Your unpopular opinion thread

Stradlater

Geeta despite being a religious scripture is actually quite a decent book to read if we keep aside our biases. Some great advices and life lessons in that one.

Entertainment wise though this is my list of religious scriptures:

Puranas>>Bible(Old testament)>Bible(New testament)>Quran

Puranas have the best stories imo. Also I love Yahweh of Old testament. Such an amusing, impulsive fella just like my grandfather. 

Quran is very boring and brings nothing new story wise.

16 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Coffee tea doesn’t wake you up as much as people pretend it does. Try ice cold ice cream if you realy want to stay awake or power yourself up. I tried this 6 years working random shift and staying awake during emergency ATC calls. Nothing better than something cold.

I love Ice Creams is another story. 

Been awake straight for around 30 hours now. Had coffee every other hour to help me get through it.

So yes it does help.

There is something wrong about tap water in US. I live on a very restricted diet and physically active, but I gain weight very easily here for no reason. I went back to India last year during break, and I naturally lost 4 kilos inside 2 weeks without being active at all.

The water in India suits me more than tap water in US.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:26 PM, Stradlater said:

Geeta despite being a religious scripture is actually quite a decent book to read if we keep aside our biases. Some great advices and life lessons in that one.

Entertainment wise though this is my list of religious scriptures:

Puranas>>Bible(Old testament)>Bible(New testament)>Quran

Puranas have the best stories imo. Also I love Yahweh of Old testament. Such an amusing, impulsive fella just like my grandfather. 

Quran is very boring and brings nothing new story wise.

This is an interesting line of thought. If one were to view at the holy books from a purely philosophical frame of reference, the Upanishads are by far the most interesting of all the religious books.

The Puranas are supposed to have the best stories/short stories. They are a collection of stories after all. The other canonical literature that you mention double up as How to live your life according to xyz for noobs coupled with a few stories. A fair comparison for the Puranas would be to an assorted collection from the Greek/Norse mythology.

16 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

This is an interesting line of thought. If one were to view at the holy books from a purely philosophical frame of reference, the Upanishads are by far the most interesting of all the religious books.

The Puranas are supposed to have the best stories/short stories. They are a collection of stories after all. The other canonical literature that you mention double up as How to live your life according to xyz for noobs coupled with a few stories. A fair comparison for the Puranas would be to an assorted collection from the Greek/Norse mythology.

You are right. Unfortunately though I haven't read Upanishads or Vedas yet so can't really comment on that but I used to love reading Puranas and the two epics and they were super fun.

I did read the English translation of Quran and I take your point that it's more in the mould of philosophy and rule book of sorts.

But I love Old Testament. Mighty amusing and fun.

Does it kill Indian men to apply deodorant and maintain personal hygiene? Not even getting to the disgusting habits in public or grooming.

Doesn't apply to everybody but have to say most Indians do stink, body odor as well as mouth. I have to breath through my mouth half the time I talk to colleagues or when I am in close range, one of them has such poor oral hygiene that it smells like poop. And good luck sitting with them in some confined work place. Some are proud to admit that they take bath once a week :puke:

Women are better than men obviously but there are exceptions. Goras often make fun of Indians about our smell, and have to agree. Perhaps some of our countrymen continue with their mannerisms in phoren land giving credence to the stereotype. It is often overblown, but that is a common theme affecting all stereotypes. 

20 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Does it kill Indian men to apply deodorant and maintain personal hygiene? Not even getting to the disgusting habits in public or grooming.

Doesn't apply to everybody but have to say most Indians do stink, body odor as well as mouth. I have to breath through my mouth half the time I talk to colleagues or when I am in close range, one of them has such poor oral hygiene that it smells like poop. And good luck sitting with them in some confined work place. Some are proud to admit that they take bath once a week :puke:

Women are better than men obviously but there are exceptions. Goras often make fun of Indians about our smell, and have to agree. Perhaps some of our countrymen continue with their mannerisms in phoren land giving credence to the stereotype. It is often overblown, but that is a common theme affecting all stereotypes. 

