IPL con

goose

The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams at the end of the league phase of the IPL win on average 8.1 games from 14 played across seasons 2008-2016.

I have adjusted for the 2012 and 2013 seasons where 16 games were played by each team due to the addition of a 9th team. I have further assumed the games won by the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place in the ongoing 2016 season will be 8.

The average rises from 8.1 to 8.5 games won if we include the 1st placed team.

So, that's 6 weeks of 'cricket' to determine that elite grouping of 4 teams from 8 that have accomplished the formidable task of winning one more game than they have lost. 

What's more the difference between coming 2nd (thereby getting two cracks at making the final) and 3rd has been on average winning an extra 0.5 games. 

In the current IPL six teams are still with a chance of making it to the last 4 with one game left to play. That's not exciting, that's a con. I do watch the IPL. I enjoy the each game in its own right and the performance of individuals. But how you can actually support a single team is beyond me.

The youth of India are being taken for a ride in the biggest circus in town.

That is what makes it interesting. Most teams can win a game on their day. No team is taken for granted.

It is boring when the difference between the teams is too stark.8 teams out of which six are good competition for each other.

1 hour ago, goose said:

In the current IPL six teams are still with a chance of making it to the last 4 with one game left to play. That's not exciting, that's a con. I do watch the IPL. I enjoy the each game in its own right and the performance of individuals. But how you can actually support a single team is beyond me.

You totally lost me with this paragraph.. How is that not exciting?

It is like saying how is it exciting to have one winner when two teams play the final... Crunch situations bring out the best in teams.. In addition to being consistent through the season,  teams are expected to perform in do or die situations to be worthy of the Champion title..

It's one big coin toss. In a best of 99 coin toss, with score 49 heads and 49 tails, sure the 99th toss will be exciting...if you like that kind of thing. To clarify, I think the IPL is interesting to watch with 1-2 games to play. It's what comes before that stinks.

I think you will find in a 8 team league, where the top 6 sides have a slightly better than 50% win percentage i.e  7 wins from 13 with one or two games to play (as i said in original post this is what has tended to happen over the nine IPL seasons so far such is the nature of T20 cricket), at least two if not three (and sometimes all four) of the top spots are up for grabs. This is not a cricket phenomenon but a mathematical one. In a game where the margins are so fine, and it's virtually impossible to win/lose every game (not surprising when every side is a combination of great players and emerging locals), the 8 team league is bogus. 

The IPL always get interesting with 1-2 games to go. Every season we watch for 5 weeks to work out who the 2 minnows are then play what is essentially a knock-out. Actually, the IPL league needs to be much bigger and longer.  Otherwise get real and see the current format for what it is. An utterly artificial league followed by knock-out. 

In 100 years time when 6 sides have won (assuming they haven't been disbanded) the IPL 15 times each, maybe then the kids raised on this stuff will understand the con.

Edited by goose

13 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

I love the OP for the effort and thought he put in. But he obviously has no reasonable point here.

Thanks

It is 100 years ahead of the time :bebored:

"In 100 years time when 6 sides have won (assuming they haven't been disbanded) the IPL 15 times each, maybe then the kids raised on this stuff will understand the con"

Edited by rett

15 minutes ago, rett said:

It is 100 years ahead of the time :bebored:

"In 100 years time when 6 sides have won (assuming they haven't been disbanded) the IPL 15 times each, maybe then the kids raised on this stuff will understand the con"

Guess OP would have some validly if play-offs were actually semifinals.

3rd and 4th ranked teams need to win 3 consecutive matches in playoffs. So they are playing quarterfinals, semifinals and then finals in playoffs.

1st and 2nd ranked team just have to one win out of 2 matches to reach finals.

So 3rd and 4th team has far less chance of winning the cup.

1st and 2nd ranked teams, who would have been most consistent throughout the season get the best chance in playoffs. 

56 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

1st and 2nd ranked teams, who would have been most consistent throughout the season get the best chance in playoffs. 

