Back in a ‘good space’, Yuvraj Singh eyes 2019 ICC World Cup participation

"When you win the World Cup, when you are Player of the Tournament, you are on top of the mountain. Suddenly, you fall in the ditch. It's just life, you don't expect that -- you are left with no choice. I had to bounce back and I did it in what I thought was the best way I could."

"I wanted to prove a point, that I could come back and play for India. That was my biggest motivation. I wanted to prove that point to myself, as much as to anyone else. Everybody said you can't, and I said I can. It was mind over matter. I had some good games, some bad games, I was in and out of the team.

"But I still managed to play a lot of cricket after that - I played a couple of T20 World Cups and a bit of one-day cricket when everybody said that it won't be possible. That's the biggest joy in life, when people say it is not possible and you can make it possible. People thought that my career was over after cancer, and I came back and registered my highest one-day score. That was only self-belief, nothing else."

"I didn't have a good domestic season last year, I had a bad IPL. I took a break and I thought that if I am looking to play another year or two years, I want to go playing this game happily because this game has given me everything.

"So I went to England for five weeks to a training camp this summer, I worked hard on my fitness. I was in Cirencester, at a habitat centre. I worked with a trainer called James, a former Marine, for five weeks. And when I got back home, I had another three weeks on my own; I had eight weeks of fitness before I started the season. I didn't have too much good (batting) practice before coming here, I just played one practice game against Madhya Pradesh. But I just felt mentally very good.

"I felt that I was fitter, I was stronger compared to last year, when I was not in a good mental space. The key for me has always been to be in a good mental space, that's when I have played good cricket. I have just focussed on being in a good space and obviously, the results showed. I have been hitting the ball really well and scored a few consistent scores. Let's see what happens now."

SACHIN TENDULKAR'S ADVICE TO YUVRAJ SINGH

"I was speaking to Sachin (Tendulkar), who has always been my mentor, and he asked me, 'Why do we play the game? Just for the love of the game. Yes, we do want to play for India, but also, the game has given us everything'. I just want to enjoy the game, to appreciate that it has given me everything; I respect the game. I have cleared my fitness (yo-yo) test, I have bowled, I have got runs. I have done almost everything that is in my control.

"As I said, selection is not in my control. I am sure everyone is looking at the youngsters for building the team for this World Cup and the next World Cup. It's up to the selectors and the coach/captain to decide, it is entirely their call. I just want to play whatever cricket I get to play till 2019, and then take a call."