Tendulkar was uncomfortable facing Curtly Ambrose - Navjot Sidhu

velu

14 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Doubt he was ever express as most people want us to believe. At his fastest he would have been 145ish.

Don't care about the doubts of someone who hardly ever saw Ambrose bowl live,or willing to discard expert opinion out of whim and fanciful nonsense (like gauging how fast a bowler is bowling from tv clips). 

Ambrose was express. And the thing about Ambrose, is that he was 'naturally fast'. Like Holding, Donald, Wasim. It is a hard thing to quantify, because naturally fast bowlers may not be *the* fastest bowler in the team or the world. It simply means 'effortless pace'. 

You could see this in Donald, Ambrose,Lee, Holding- didnt matter if it was the 2nd over or the 8th over of the spell, 2nd over of the innings or the 95 over of the innings, Ambrose, with his smooth action bowled at nearly the same pace all through. 

Contrast that to bowlers who can bowl fast, but are not 'naturally fast' - you can tell when they are 'going for extra speed' - their actions look a bit more hurried (this was McGrath, back in the mid 90s when McGrath was striving to hit 140s kph) and their paces drop due to not bowling within themselves - Akhtar, Waqar, Gillespie- they were fast, some of the fastest actually, but not naturally fast and thus you could see the difference in speeds as their spells got longer and longer. 

He was, at his fastest till about 94/95, when multiple shoulder injuries to his bowling arm reduced his speeds a bit. He became fast-medium from there on, till about 99-2000, when he was a military medium bowler. 

10 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Don't care about the doubts of someone who hardly ever saw Ambrose bowl live,or willing to discard expert opinion out of whim and fanciful nonsense (like gauging how fast a bowler is bowling from tv clips). 

Ambrose was express. And the thing about Ambrose, is that he was 'naturally fast'. Like Holding, Donald, Wasim. It is a hard thing to quantify, because naturally fast bowlers may not be *the* fastest bowler in the team or the world. It simply means 'effortless pace'. 

You could see this in Donald, Ambrose,Lee, Holding- didnt matter if it was the 2nd over or the 8th over of the spell, 2nd over of the innings or the 95 over of the innings, Ambrose, with his smooth action bowled at nearly the same pace all through. 

Contrast that to bowlers who can bowl fast, but are not 'naturally fast' - you can tell when they are 'going for extra speed' - their actions look a bit more hurried (this was McGrath, back in the mid 90s when McGrath was striving to hit 140s kph) and their paces drop due to not bowling within themselves - Akhtar, Waqar, Gillespie- they were fast, some of the fastest actually, but not naturally fast and thus you could see the difference in speeds as their spells got longer and longer. 

He was, at his fastest till about 94/95, when multiple shoulder injuries to his bowling arm reduced his speeds a bit. He became fast-medium from there on, till about 99-2000, when he was a military medium bowler. 

Son, I have observed and studied fast bowlers and speeds for over 25 yrs now. If there's anyone on this forum and the padosi forum who has genuine knowledge of bowlers and their speeds more than me, I would like to talk to them. My bet is, you won't find them. Eddie Smith is my personal friend and we have known each other for over 19 yrs now. Ever since I started my first job in Times of India as an assistant to the editor, and was closely involved with sports section. 

So don't use such language if you don't know about people closely.

13 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Ambrose was express speed until 94/95 and then started slowing down after repeated shoulder injury. 

Either way, telling speed from video is stupid and i have explained that many, many times but i guess optical illusions are real to most people for a reason - trust their eye over science.

what science did you apply to say he was express in 94. FYI, Ambrose is one of all time favorite bowlers, but i am not biased.

Edited by rkt.india
10 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

akhtar was not naturally fast?:giggle: even at his slowest, he was faster than most bowlers around.

4 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Son, I have observed and studied fast bowlers and speeds for over 25 yrs now. If there's anyone on this forum and the padosi forum who has genuine knowledge of bowlers and their speeds more than me, I would like to talk to them. My bet is, you won't find them. Eddie Smith is my personal friend and we have known each other for over 19 yrs now. Ever since I started my first job in Times of India as an assistant to the editor, and was closely involved with sports section. 

So don't use such language if you don't know about people closely.

Too bad that you are scientifically challenged enough to comment on bowling speeds from watching tv clips. Makes all your 'knowledge' questionable nonsense. 

46 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Thanks for the reply.

That's what Ishant averages nowadays, minus Ambrose's guile and skill of course. 

Was peak Srinath quicker than peak Ambrose?

Ps: sorry for slightly derailing your thread @velu

i think both agreed that sachin struglled with ambrose ka medium pace .. imagine what if he was bowling fast :woot: