Not sure if Kohli is a long-term captaincy option - Graeme Smith

40 minutes ago, mishra said:

Drop Bhuvi for Ishant

Drop Rahane for Rohit

Drop Rahul for Dhawan

Drop Umesh/Shami for Bhumrah

Drop Saha for your ego.

Drop Kuldeep for Kumble

You call that unquestionable commitment?

I wouldn't say it is an issue of commitment rather call it inept captaincy, leadership. There are captains who stick with same XI no matter what. There are captains who make the right changes as the series go along. And then there is Kohli who makes it worse by picking worse replacements. He definitely needs to seek advice from someone who disagrees with him without making them worry about their  place in the side. Rightnow nobody will be willing to make bold suggestions to him as they could lose their place in the side. By the time he loses his captaincy to someone else all these truths will come out.

Edited by vvvslaxman
2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

I wouldn't say it is an issue of commitment rather call it inept captaincy, leadership. There are captains who stick with same XI no matter what. There are captains who make the right changes as the series go along. And then there is Kohli who makes it worse by picking worse replacements. He definitely needs to seek advice from someone who disagrees with him without worrying about his place in the side. Rightnow nobody will be willing to make bold suggestions to him as they could lose their place in the side. By the time he loses his captaincy to someone else all these truths will come out.

What is constant in all these changes is he is making room for same few buddies who are from in and around Delhi. And if everyone can see that, why cant himself?

Media is already making noises without putting corruption angle. All it will need is one writer to initiate the corruption angle. That will be end of it. I can assure you, if English loose the first test, English Sports writer will make the references

4 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

I am speaking about your criticism of Graeme Smith but none of Sunil Gavaskar who critizised Kohli too. 

I commented on Smith  because Smith was far better captain than Gavaskar and I really don't care about what Gavaskar says about captaincy as he was one of the most conservative captains.

What more do these people want from Kohli, he is trying to win every test match by playing 5 bowlers, his batting just did not turn. I don't see this loss as some big deal at all.

Gavaskar what was he smoking when he was saying India has very good chance of beating SA in SA before series. For India to beat SA in SA or England in England or Australia in Australia lot of things have to go well including help from weather gods.

1 hour ago, mishra said:

What is constant in all these changes is he is making room for same few buddies who are from in and around Delhi. And if everyone can see that, why cant himself?

Media is already making noises without putting corruption angle. All it will need is one writer to initiate the corruption angle. That will be end of it. I can assure you, if English loose the first test, English Sports writer will make the references

That is utter nonsense, Kohli is the first Indian captain who has kept team on toes with his selection which is very good in my view.

This Indian team is not all versatile and horses for courses is best way for this team. Bringing in Ishant for Bhuvi and  Rahul for Dhawan , or playing Dhawan were not mistakes.I have no idea why people are calling them as some captaincy blunders.

Dhawan was dropped for Rahul what happened,  you can go on till cows come home on selection mistakes but if main core players don't perform no captain is winning matches away from home.

These former players should know better since they played the game but going by comments or Gavaskar and Smith it looks like they are clueless.

Hindsight everyone is an expert but it is captain who has to make calls and live with it, Kohli is done an excellent job in my view.

16 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I commented on Smith  because Smith was far better captain than Gavaskar and I really don't care about what Gavaskar says about captaincy as he was one of the most conservative captains.

What more do these people want from Kohli, he is trying to win every test match by playing 5 bowlers, his batting just did not turn. I don't see this loss as some big deal at all.

Gavaskar what was he smoking when he was saying India has very good chance of beating SA in SA before series. For India to beat SA in SA or England in England or Australia in Australia lot of things have to go well including help from weather gods.

You don't want a test captain of 8 years commenting,  you don't want one of India's greatest players commenting

You tell one of them to "shut your yap and take it someplace else "

Sounds  very much like a Kohli worshipper getting all outraged because someone critiqued his "god"

Yes the weather gods and a captain who gets his selections correct and learns all about man management 

20 minutes ago, putrevus said:

That is utter nonsense, Kohli is the first Indian captain who has kept team on toes with his selection which is very good in my view.

This Indian team is not all versatile and horses for courses is best way for this team. Bringing in Ishant for Bhuvi and  Rahul for Dhawan , or playing Dhawan were not mistakes.I have no idea why people are calling them as some captaincy blunders.

Dhawan was dropped for Rahul what happened,  you can go on till cows come home on selection mistakes but if main core players don't perform no captain is winning matches away from home.

These former players should know better since they played the game but going by comments or Gavaskar and Smith it looks like they are clueless.

Hindsight everyone is an expert but it is captain who has to make calls and live with it, Kohli is done an excellent job in my view.

