Sachin Tendulkar vs Steve Smith - Comparative Analysis

jalebi_bhai

Who was the better overall batsman at similar stages in their careers (57 Tests and 103 ODIs)?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better overall batsman at similar stages in their careers (57 Tests and 103 ODIs)?

• Sachin Tendulkar
    • SPD Smith

6 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

You can't argue with idiots. Leave him and let him rot in misery.

I'm surprised you were even able to understand his gibberish.

giphy.gif

Lol amount of crying you do.. where people say he is average and how modern day batsmens like smith and virat will leave his useless records far behind..

Edited by Rasgulla
25 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

You can't argue with idiots. Leave him and let him rot in misery.

I'm surprised you were even able to understand his gibberish.

Well he gave up himself although he's now desperately trying to have the last word :p:. He did try really hard to avoid the gibberish for a day or so but when he could no longer defend Dhoni he reverted to it.  Still it is a start and I hope this is a learning experience for him. He can do better in the future.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Well he gave up himself although he's now desperately trying to have the last word :p:. He did try really hard to avoid the gibberish for a day or so but when he could no longer defend Dhoni he reverted to it.  Still it is a start and I hope this is a learning experience for him. He can do better in the future.

That's what he usually does. You back him into a corner and make him a cornered donkey, he will change the topic and post something gibberish and you're left wondering geez that was a waste of time. 

58 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Is that why you are quoting your fellow sachin chamcha and trying to slide ? :hysterical: Still didn't answer why sachin chickened out in 07WC.. so you agree that he was never good enough in the format right or you are going to quote him next time to reply ? Instead of me.. Don't know who is trying to get a last word now LOL quoting other trolls who post crap like lunge,bot, jdjdh ududbdb  e.t.c when cornered about his useless innings like 2012.. 

Edited by Rasgulla
47 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

That's what he usually does. You back him into a corner and make him a cornered donkey, he will change the topic and post something gibberish and you're left wondering geez that was a waste of time. 

Don't think you are helping your idol's chamcha here.. He diverted the main topic from smith vs sachin to Dhoni in T20s:hysterical: cornered Donkey is that what you called him..

Smith is already a better player than sachin ever was.. It was decided so

Edited by Rasgulla
14 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

Is that why you are quoting your fellow sachin chamcha and trying to slide ? :hysterical: Still didn't answer why sachin chickened out in 07WC.. so you agree that he was never good enough in the format right or you are going to quote him next time to reply ? Instead of me.. Don't know who is trying to get a last word now LOL quoting other trolls who post crap like lunge,bot, jdjdh ududbdb  e.t.c when cornered about his useless innings like 2012.. 

Not really. Was being kind on you. But I guess we have reached a stage when the pig starts enjoying it :cantstop:.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Not really. Was being kind on you. But I guess we have reached a stage when the pig starts enjoying it :cantstop:.

I Don't know about that but Indian public were kind enough to leave him after innings like that and yep Laaloo is enjoying our drama. Shouldn't say such things though. Be polite:Giggity:

On 11/26/2017 at 7:32 PM, Gollum said:

Welcome back bro, you hardly post here these days.

I am assuming you are talking about test cricket, his impact quotient is more because of his team's bowling unit which generally finishes the job. Still in that regard he hasn't surpassed Lara.

He is undoubtedly the best of the post 2010 era (far far far ahead of Root/Kohli/KW) but considering the bowlers these days and the Aussie pitches he has to show more. Even FTB Kohli and Pakistani batsmen scored in the Aussie pitches, Taylor got 294 in Perth etc etc. I know Smith did very well in India and England but can he sustain his overseas record for at least another 6 years with his weird ass technique? He may well surpass Kallis, Dravid, Ponting, Sanga but Lara-SRT are a whole different level.

Thank you. Have been busy these days.

Apart from averages (overall, home, away, outside Asia, in Asia), I look at 2 factors in a batsman: Effectiveness & Impact.

I define effectiveness as consistency of scoring runs (basically dependability factor which puts the team in a good position to win a test) and impact as the ability to score tough runs in tough situations, play out tougher spells which will help the team win.

