Poor squad and team selections have cost us the ODI series in England

@putrevusRegarding Rajpoot in IPL, he was one of the best uncapped bowlers in IPL, only uncapped pacer to get a 5-fer in the history of IPL and in one of the games against CSK, his bowling was just top class on a slightly helpful pitch and he was suffering with typhoid during which he came to know later when his fever did not go away as he kept playing IPL taking paracetamol.

And even in this game, check his ER 2.57 after bowling 25 overs. 

Edited by rkt.india
3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Can you say for sure Siraj is better than bowlers who are selected for first three tests. If yes who is the bowler Siraj will replace.

shardul 

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Who in IPL has shown that they are capable of blasting from Ball one and still be consistent.

Rahul - most poorely treated talent

Pant-  hasnt gotten the backing he deserved either 

Krunal - i have a feeling soon he ll get in indian side 

Why would he be afraid of new talent.If he was afraid of new talent he would not playing Bumrah over Ishant and Yadav in SA in test series.People come up with weird conspiracy theories.

he is not afraid but he lacks faith in  youngster that why time n again he goes back to a senior or experienced player

3rd odi he was under pressure the 1st thing he did was choose karthik a senior or Rahul 

Raina, yuvi, bhajji, karthik all selections happened coz he has more faith in seniors. In IPl also his team picked yuvraj when he was at real low....another xample in RCB is he doesnt trust most juniors player thats why they dnt have defined roles and they look confused

Nair was another xample- one series fail.....he just lost confidence in him and he was out of squad 

Worst thing for a youngster is .....when he knws his captain has no faith in him

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Batsmen will have to match England batting. Broad and Anderson are not at the top of their games anymore. Both have struggled with injuries.

I don't think it will happen because our bowling is so inferior to theirs. Another big reason why it won't happen is our batsmen will become tailenders as soon as they see hint of swing or bounce.Have you got any confidence in Vijay, Pujara or Rahul.I would be surprised if they score a hundred in  this series.Rahane will get his one score without doing much but will keep his so called overseas good record intact.Kohli is x factor, I have no idea what is Kohli going to do as Anderson suggested I don't he has changed anything in his technique to combat swing.

Unless our bowlers show up and match Anderson and Broad we have no chance of winning the series.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He can easily replace Shardul in the squad for sure and Siraj is an out and out fast bowler. You should have watched his bowling against WI A on a slow and low bouncy pitch.

But will he crack starting eleven, if he does not crack starting eleven he is better off playing for India A and gain more experience.

Rajpoot  might have done well IPL  but IMO he is not winning you test matches. 

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I don't think it will happen because our bowling is so inferior to theirs. Another big reason why it won't happen is our batsmen will become tailenders as soon as they see hint of swing or bounce.Have you got any confidence in Vijay, Pujara or Rahul.I would be surprised if they score a hundred in  this series.Rahane will get his one score without doing much but will keep his so called overseas good record intact.Kohli is x factor, I have no idea what is Kohli going to do as Anderson suggested I don't he has changed anything in his technique to combat swing.

Unless our bowlers show up and match Anderson and Broad we have no chance of winning the series.

Yes our bowling might be inferior but their batting isnt great either. Cook is hit and miss these days.  Root and Bairstaw are two form batsmen they have.  Regarding what Kohli has to do is bat on off stump and just leave everything outside off stump and force them towards him.

4 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he is not afraid but he lacks faith in  youngster that why time n again he goes back to a senior or experienced player

3rd odi he was under pressure the 1st thing he did was choose karthik a senior or Rahul 

Raina, yuvi, bhajji, karthik all selections happened coz he has more faith in seniors. In IPl also his team picked yuvraj when he was at real low....another xample in RCB is he doesnt trust most juniors player thats why they dnt have defined roles and they look confused

Nair was another xample- one series fail.....he just lost confidence in him and he was out of squad 

Worst thing for a youngster is .....when he knws his captain has no faith in him

Every captain has his views on how his team should look like and that is his right. Raina and co were selected by selectors first , if they didn't get selected to squad then Kohli will not have that option.