All batsmen are failing simply because performance is not related to selection. So why do you think any player apart from Dhawan, Rohit Ishant Bhumrah will give 100%?

Problem is , cricket requires 11 players, and Kohli mates are not good enough

PS: I have a feeling that our bowling will fail nxt game

4 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

You don't want a test captain of 8 years commenting,  you don't want one of India's greatest players commenting

You tell one of them to "shut your yap and take it someplace else "

Sounds  very much like a Kohli worshipper getting all outraged because someone critiqued his "god"

Yes the weather gods and a captain who gets his selections correct and learns all about man management 

I am not outraged nor I am a Kohli worshipper.Unless these guys offered any views on where his captaincy is wrong I cannot take them seriously and selection of players which is a right for any captain is not a mistake in my view.The changes which Kohli made were done with best intent and they sometimes don't work out. Can these experts says selecting Rahane would have made difference for sure.

As Shastri said if Rahane was selected and he failed which is quite possible based on what he had done against SL these guys would have asked why was Rohit not selected after all he scored two hundreds in a row.

What I see in Kohli is the best captain who is willing to lose a match in quest for a win which is what i want in any captain. Don't dump other teams and captains past failures on  Kohli's shoulders. Treat this series on its merits and tell me where he has done anything wrong.

7 minutes ago, mishra said:

All batsmen are failing simply because performance is not related to selection. So why do you think any player apart from Dhawan, Rohit Ishant Bhumrah will give 100%?

Problem is , cricket requires 11 players, and Kohli mates are not good enough

PS: I have a feeling that our bowling will fail nxt game

No they are failing because they are not good enough, they simply don't have enough skills to combat SA bowling.

I never said Dhawan Ishant or Bumrah are the only ones giving 100%. What is this Kohli's mates business.

There is no mate here, he is the captain and he has chosen his players from the squad which is against popular opinion.Can you give it it in writing Rahane would have won India the series.

Other than Rahane what is the selection blunders he has committed or what did he do wrong as captain on field.he lost toss both times.

Series is lost because batting was bad , it has got nothing to do with his captaincy.

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Rohit sharma's place should be uncertain instead of Rahane's place. That is where Kohli draws lot of criticism. An year ago Rahane was part of nucleus for years to come. Now he can't find a place in playing XI.  Pandya's inclusion means they have to sacrifice a batsman. Between Rohit and Rahane he went with Rohit.

Rahane is himself too blame for his own downfall, Kohli cant be blamed for his poor batting performances, he got plenty of opportunities in the home season.

2 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

Rahane is himself too blame for his own downfall, Kohli cant be blamed for his poor batting performances, he got plenty of opportunities in the home season.

Spot on it is very easy to say in hindsight , rahane was given all the the chances both in odis and tests to get his form back but he simple could not buy a run.So Kohli giving Rohit a chance is not an outrageous decision.

Edited by putrevus
19 minutes ago, putrevus said:

No they are failing because they are not good enough, they simply don't have enough skills to combat SA bowling.

I never said Dhawan Ishant or Bumrah are the only ones giving 100%. What is this Kohli's mates business.

There is no mate here, he is the captain and he has chosen his players from the squad which is against popular opinion.Can you give it it in writing Rahane would have won India the series.

Other than Rahane what is the selection blunders he has committed or what did he do wrong as captain on field.he lost toss both times.

Series is lost because batting was bad , it has got nothing to do with his captaincy.

If not Delhi boy or mates, Please explain what is selection criteria for Ishant Sharma or Dhawan or Rohit Or Bhumrah?

If it isnt some ego issue wht some players get niggle?

33 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I am not outraged nor I am a Kohli worshipper.Unless these guys offered any views on where his captaincy is wrong I cannot take them seriously and selection of players which is a right for any captain is not a mistake in my view.The changes which Kohli made were done with best intent and they sometimes don't work out. Can these experts says selecting Rahane would have made difference for sure.

As Shastri said if Rahane was selected and he failed which is quite possible based on what he had done against SL these guys would have asked why was Rohit not selected after all he scored two hundreds in a row.

What I see in Kohli is the best captain who is willing to lose a match in quest for a win which is what i want in any captain. Don't dump other teams and captains past failures on  Kohli's shoulders. Treat this series on its merits and tell me where he has done anything wrong.

Did you read it?

They gave their views on where they thought he could improve 

34 different xi's tells a story about selections 

My view on where he went wrong is lack of preparation and not knowing his best xi and back them , let them know .

This lack of trust of ability and in out , in out , shake it all about, won't work overseas

18 minutes ago, mishra said:

If not Delhi boy or mates, Please explain what is selection criteria for Ishant Sharma or Dhawan or Rohit Or Bhumrah?

If it isnt some ego issue wht some players get niggle?

Ishant has better chance of succeeding on flat deck that is why he was selected, Dhawan was scoring runs so he was selected and he was dropped after one test and crowd favorite rahul did worse.

What ego where do you guys get this ego business, Saha was injured so he was out , what do you want from him to do play an injured wicket keeper. His batsmen other than him stink what do you want him do?

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

Ishant has better chance of succeeding on flat deck that is why he was selected, Dhawan was scoring runs so he was selected and he was dropped after one test and crowd favorite rahul did worse.

What ego where do you guys get this ego business, Saha was injured so he was out , what do you want from him to do play an injured wicket keeper. His batsmen other than him stink what do you want him do?

You cant reason dropping Bhuvi for prooven failure Ishant, because Ishant is taller and then expect people to accept that.:adore:

For ego one"what happens in dressing room stays in dressing room"

Ever bothered to ask what injury Saha got?

13 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Did you read it?

They gave their views on where they thought he could improve 

34 different xi's tells a story about selections 

My view on where he went wrong is lack of preparation and not knowing his best xi and back them , let them know .

This lack of trust of ability and in out , in out , shake it all about, won't work overseas

34 xis also says how many injuries he also had to deal with Rahul is injury waiting to happen, not knowing his best xi is not his fault.

Rahane with his atrocious form and Rahul with his injures complicated the issues. If Rahul never got hurt in SL  Dhawan would have never played , Parthiv Patel is also same Saha got injured so he played.

This Indian team is so one dimensional that they need to try different combinations, past team has Tendulkar and Sehwag who could fill fifth bowler and third spinner role.they had Ganguly who could fill in as 4th seamer.

Sehwag, tendulkar, ganguly, Dravid, Bhajji , Kumble, Zak, were multi format players.

In this team only Kohli and Pandya fit the bill. There is why there are so many changes and I don't think they are wrong changes.

India has never won in SA and why is a big crime now all or sudden to lose there with team where many players who are travelling for first time.

1 minute ago, mishra said:

You cant reason dropping Bhuvi for prooven failure Ishant, because Ishant is taller and then expect people to accept that.:adore:

For ego one"what happens in dressing room stays in dressing room"

Ever bothered to ask what injury Saha got?

I don't believe in conspiracy theories, Saha is his own man and he has means to tell the world if he was not injured.

If selection of Ishant in second test was a biggest mistake Kohli made as captain then I would take him as my captain every day.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

34 xis also says how many injuries he also had to deal with Rahul is injury waiting to happen, not knowing his best xi is not his fault.

Rahane with his atrocious form and Rahul with his injures complicated the issues. If Rahul never got hurt in SL  Dhawan would have never played , Parthiv Patel is also same Saha got injured so he played.

This Indian team is so one dimensional that they need to try different combinations, past team has Tendulkar and Sehwag who could fill fifth bowler and third spinner role.they had Ganguly who could fill in as 4th seamer.

Sehwag, tendulkar, ganguly, Dravid, Bhajji , Kumble, Zak, were multi format players.

In this team only Kohli and Pandya fit the bill. There is why there are so many changes and I don't think they are wrong changes.

India has never won in SA and why is a big crime now all or sudden to lose there with team where many players who are travelling for first time.

Multi format?  This is one format.  Test match cricket 

This Indian team are capable of beating this South African team but for whatever reasons they havn't and back to the original top, smith and gavaskar gave some reasons why they thought they hadn't. 

6 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I don't believe in conspiracy theories, Saha is his own man and he has means to tell the world if he was not injured.

If selection of Ishant in second test was a biggest mistake Kohli made as captain then I would take him as my captain every day.

No, After Kumble, no one has balls to oppose him. Remember tripple centurian Karun Nair, He never got any more go because Dhawan Rohit need a place in starting 11.

May be, pople who can advise him have decided him to take lead and see where it all ends up

33 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Multi format?  This is one format.  Test match cricket 

This Indian team are capable of beating this South African team but for whatever reasons they havn't and back to the original top, smith and gavaskar gave some reasons why they thought they hadn't. 

test format also this is a one dimensional team. That is why it has so had so many changes.

how  can you say that this indian team is capable of beating SA in SA when there is one hundred scored by their batsmen and no fifties from any of their top five. Kohli did not stop Vijay, Pujara to score runs nor did he stop rahul to score runs in second test

They are both entitled to their opinion but I feel they are lumping the past Indian teams failures on this team

Edited by putrevus