Take Pujara vs Kohli in India. Average wise Kohli is not that far behind Pujara but impact & effectiveness wise, he is. Kohli will have an outrageous series and then go missing. While its great that Kohli really makes it count when he scores runs, he also ends up leaving too much for his team mates to do in other situations.

Every tough Asia pitches, it's Pujara who made the runs. Be it 2012 England series, 2013 Australia series, 2015 SL tour (final decider on a green seamer), 2015 SA series, 2017 Aus series....if Pujara (& Vijay) hadn't scored, we would have lost a bunch of tests even with Kohli averaging crazy in Asia. Even in that England series where Kohli was the ultimate Daddy, Pujara and Vijay scored tons of runs too to ensure we were in good position.

Obviously Kohli is the greater test bat but in Asia, he ain't no match for Pujara cos the latter has been amazing in scoring consistently and scoring the tough runs.

As for Smith vs SRT/Lara...obviously he has a LONG LONG way to go.

He needs more longevity for the ATG tag but we can safely assume he will get that tag.

The thing with Smith is apart from England Ashes (where he cashed in on easy conditions and flopped when the going got tough), he always scores the tough runs, scores a LOT of runs and scores consistently. Last game, Smith could have got out for 90 or even 100 and no one would have complained. But if he had got out at that time, he couldn't have stitched the partnership with the lower order to level the scores which created massive pressure for English bats when they came next. That 143* is effectiveness & impact personified. 

In his career uptil now, Smith has been super consistent and ensured he stayed long enough to put his team in dominant positions (and just like Tendulkar, Lara....Aus of today is heavily dependent on Smith & Warner with the latter failing in tough conditions). Yes, Australia has better overall bowlers but we can see how much weights Smith is pulling the weight. He has had series like SRT/Lara where he would score century in one innings and then chip in with good runs in others to average nicely while his team sinks (SL tour, UAE tour)...but he also has had series where he absolutely piles it on (like India tour, SA 2014 tour). At home or in conditions like last Ashes where he got a chance to bully opposition, he piles it on regularly. Against India in Aus 2014, he averaged 128 and against Pakistan in Aus, he averaged 110. It's not like SRT & Lara were scoring this much even on easy series (barring the odd rare ones).

This guy basically piles it on when its easy and grinds it out when its hard. He is just CRAZY.

For the first time post Ponting, I feel SRT/Lara have a real competition. Maybe Smith will fade away (with his technique) but one thing is for sure.....by the time he retires, everyone will agree he was one hell of a crazy batsman.

Edited by sensible-indian

Smith was exposed today. He has poor technique, He can be successfull like MSD in most games and have imppeccable stats/record, But when pitch is assisting seamers/bowlers, He is sitting ducks. All that hand eye, In the game, every ball fidgeting, open stance will look ridiculous.

Its about time to close this discussion now

Thank you. Have been busy these days.

Apart from averages (overall, home, away, outside Asia, in Asia), I look at 2 factors in a batsman: Effectiveness & Impact.

I define effectiveness as consistency of scoring runs (basically dependability factor which puts the team in a good position to win a test) and impact as the ability to score tough runs in tough situations, play out tougher spells which will help the team win.

Take Pujara vs Kohli in India. Average wise Kohli is not that far behind Pujara but impact & effectiveness wise, he is. Kohli will have an outrageous series and then go missing. While its great that Kohli really makes it count when he scores runs, he also ends up leaving too much for his team mates to do in other situations.

Every tough Asia pitches, it's Pujara who made the runs. Be it 2012 England series, 2013 Australia series, 2015 SL tour (final decider on a green seamer), 2015 SA series, 2017 Aus series....if Pujara (& Vijay) hadn't scored, we would have lost a bunch of tests even with Kohli averaging crazy in Asia. Even in that England series where Kohli was the ultimate Daddy, Pujara and Vijay scored tons of runs too to ensure we were in good position.