Ha! reminds me of a funny incident I had yesterday. So I ran out of my face wash supplies and went to get some from a nearby store. The owner who was a Punjabi declined saying that they don't sell such stuff anymore. Naturally I was surprised and asked him the reason. 

He said earlier the area was populated by students from North East and such products were in a demand a lot but in last couple of years most of them moved out to live in a nearby area and were replaced by students from the other states (the usual culprits). As per Uncleji , those SOBs won't even buy a deodorant even in friggin sweaty summers. To quote him he had to use about 10,000 bucks worth of deo at his home lest they expired since nobody was willing to purchase them.

Yes we are in general pretty *ing disgusting.

3 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Also why can't girls shave their arms ffs.

I know I sound really douche here but come one hairy arms are such a big turn off.

Just the arms? I have seen some women with hair above the lips, grosses me out :((. Again don't want to sound mean but this hairy stuff is more common in South than Bengal/North and the latter has plenty of such examples. 

South Asians aren't genetically gifted to excel in combat sports, practically every ethnicity in the world apart from African pygmies have better gene stocks than us to shine in these sports. And I say this despite India's recent successes in wrestling, boxing....if you follow the disciplines closely you will realize that we have no global standing. Effing South East Asians are better than us, not to forget the 3rd world countries in South America and Africa. 

And it isn't because we aren't trying hard enough, there are scientific reasons. We can do well in many other physical sports, just not the combat kind. 

By usual Indian standards North East people are very good looking, also physically very fit on an average. And the girls are bombshells :love:. And they age gracefully, as opposed to the Punjabis for instance. I can't figure out how they haven't taken the film industries by storm. 

Edited by Gollum

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Just the arms? I have seen some women with hair above the lips, grosses me out :((. Again don't want to sound mean but this hairy stuff is more common in South than Bengal/North and the latter has plenty of such examples. 

Yes I didn't wanna come across as rude but I had southie chicks in my mind.

Some of them are really attractive esp those Tamil Iyenger ones but would it kill them to visit a parlor once in a while.

I really  wanna date a hot Tamilian who I have had my eyes on for a long time. It doesn't help either that they are really really conservative and uptight and ****.

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

North East people are very good looking, also physically very fit on an average. And the girls are bombshells :love:. And they age gracefully, as opposed to the Punjabis for instance. I can't figure out how they haven't taken the film industries by storm. 

Dude tell me about it!!

NE hotties are the best thing to happen to humanity and Dilli. IMO Manipuris are the best. They look so...cool.

21 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Yes I didn't wanna come across as rude but I had southie chicks in my mind.

Some of them are really attractive esp those Tamil Iyenger ones but would it kill them to visit a parlor once in a while.

I really  wanna date a hot Tamilian who I have had my eyes on for a long time. It doesn't help either that they are really really conservative and uptight and ****.

On an average Southie chicks are below par. But their peak beauty is a sight to behold. Mangaloreans and some Mallus are lovely but can't match peak Tamil Brahmin beauty. On an average Iyengars and Iyers are not just blessed with the brains but also some of the most beautiful women you can find in India. My biggest crush in college was one such girl but no luck. 

You give it a try bro. Without knowing them well, how would you know whether they are conservative, uptight or chill? You're a Rajasthani hunk, from the looks department you must be comfortably above the average Tamil male and you got the brains and sense of humor. Give it a shot and keep us informed :--D.

From what I have seen the Brahmin girls of TN are open to dating/marrying outsiders. Even my mom falls in that category, though she is from Palakkad (Kerala) and shifted permanently to Delhi at a very young age....so a different upbringing. My dad is a Northie with roots in Bhopal and I see no problems in their marital life. My mom is more modern/cool than dad and is much more proficient in Hindi and Bengali :phehe:. This is just an example, I have seen other cases of Tambrahm girls date/marry outsiders in college, work, friends circle etc. 

Edited by Gollum