IMO other than Rahul that too in third odi,  I have not seen one selection where you can say Kohli was completely wrong.

Why would he be afraid of new talent.If he was afraid of new talent he would not playing Bumrah over Ishant and Yadav in SA in test series.People come up with weird conspiracy theories.

Thats why he is playing KL Rahul in every match.

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Yes our bowling might be inferior but their batting isnt great either. Cook is hit and miss these days.  Root and Bairstaw are two form batsmen they have.  Regarding what Kohli has to do is bat on off stump and just leave everything outside off stump and force them towards him.

They are not great team but our fast bowlers have habit of making mediocre batting look great.Ability to last 5 tests in one month will be a big test.Our fast bowlers are not used to that kind of workload.

I am hoping they get some wickets where spinners play to take burden from them.

12 minutes ago, putrevus said:

But will he crack starting eleven, if he does not crack starting eleven he is better off playing for India A and gain more experience.

Rajpoot  might have done well IPL  but IMO he is not winning you test matches. 

India A games are over. Not many youngsters will win you games from the start but he has the traits to be a good test bowler. He is tall, gets bounce, has good outswinger, decent pace and is accurate more often than not.  I am not expecting he will win us games immediately but we will not know until he play as we have already seen likes of Umesh and Shami who blow hot and cold.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

India A games are over. Not many youngsters will win you games from the start but he has the traits to be a good test bowler. He is tall, gets bounce, has good outswinger, decent pace and is accurate more often than not.  I am not expecting he will win us games immediately but we will not know until he play as we have already seen likes of Umesh and Shami who blow hot and cold.

That is why this selection is not wrong. You cannot select Siraj over Umesh or Shami. Siraj is no given and he is not that express where he will blow people way with his pace.

I cannot blame selectors for not selecting Siraj.Where I blame selection is not selecting young guys like Mavi  who might not play this series but will benefit a lot being around this team.when you are selecting 18 member squad you need to select for future series.

12 minutes ago, putrevus said:

That is why this selection is not wrong. You cannot select Siraj over Umesh or Shami. Siraj is no given and he is not that express where he will blow people way with his pace.

I cannot blame selectors for not selecting Siraj.Where I blame selection is not selecting young guys like Mavi  who might not play this series but will benefit a lot being around this team.when you are selecting 18 member squad you need to select for future series.

i am sure Umesh would have done worse than Siraj if he had played these A games, that is why his non-selection is an issue. Siraj is averaging 20 in FC cricket now and should certainly have been selected ahead of Shardul Thakur.  Mavi is too young to be playing test cricket at the moment and Siraj is at the right age to be picked at 24 and he is as fast as any going around.  He was one of the three quickest Indian bowlers in IPL along with Mavi and Avesh Khan.  These three bowled top speed close to 150KPH in IPL.

PS: That part was about Rajpoot and not Siraj.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

i am sure Umesh would have done worse than Siraj if he had played these A games, that is why his non-selection is an issue. Siraj is averaging 20 in FC cricket now and should certainly have been selected ahead of Shardul Thakur.  Mavi is too young to be playing test cricket at the moment and Siraj is at the right age to be picked at 24 and he is as fast as any going around.  He was one of the three quickest Indian bowlers in IPL along with Mavi and Avesh Khan.  These three bowled top speed close to 150KPH in IPL.

PS: That part was about Rajpoot and not Siraj.

Selectors and this team have invested too much on Umesh Yadav and Shami not to select them when they are healthy. You cannot realistically expect India to go with Ishant and other uncapped bowlers to a series.

Mavi was just an example, ideally I want two young fast bowlers who are year away from selection to be part of this team to gain experience.

4 hours ago, putrevus said:

Doing well against A teams and hoping to replicate that performance against this marauding English lineup is living in denial

"  We are seeing how well those young bowlers are faring against lions. Don’t be under illusion that have great fast bowlers."

