'Ready to lose a few games if we need to try out something

Stuge

Kohli's choice of bowlers in ODIs have been consistently defensive from CT 17.

Only Bumrah has a high wickets per match ratio among bowlers with 15+ ODIs.

Kuldeep is a must in ever ODI and T20I.... to take wickets.

We should try out Shardul too, to see how he does.

Even Chahal has a low wickets per match ratio of 1.18 in List A games.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Spot on.  VK has shown a strong conservative streak in terms of selection, and bowling changes.  He's extremely pro-veteran, and very hesitant to select or bowl 'new' guys.   His field placements are also quite conservative most of the time.   If you think about it, its a logical extension and reflection of his batting method - classical technique, disciplined and judicious high-percentage shot selection aimed at maximizing his strengths and minimizing risk.   Leads to his robotically high levels of consistency and run production in ODIs.  He's the Ivan Lendl of LOI batting, not really an "innovator" with the bat in hand.  His Captaincy is in the same vein.   

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Kohli has played all his cricket under Dhoni. In tests, he is different but in ODIs, he is just following Dhoni's steps. 

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Spot on.  VK has shown a strong conservative streak in terms of selection, and bowling changes.  He's extremely pro-veteran, and very hesitant to select or bowl 'new' guys.   His field placements are also quite conservative most of the time.   If you think about it, its a logical extension and reflection of his batting method - classical technique, disciplined and judicious high-percentage shot selection aimed at maximizing his strengths and minimizing risk.   Leads to his robotically high levels of consistency and run production in ODIs.  He's the Ivan Lendl of LOI batting, not really an "innovator" with the bat in hand.  His Captaincy is in the same vein.   

A couple of differences I see between Kohli, the ODI batter and Lendl, the tennis player are that Kohli has extra power which Lendl lacked and Kohli has a much wider range of classical strokes while Lendl depended on fewer number of extremely practiced strokes.

Kohli, the captain, is conservative in terms of field placements in both tests and ODIs.  So, that part is consistent albeit a weakness.

But I expected more aggressive player selections in ODIs as, in tests, he chooses wicket-taking bowlers and likes stroke players.  Tries to play 5 bowlers and not 6 batsmen. Have tried debutants like Pandya, Jayant, Nair.

But, come ODIs, he prefers low ER bowlers compared to wicket-taking ones .... likes older players.  LOIs are won by taking wickets and not containing runs.  I wonder whether there is a conceptual mistake about how to win LOIs on his part.  Otherwise, he would not make Shami and Kuldeep warm the benches.

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Its not about trying. Tests are not for experiment. I am talking about aggressive mindset in tests while defensive in ODIs.  

kohli also played all his test cricket under dhoni and what aggressive mindset,he had long on long offs multiple time agnst this hapless lankan side 

17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

A couple of differences I see between Kohli, the ODI batter and Lendl, the tennis player are that Kohli has extra power which Lendl lacked and Kohli has a much wider range of classical strokes while Lendl depended on fewer number of extremely practiced strokes.

Call him Stefan Edberg then :p:  

The Lendl Analogy was a positive one, at least in intent - an appreciation of Virat's hard work, intensity, and ability to execute at a high level of quality and consistency.  Not an attempt to claim that VK is limited in technique or ability, like Lendl was, to some extent.  

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Pandya, Nair and Jayant Yadav have debuted under him.  Mukund has come back after a long time.

you know few of these batsmen cam in only cos of injuries and even his Fav Rohit was injured . 

Pandya was a no brainer , we tried Binny under Dhoni and thats how desperate we where for a pace bowling AR . 

Even in ODIs , Pant and Kuldeep and Chahal  debuted , KL is being tried out at No4 and Pandey is back in the squad .  They got  DK after a long time , gave Yuvi  and Rahane a shot in the last series .  Clearly they have experimented more with a ODI side than the test side , even though we have relatively played fewer ODI matches lately .

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Call him Stefan Edberg then :p:  

The Lendl Analogy was a positive one, at least in intent - an appreciation of Virat's hard work, intensity, and ability to execute at a high level of quality and consistency.  Not an attempt to claim that VK is limited in technique or ability, like Lendl was, to some extent.  

I know that, but pointed out those issues because someone who has extra power and a wider range of strokes does not need to take risks or innovate most of the time.   : )

But, his ODI player selection has been a clear weakness and he needs to understand the importance of wicket-takers in the shorter formats.

9 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

kohli's aggression will be seen when there will be a need to buy wickets overseas with 'aggressive field positions',at the momemt aggression is throwing the ball to ashwin/jaddu 

Somehow they failed to notice the most important aspect of captaincy , even in home like conditions Virats filed positions can be hardly called as aggressive . 

4 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

you know few of these batsmen cam in only cos of injuries and even his Fav Rohit was injured . 

Yuvraj had an excellent Ranji season and we could have seen him come in.  There was talk of that happening in the media before Nair's selection.

Pandya was a no brainer , we tried Binny under Dhoni and thats how desperate we where for a pace bowling AR . 

Pandya was not a no-brainer on the slow-pitches of SL in a test match.  

Even in ODIs , Pant and Kuldeep and Chahal  debuted , KL is being tried out at No4 and Pandey is back in the squad .  They got  DK after a long time , gave Yuvi  and Rahane a shot in the last series .  Clearly they have experimented more with a ODI side than the test side , even though we have relatively played fewer ODI matches lately .

My point was about Kohli not picking sufficient wicket-taking bowlers in ODIs.  

I get the feel that Kohli, the captain, has a  better understanding and comfort-level in test matches than ODIs.