Virat Kohli is the solution to our vacant #4 spot

Kohli after today's T20 game  ..

We haven't changed much. I dropped to 4, one spot. It allows me to control the middle. To have KL to play freely in the Powerplay knowing there are seniors in the middle, that's the kinf of freedom we want to give these guys. 

23 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Why would you want to move history's best no3 who is in his prime to no4 to accommodate a inexperienced bat. Rahul should open or bat at no4. Kohli stays at no3 in odis.

Screenshot_20180704-013445.png

As you can see, there is a marginal difference in Virat's stats when batting at either 3 or 4.

Playing Rahul at 3 makes the batting line up way more dynamic. He is a game changer without any doubt. There is a genuine upside to having Rahul in the team. 

Screenshot_20180704-013445.thumb.png.0a677db5a03f2f03e82adddf80a2ff9a.png

As you can see, there is a marginal difference in Virat's stats when batting at either 3 or 4.

Playing Rahul at 3 makes the batting line up way more dynamic. He is a game changer without any doubt. There is a genuine upside to having Rahul in the team. 

It is not about Rahul. Kohli should bat at no3 in Odis period .Kohli started as an opener and made himself no3 . Rahul has to make him no4 if he wants to be in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just now, putrevus said:

It is not about Rahul. Kohli should bat at no3 in Odis period .Kohli started as an opener and made himself no3 . Rahul has to make him no4 if he wants to be in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think batting positions should/are set in stone.

The logic behind trying Rahul at 3 is that it will keep the highly productive Dhawan-Rohit opening combo intact while letting Rahul face a relatively new ball if we lose an early wicket. Rahul ideally doesn't bat in the middle order, he's a top order batsman.

Virat performs equally well, whether at 3 or 4, so it's worth a shot to at least to try Rahul at 3. Now is the time to experiment.

batting lineup of  top 7

1 Rohit

2 Dhawan

3 Kohli

4 KL Rahul

5 MSD/Pant/Samson/Ishan Kishan

6 Raina/Krunal Pandya/Washington Sundar

7 Hardik Pandya/Vijay Shankar

8 & 9 Two Spinners

10 Shami(if fit)/Bhuvi

11 Bumrah/Umesh Yadav

is very good if not brilliant

BUMP!
Looks like Captain Kohli is going to go ahead with the idea. 

Virat Kohli happy to play the 'cushion' role as KL Rahul inflates India's ambitions

In his post-match analysis on ESPNcricinfo, VVS Laxman noted that it was a selfless move by Kohli to allow Rahul to play the No. 3 role that the Indian captain had made his own. Kohli, however, pointed out it was actually a strategic move.

And even if might not work all the time, he wanted the youngsters to know that senior players like him and MS Dhoni would be the "cushion" for them to play their role with freedom.

"I am batting 4. I used to bat 3. It allows me to control the innings a bit more, when you have someone as good as KL in the Powerplay, the minute he gets in or after that as well, he just keeps going after the bowlers, knowing that he has senior batsmen behind him.