This is what you said , to which I just pointed out their good performances against the Lions and in other A team matches.

I did not say that they will be able to replicate the same against this senior English line-up.  You are just changing the goal post here.

4 hours ago, putrevus said:

.I have not seen anything special in Chahar which screams wow.I have not seen Khaleel so can't comment on him.

Rajpoot is not that world beater either, seen him IPL.Bumrah is in different league to them and can you say for sure he is in the league of great fast bowlers I don't know yet.

Why are we cribbing about these bowlers. 

It is not possible to get readymade great players among debutants at international level.  Some above average prospects have to be chosen and given chances in the senior team.  All these prospects won't become top players but some of them will.

Mavi, Khaleel, Prasidh, Nagarkoti, Siraj, Rajpoot and Saini ...  these pacers have the talent and basics to be top international pacers.

Among these Siraj, Rajpoot and Saini are ready for test debut and Khaleel and Rajpoot for ODI debut.  After debut, they will take some time to mature and even then, only some will come good.

For this England test series, if you are looking for a ready and fit rookie fast bowler ... I will choose Siraj based on current form and ability.  He has pace and fitness to bowl over after over.  I expected him to outbowl Shardul Thakur, Ishant and Umesh if he were chosen for this test series.

p.s - I agree that Chahar looks mediocre.

5 hours ago, putrevus said:

Doing well against A teams and hoping to replicate that performance against this marauding English lineup is living in denial.I have not seen anything special in Chahar which screams wow.I have not seen Khaleel so can't comment on him.

Rajpoot is not that world beater either, seen him IPL.Bumrah is in different league to them and can you say for sure he is in the league of great fast bowlers I don't know yet.

Why are we cribbing about these bowlers. 

How is that living in denial ? On what other basis are you supposed to select cricketers on a test tour? That too in England. Someone like Siraj has bowled to Cook in an A game and had taken 7 wickets in these conditions. Shaw and Pant outbatted a senior team member like Vijay in the same conditions. Don't they merit selection based on that?

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

"  We are seeing how well those young bowlers are faring against lions. Don’t be under illusion that have great fast bowlers."

This is what you said , to which I just pointed out their good performances against the Lions and in other A team matches.

I did not say that they will be able to replicate the same against this senior English line-up.  You are just changing the goal post here.

It is not possible to get readymade great players among debutants at international level.  Some above average prospects have to be chosen and given chances in the senior team.  All these prospects won't become top players but some of them will.

Mavi, Khaleel, Prasidh, Nagarkoti, Siraj, Rajpoot and Saini ...  these pacers have the talent and basics to be top international pacers.

Among these Siraj, Rajpoot and Saini are ready for test debut and Khaleel and Rajpoot for ODI debut.  After debut, they will take some time to mature and even then, only some will come good.

For this England test series, if you are looking for a ready and fit rookie fast bowler ... I will choose Siraj based on current form and ability.  He has pace and fitness to bowl over after over.  I expected him to outbowl Shardul Thakur, Ishant and Umesh if he were chosen for this test series.

p.s - I agree that Chahar looks mediocre.

Question is not about if these prospects become good to great down the line. Yes I understand they won't become good unless they are given chances but none of scream select me over the bowlers who have been selected.

Ishant, Yadav and Shami along with Bumrah and Bhuvi will be the main core of  fast bowlers who will be there at least till next world cup and if they are selected you cannot blame selectors.

Sorry if I am selector I am not selecting Siraj, Rajpoot or Saini in my playing eleven over above bowlers until those five bowlers are totally out of picture for selection.

If you have any express bowler like Mavi who needs little refinement I would induct them into squad right now to get experience.

IMO unless a fast bowler has raw pace they need some weapons to consistently get batsmen out on any surface.I don't think Saini and co are that kind.

Shardul I agree might should not have found a place but he has been part of this setup so maybe you give a pass.

Edited by putrevus