Indian captains

In ODI’s its Dhoni till 2011.

Captain’s role is not only to captain but also to lead from the front and score runs or take wickets for your team and Dhoni did that pretty well. He was averaging crazy in ODI’s and apart from Kohli he was our wall in the odi cricket which was hard to break, that with the captaincy burden, I would say takes him to number 1 Indian ODI captain till date.

Test Matches - Kohli and Dravid for me. I wanted to see more of Dravid but whole 2007 world cup  debacle made him a scapegoat I feel. He could have been excellent long term test captain and probably could have lead India for another 2-3 years in tests. Eventually Kohli will be our best ever test captain now, without any doubt. He is the one you need if you want to win away from home.

for me it has to be Kapil Dev.He is the best

He had it all in at least a few quantities - leading from the front,man management skills,tactics etc etc. And he belonged to a very amateurish set up which was reflected in  the team being very weak especially bowling wise.He didn't have much control in selection matters either, means he had to be satisfied with the team  provided to him  more often than not.  And those were the times  with very less technology and media coverage in which  the general affairs w.r.t running the game was not at all  transparent to the game loving public. It was against this set up that he achieved some great results like 83 world cup, ENG 86 series win, 86 drawn series in AUS(only bad luck denied him in  being the first captain to win a series in AUS) & a 0-2 respectable  defeat in WI(where he emphatically lead from the front with perhaps the best  all round performance in a series of all time).

10 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

for me it has to be Kapil Dev.He is the best

He had it all in at least a few quantities - leading from the front,man management skills,tactics etc etc. And he belonged to a very amateurish set up which was reflected in  the team being very weak especially bowling wise.He didn't have much control in selection matters either, means he had to be satisfied with the team  provided to him  more often than not.  And those were the times  with very less technology and media coverage in which  the general affairs w.r.t running the game was not at all  transparent to the game loving public. It was against this set up that he achieved some great results like 83 world cup, ENG 86 series win, 86 drawn series in AUS(only bad luck denied him in  being the first captain to win a series in AUS) & a 0-2 respectable  defeat in WI(where he emphatically lead from the front with perhaps the best  all round performance in a series of all time).

Agree... Kapil Dev was advanced for his time. A simpleton achieved much more than envisaged by the fans

Only blemish on Kapil was his inability to groom pacers