Most famous cricketer in the world

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

huh? I bet 99% of cricket followers casual+hardcore don't know who he is.....sure Yusuf Pathan is more of a household name than WG Grace....Let us not romanticize firangs .

Sachin is the most famous cricketer ever....followed by Dhoni,Kohli and other Indian superstars. Warne maybe for dating Liz Hurley

If any non Indian knows Sachin, Its simply becaiuse of Aussies. Everyone wants them get beaten when it comes to Sports. Cricket is one of the most popular Sports among white population who are literate enough to  find out where is Australia on map.

Few days back, When someone mentioned Kohli to a Irish Cricket fan and a collegue of ours, He had to google

Edited by mishra
1 minute ago, mishra said:

If any non Indian knows Sachin, Its simply becaiuse of Aussies. Everyone wants them get beaten them when it comes to Sports. Cricket is one of the most popular Sports among white population who can find out where is Australia.

Few days back, When someone mentioned Kohli to a Irish Cricket fan and a collegue of ours, He had to google

Wait a guy follows cricket and doesn't know the highest paid cricketer in the world? I am not a fanboy or this is not my sharapova moment but I find it hard to believe...either the guy is being a jerk or he is lying about being a cricket lover

Edited by maniac
1 minute ago, maniac said:

Wait a guy follows cricket and doesn't know the highest paid cricketer in the world? I am not a fanboy or this is not my sharapova moment but I find it hard to believe...either the guy is being a jerk or he is lying about being a cricket lover

They dont care unless Ireland is playing. Mostly follow football, but watch Ireland play if its on tele. Does that makes sense?

Pay packet means nothing to a lot of population.

PS: How many Irish cricketrs you know apart from Bian Brothers

Edited by mishra
9 minutes ago, mishra said:

They dont care unless Ireland is playing. Mostly follow football, but watch Ireland play if its on tele. Does that makes sense?

Pay packet means nothing to a lot of population.

PS: How many Irish cricketrs you know apart from Bian Brothers

I am not arguing your story is wrong...If I casually watch a sport,at least I would know who the famous name is...I don't follow league soccer except world cups but I know who C.Ronaldo is...don't follow golf but know who Tiger woods/Mickelson are....if they are passionate enough to watch Irish games and understand cricket,I find it hard to believe that they have no clue who Kohli is,sure they may not know his stats etc,but don't you find that a little strange?

Edited by maniac
44 minutes ago, maniac said:

I am not arguing your story is wrong...If I casually watch a sport,at least I would know who the famous name is...I don't follow league soccer except world cups but I know who C.Ronaldo is...don't follow golf but know who Tiger woods/Mickelson are....if they are passionate enough to watch Irish games and understand cricket,I find it hard to believe that they have no clue who Kohli is,sure they may not know his stats etc,but don't you find that a little strange?

Thats the reason why i say, for Sachin to be famous, there was Aussies. David needs Goliath. Kohli hasnt got a Goliath. If anything, Indian team itself is Goliath. A David is needed in some country

Edited by mishra
8 hours ago, maniac said:

huh? I bet 99% of cricket followers casual+hardcore don't know who he is.....sure Yusuf Pathan is more of a household name than WG Grace....Let us not romanticize firangs .

Sachin is the most famous cricketer ever....followed by Dhoni,Kohli and other Indian superstars. Warne maybe for dating Liz Hurley

I meant for his era. In the 19th century a bigger fraction of the world knew about WG than any other cricketer of any other era. 

WG Grace was the most recognizable face of Victorian England which ruled large swathes of the planet. That time other sports weren't well developed, hence leaving the Englishman as the sole sporting hero. In fact it wouldn't be an exaggeration to call him the 1st sporting superstar of the world, during his time he enjoyed more popularity than even Empress Victoria !!!!

I may be wrong but CLR James certainly thinks so. Anyway I spent part of my childhood in a British era industrial township (Burnpur). There were roads, avenues and streets named after all kinds of great people (a very common trend in Bengal, you will also find streets named after legendary Telugu poets and Sangam era Tamil philosophers in some random city/town of the state).... one of the avenues is named WG Grace avenue, bang in between Newton avenue and Keats avenue !! In fact he was the only sportsman after whom something was named, rest were all mathematicians, scientists, poets, writers, philosophers, politicians, freedom fighters, religious figures etc. 

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, Bublu Bhuyan said:

If only Dhoni could manage a Test batting average of at least 40 (in the modern era), he would have been recognized as a descent Test batsman. But I guess that was not supposed to be. A terrific captain and ODI batsman though.

but your point is nothing related to the topic and having more average or better stats doesnt mean more famous or popular 

6 minutes ago, Bublu Bhuyan said:

And your history of posts clearly gives us an idea of how many mature brain cells you have.

ofcourse if sachin chamchagiri is one of the criteria for measuring the maturity of brain cells , probably i dont have any :p:

18 minutes ago, velu said:

ofcourse if sachin chamchagiri is one of the criteria for measuring the maturity of brain cells , probably i dont have any :p:

Another post indicating what I mentioned. Anyone without bias can see whether your posts are to be taken seriously or not.

4 minutes ago, Bublu Bhuyan said:

Another post indicating what I mentioned. Anyone without bias can see whether your posts are to be taken seriously or not.

and ofcourse your views about sachin and his stats are unbiased :laugh: