nervous::((:sniffle:

Makes me more worried thinking of what this is going to do to Styn's bowling in next match. Already that guy's ego has been hurt after going wicketless in the second innings and also he was too p1ssed off after drawing the first match. Guess he is going to rattle' date=' run down, dismantle, blow-off our line up. :nervous::((:sniffle::nervous::((:sniffle::nervous::((:sniffle:[/quote'] We are not minnows who will be blown away He already bowled quick spells in this match but we batted well and hopefully we will bat even better in next game He might get a fifer ..he usually does but I am hopeful we are going to continue impressing everyone ..and one of pujara ,Kohli or vijay will get big score

Philander is in a way lucky that they have a quiet few tundlers they can use as for ODIs like Totsobe,Mclaren etc....Can you imagine him bowling on the pitches were the recent Ind-Aus was played,He would have been absolutely destroyed. For an important game they can always bring in STeyn or Morkel so his services are never needed. I can see Philander going for 20+ overs often if he plays in T20's or ODIs

This guy is a true testament to the fact that skill is the most important pre-requisite for success as a fast bowler in international cricket and not just brute pace.
Philander does not have any real great skills like swing of Steyn or Anderson, but he is metronomic in the mold of McGrath. Does not swing the ball much but keeps it in the area just around off stump consistently. Key here is consistency and hitting the deck hard and with his wobbly seam, batsmen find it difficult to assess which way the ball will move after pitching and here he troubles them and he is not really slow, bowls around 130-135 which can be good enough in test cricket if you can bowl with that much consistency and this is what most bowlers cannot do.
@ RKT ' date=' being metronomic is a skill as well :winky:[/quote'] Yes, but it is not considered as a skill but a practiced method and that is why I said "this is what most bowlers cannot do," but people think that any bowler who is bowling 130 must be bowling good line and lengths, but that is not the case. Bowling line and length is the toughest skill to master. This is the reason there have not been many such bowlers doing it successfully.
Yes' date=' but it is not considered as a skill but a practiced method and that is why I said "this is what most bowlers cannot do," but people think that any bowler who is bowling 130 must be bowling good line and lengths, but that is not the case. Bowling line and length is the toughest skill to master. This is the reason there have not been many such bowlers doing it successfully.[/quote'] If India had the resources like S.A do I am not even kidding when I say this but Bhuvan had the potential to be our very own Philander if he was well protected...Not comparing the 2 but just saying they are very similar bowlers and definetely if not for over-playing Bhuvan,he was increasing his speed around the Aus test series and C.T .
If India had the resources like S.A do I am not even kidding when I say this but Bhuvan had the potential to be our very own Philander if he was well protected...Not comparing the 2 but just saying they are very similar bowlers and definetely if not for over-playing Bhuvan' date='he was increasing his speed around the Aus test series and C.T .[/quote'] They are not at all similar bowlers. BK is a swing bowler who mostly releases the ball, Philander is a hit the deck bowler. Both have completely different bowling actions as well. BK is predominant inswing action. Philander a bit round armish. Philander bowls from so close to the stumps that he always hits 4th stump line and ball seams away both ways from there.

It is unfair to put him just as product of SA pitches, he did very well in England and NZ yes he struggled in Australia but those were some of flattest wickets they encountered and on those wickets he will struggle like many other bowlers. He is very decent batsmen and with him in the team their batting is almost invincible.One test he missed at home they even lost to srilanka. He bowls with such control he is impossible to get away and that is a great asset for any captain as he provides control even if he does not take any wickets.