Obviously Kohli is the greater test bat but in Asia, he ain't no match for Pujara cos the latter has been amazing in scoring consistently and scoring the tough runs.

As for Smith vs SRT/Lara...obviously he has a LONG LONG way to go.

He needs more longevity for the ATG tag but we can safely assume he will get that tag.

The thing with Smith is apart from England Ashes (where he cashed in on easy conditions and flopped when the going got tough), he always scores the tough runs, scores a LOT of runs and scores consistently. Last game, Smith could have got out for 90 or even 100 and no one would have complained. But if he had got out at that time, he couldn't have stitched the partnership with the lower order to level the scores which created massive pressure for English bats when they came next. That 143* is effectiveness & impact personified. 

In his career uptil now, Smith has been super consistent and ensured he stayed long enough to put his team in dominant positions (and just like Tendulkar, Lara....Aus of today is heavily dependent on Smith & Warner with the latter failing in tough conditions). Yes, Australia has better overall bowlers but we can see how much weights Smith is pulling the weight. He has had series like SRT/Lara where he would score century in one innings and then chip in with good runs in others to average nicely while his team sinks (SL tour, UAE tour)...but he also has had series where he absolutely piles it on (like India tour, SA 2014 tour). At home or in conditions like last Ashes where he got a chance to bully opposition, he piles it on regularly. Against India in Aus 2014, he averaged 128 and against Pakistan in Aus, he averaged 110. It's not like SRT & Lara were scoring this much even on easy series (barring the odd rare ones).

This guy basically piles it on when its easy and grinds it out when its hard. He is just CRAZY.

For the first time post Ponting, I feel SRT/Lara have a real competition. Maybe Smith will fade away (with his technique) but one thing is for sure.....by the time he retires, everyone will agree he was one hell of a crazy batsman.
Srt/lara had to face wasim,waqar,mcgrath,(in Sachin case include Walsh,ambrose),pollack,donald,gillispie,murli,warne,saqlain,mushtaq Ahmed,sachin even faced steyn,shoaib,lee kind of pacers on bowler friendly conditions what has Smith faced, broad, Anderson, ashwin,jadeja OK steyn but that's it .

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, mishra said:

MSD in most games and have imppeccable stats/record, But when pitch is assisting seamers/bowlers, He is sitting ducks. All that hand eye, In the game, every ball fidgeting, open stance will look ridiculous.

Is that why MS is the 2nd highest scorer in last England series ? 

Vijay 5 matches 402 

Dhoni 5 matches 349

Rahane 5 matches 299

Smith even scored runs on turners in India.. He is no hack :(( 

12 hours ago, Rasgulla said:

Is that why MS is the 2nd highest scorer in last England series ? 

Vijay 5 matches 402 

Dhoni 5 matches 349

Rahane 5 matches 299

Smith even scored runs on turners in India.. He is no hack :(( 

You may be brilliant statistian but as i said, stats dorsnt matter when you look into batting of a player. So here is a question.

Did you managed to figure out why Root isnt LBW so far in 2nd test. I will help you. With red ball staying hard, its not staying low enogh each time it hits his pad at Adelaide. Next game again, LBW will come into play with Kookabura.

So next time you watch a test match, chk the condition of ball by the time your favourite walks in.

On 12/4/2017 at 3:33 PM, mishra said:

Smith was exposed today. He has poor technique, He can be successfull like MSD in most games and have imppeccable stats/record, But when pitch is assisting seamers/bowlers, He is sitting ducks. All that hand eye, In the game, every ball fidgeting, open stance will look ridiculous.

Its about time to close this discussion now

One poor game and that's it? Yeh kya baat hui? 

Lets give this discussion a few years. 

6 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

One poor game and that's it? Yeh kya baat hui? 

Lets give this discussion a few years. 

Its not about poor game. It looked very ugly. Whole inning. You got to watch that inning to understand what I am saying. Similar to YK dance video published by some media company when Pakistan visited England last time.

Its Smith. So English media houses will resist similar edits. But I take your point. With Smith, its more about runs and stats. Sio thread must go on

Edited by mishra