Coming out at 1 and 2 is not easy in a long tourney so the teams are rewarded rightly more often than not, imo. To make the league stages even more competitive, may be the top team should go to the final. And #2 and #3 play the qualifier :dontknow:

3rd and 4th ranked teams need to win 3 consecutive matches in playoffs. So they are playing quarterfinals, semifinals and then finals in playoffs.

It's the fickleness of getting to 3rd and 4th that i'm on about. Sure, thereafter if you win 3 games on the bounce and you lift the cup you are worthy winners of a mini knock-out tournament - that's it. 

I can imagine an IPL team talk goes something like... right men we play 14 games, forget about winning all of them that doesn't happen, just win as many as you lose, ok maybe nick the odd game somewhere to make it 8-6, and we're into the knock-out stages. Truly inspirational.

34 minutes ago, goose said:

It's the fickleness of getting to 3rd and 4th that i'm on about. Sure, thereafter if you win 3 games on the bounce and you lift the cup you are worthy winners of a mini knock-out tournament - that's it. 

I can imagine an IPL team talk goes something like... right men we play 14 games, forget about winning all of them that doesn't happen, just win as many as you lose, ok maybe nick the odd game somewhere to make it 8-6, and we're into the knock-out stages. Truly inspirational.

1. 8-6 is actually good enough in my books.

2. How many times has 3rd or 4th ranked team actually won the tournament? Very few times. Why? Because they are at very significant disadvantage to 1st and 2nd ranked teams.

53 minutes ago, rett said:

Coming out at 1 and 2 is not easy in a long tourney so the teams are rewarded rightly more often than not, imo. To make the league stages even more competitive, may be the top team should go to the final. And #2 and #3 play the qualifier :dontknow:

Maybe. Can be thought about.

I don't know what the issue is about 3rd and 4th teams. Even if you divide the 8 teams in to two groups, you would still get 4 teams (2 from each group) playing the KOs .... In the current format, the 3rd and 4th placed teams have to work harder to get the trophy 

54 minutes ago, goose said:

Winning 3 crunch games is really hard and with little recovery time.  In fact, since the introduction of the playoffs in 2011, only the top 2 ranked teams have won the IPL titles.  #3 or #4 ranked teams havent won a single IPL title since the playoffs started.  Though this year might be different?

Edited by PBN

People watch the IPL for entertainment and render their support to a particular team based on the presence of their favorite players, identifying with the culture of the place where the franchise is located etc. I don't think many people care to identify with a team just because that is invincible, unbeatable etc.

People want close matches to be entertained. It's no fun if a clear league topper is identified half way through the tournament and the rest of the tournament is reduced to a farce. It doesn't work that way.

16 hours ago, moniker said:

People watch the IPL for entertainment and render their support to a particular team based on the presence of their favorite players, identifying with the culture of the place where the franchise is located etc. I don't think many people care to identify with a team just because that is invincible, unbeatable etc.

People want close matches to be entertained. It's no fun if a clear league topper is identified half way through the tournament and the rest of the tournament is reduced to a farce. It doesn't work that way.

Thank you for spelling this out. You have just perfectly described WWF. 

And like clockwork 2nd, 3rd, and 4th end on 8 wins.

Gujarat Lions top the league. Lucky they beat Mumbai Indians in their last game otherwise they'd be 5th.

Ridiculous.

Edited by goose

Rcb will play in finals at chinnaswamy stadium. Allthough cant figure out why all of sudden umpires  consistently started making mistakes in favour of RCB. 

Rule to drop players and bring new players in middle of tournament is disgrace and being misused by frenchiaes openly. 

Hits gi fir aixes is fine but everytime mishits are going over the rope. Boundries should be stretched  further on everyside

On 2016-05-21 at 10:32 AM, PBN said:

Winning 3 crunch games is really hard and with little recovery time.  In fact, since the introduction of the playoffs in 2011, only the top 2 ranked teams have won the IPL titles.  #3 or #4 ranked teams havent won a single IPL title since the playoffs started.  Though this year might be different?

again the winner will be from the top 2 since playoffs introduced