Team India's T20 Batting Strategy - Consistency at the cost of cutting-edge?

sandeep

Today's warm-up games in progress showcase two contrasting batting tactics - India have scored 185 against the WI while the Kiwis have piled up 226 against SL.  Under Dhoni, India has always looked to start cautiously and first ensure that we don't fall into a sub-par total.  Having ensured that, then we try to maximize the scoring in the 2nd half.  Such a strategy ensures that we don't "lose" the game in the 1st 10 overs,  but it also sacrifices the possibility of piling up a monster score that would "win" the game in the 1st innings.  

Contrast that with some of the other approaches in the modern game - where teams such as Australia, McCullum's Kiwis and lately even the Pommies.  They start off aiming at 200 and look to get off to a big start and try to put scoreboard pressure on the bowlers.  They are ready to lose a few wickets up top, even if it opens up the possibility of a par or below-par total at the end of 20 overs.  To put it in scoreboard terms, they are more likely to go for 65-70 odd in the first 6 overs, even if 2 wickets are lost, while India is more likely to aim at 40-odd for no loss.  

India's risk mitigation approach has resulted in a very high win percentage, and its difficult to argue against wins.  But as the WC T20 starts, India's approach keeps a big risk on the table - especially batting first - they might end up with a 170-190 total on a track where you would need 210 or so to defend successfully.  Will Dhoni and co. be able to change their tactics if they go up against a quality batting unit and have to set a target?  

To some degree, its the mix of team personnel that have led us to this approach - Before the blooding of Hardik Pandya, and Yuvi's recent resurgence, we had a gaping hole in the middle-order that necessitated such a cautious approach.  This personnel issue is addressed to some extent, with even Dhoni finding a few big hits lately.  But the question is, will the team set their sights a bit higher as a matter of strategy?  Its no secret that Dhoni's instinct is to take the game as deep as possible and then take his chances - but such a one-note approach can be a bit predictable and easy to game-plan against.  I would be very surprised for instance, if more teams didn't start using their 2nd rung bowlers against India in the 1st 10 overs, or even powerplay overs, knowing that India will not risk too much too early.  

Personally, I believe their current approach is good enough to contend, but likely to fall short of championship victory.  There will come a time in the WC, that India will need to seize the initiative and risk failure in chasing success, batting first.    Let's hope that we are able to do so, and just win, baby:cool:

^ That is a good post .... Ind tends to depend a lot on Rohit and Kohli so with them batting in the top 3, Ind could start cautiously. I think guys such as Dhawan, Raina, Yuvi, etc. will have to quickly switch on .... May be Ind can also consider opening with someone like Pandya to make the optimal use of PP in some of the games

In the Asia Cup final, we saw how Dhawan was trying to stay for as long as possible. But that more like Kohli's job when he is at the crease. The guy at the other end should take more risks 

Edited by rett

^ That is a good post .... Ind tends to depend a lot on Rohit and Kohli so with them batting in the top 3, Ind could start cautiously. I think guys such as Dhawan, Raina, Yuvi, etc. will have to quickly switch on .... May be Ind can also consider opening with someone like Pandya to make the optimal use of PP in some of the games

In the Asia Cup final, we saw how Dhawan was trying to stay for as long as possible. But that more like Kohli's job when he is at the crease. The guy at the other end should take more risks 

I think the players are doing a good job at an individual level - and I trust them to make the right calls in those types of situations - based on the bowler, conditions, matchups, which one of them is in better flow, etc - we have the luxury of quality batsmen with the experience and ability to handle that.  My concern is at a more macro level - as a batting unit -  what is the team plan and target when they bat first for the powerplay.  This is a crucial decision that if the team gets wrong, will bite them in a crunch knock-out game.  Difference between 45/0 or 65/2 after 6 overs could end up deciding the game, even if we bat relatively well in the next 15 overs.  

Fair point. But unfortunately, our openers never seem to go bang bang these days. I believe Dhawan can afford to take few more risks and let Rohit control the game from the other end.

True.  For all of Rohit's hitting ability later on in his innings, he definitely is a slow starter.  Very much a right-handed Ganguly with similarly weak-ish strike rotation, who really makes it up if he plays a long enough innings.  

And that's why Dhawan should be given a bit longer rope, even though he hasn't exactly set it alight in T20s.  He's reasonably unselfish and willing to take risks for the team.  

Edited by sandeep

True.  For all of Rohit's hitting ability later on in his innings, he definitely is a slow starter.  Very much a right-handed Ganguly with similarly weak-ish strike rotation, who really makes it up if he plays a long enough innings.  

And that's why Dhawan should be given a bit longer rope, even though he hasn't exactly set it alight in T20s.  He's reasonably unselfish and willing to take risks for the team.  

Agreed. And Rahane shouldn't be playing in the XI. 

Rahane and Bhajji are spare tyres for the tournament  - in case any of the top 3 bats get injured or Ash gets injured.  Negi is backing up Jadeja/Yuvi.  From what I saw of him, he's not ready for prime time just yet.  Shami/Nehra is a pretty good option as well.  You can argue against Rahane in T20 squad and for Manish Pandey or someone else, but overall selectors deserve credit.  I just wish Amit Mishra was in the squad, especially for when we play Oz/Eng/ or even Kiwis.  

But that's a tangent - main point of the thread - will the Indian batting strategy work on the flat tracks in India?  Or do they risk being out-gunned?  WWDD?  What will Dhoni Do?:--D

Rahane and Bhajji are spare tyres for the tournament  - in case any of the top 3 bats get injured or Ash gets injured.  Negi is backing up Jadeja/Yuvi.  From what I saw of him, he's not ready for prime time just yet.  Shami/Nehra is a pretty good option as well.  You can argue against Rahane in T20 squad and for Manish Pandey or someone else, but overall selectors deserve credit.  I just wish Amit Mishra was in the squad, especially for when we play Oz/Eng/ or even Kiwis.  

But that's a tangent - main point of the thread - will the Indian batting strategy work on the flat tracks in India?  Or do they risk being out-gunned?  WWDD?  What will Dhoni Do?:--D

Mishra has been an enigma to me. He certainly deserved to have played more for India. The Last world t20, he was among the wickets.

180 is a good score in T20s. It's the responsibility of the bowler to defend it. If we get 180 every time.then there is no point blaming whatever approach the batsmen take. We have a different style of batting. There is no point getting 150 odd on a flat deck. Thus they first ensure that we get to a par total and then get some extra runs

That's is having said we bat first. We do lack the cutting edge to chase big scores and I think if we are going to loose any match in WT20 it's going to be through this. The batting team will pile up runs and we will end up loosing. We lack the mind set that says that if they can do it then so can we. See Australia v SA 2nd T20. Warner and Maxwell kind of innings is impossible to see with Indian middle order batsmen currently.

Cant watch the game but Pandya with a 11-run over with 2 wides - not a sign of improvement.

I don't see him improving at all. Like his attitude, but he is also comes across a bit arrogant. Virat keeps improving with the bat and has stats to back him up so his arrogance to some degree is justified. But Pandya has had only 2 good knocks and has a knack of picking wickets (called beginner's luck..for 1-1.5 year i expect him to keep taking wickets), but that luck will run out if he doesn't work on his bowling. He also feels that there is no one in domestic cricket who can take his place in the side, so I am hoping some new pace all-rounder emerges and knocks the door of the selectors. This guy should not be allowed to take his place for granted. 

Got to take into consideration the different pitch conditions as well as match situation.  A lot depends on how quickly and accurately  the batsmen read the pitch conditions and decide on what's a good score.  If Dhawan and Sharma are in good nick then one of them can pinch hit.  At the moment, India is missing a real pinch hitter at the top of the order.  Dhawan has to be in really fine form to be able to fill that role and Rohit gets better as the innings progresses.  The only thing the top order shouldn't do is to get bogged down and then the pressure really builds.  Gotta keep on rotating the strike and a boundary here and there.  All basics but difficult to implement according to match situations under pressure.

Worst fears coming true -and that against bangbros.  In hindsight, the openers should have been more aggressive, they got out anyway.  We are too timid in our T20 batting strategy.  That, along with a few dropped catches, and crash out of the world cup.  

and now Toygers will get to do lungi dance in front of our faces:hysterical:

Sooooper lucky escape thanks to BD striping their own chaddis when they had the game in the bag.  But point still holds.  

Edited by sandeep

sandeep / Adi ...

^ Would you not admit that ICF-fans were cocky too? Despite knowing our weakness (barring Kohli) - there was so much chest-thumping going on saying we will crush Bangladesh. (bulbul always does it, but I am talking about others). Anyway the result is a stark reality which once again will be ignored by jingoistic fans.

Edited by fineleg