BCCI ombudsman serves notices to Tendulkar, Laxman !!!

velu

Till date COA has not explained our role: angry VVS Laxman writes to Ombudsman

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/till-date-coa-has-not-explained-our-role-angry-vvs-laxman-writes-to-ombudsman/story-5al7MBeBbWAWc8IKm4JDbI.html

Livid with the conflict of interest allegation against him, former India batsman VVS Laxman has lambasted the Committee of Administrators’ handling of the Cricket Advisory Committee, alleging complete lack of communication from the Vinod Rai-led panel.

Laxman said the COA has been using the CAC only for selection of senior national coaches despite promising a broader role earlier.

Not known to be the most aggressive off the field, the stylish Hyderabadi, in his official response to Ombudsman-cum-Ethics-Officer, gave a rather aggressive rebuttal on the allegations of ‘Conflict of Interest’ while concluding that he is ready to “recuse” if found conflicted.

“On December 7, 2018, we had written to the the Committee of Administrators requesting them to clarify the scope of our role and responsibilities. To this date, there has been no reply. Since no tenure had been mentioned in the letter of intent issued in 2015, it was only reasonable to expect some communication on whether the CAC was still in existence. Unfortunately that hasn’t been forthcoming,” Laxman wrote in his affidavit filed through his lawyer.

Laxman, along with Tendulkar, replied to notices served by Ombudsman on complaint of Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association (MPCA) life member Sanjeev Gupta for performing dual role as mentors (Sunrisers in Laxman’s case) and CAC members.

“It will be worthwhile to note that the reason I agreed to be a member was because of the various inputs we were originally tasked with contributing towards the sustained growth of Indian cricket,” he wrote in his reply.

“The opportunity to be involved meaningfully in India’s climb towards becoming a cricketing superpower post retirement was privilege enough for me to turn down the offer of remuneration of being a part of CAC,” Laxman said in his affidavit, point 3 (c).

“The allegation of the complainant are baseless as we are in no manner selectors of either players or coaches and CAC is not a permanent body,” he wrote.

The pertinent points were 3 (d) and (e) where he criticised the COA, insisting that the body was never really forthcoming on the scope and role of CAC.

Laxman said the roles of the CAC as told to him in 2015 included focussing on improving performances of the national team overseas, creating a pathway to track a young cricketer’s career from U-19 to India A to the international team, ODIs and Test cricket for the country’s top players, managing workload for fast bowlers, means to improve the quality of Indian spinners, and education and life-skills for young cricketers.

Laxman said no such input was ever sought by the BCCI.

“None of the CAC members has (sic) been called on to give our opinion on any subjects except to be invited to be involved in the selection of national coaches and, once, the selection of junior national selectors. However, this is by no means a regular process and I am in no manner to be considered a selector.” Laxman also claimed that the COA did not even give the three-member committee -- the third member being Sourav Ganguly -- enough time to confirm availability to select the women’s head coach.

“In December 2018, we were given a little over 24 hours to confirm our availability to be on the panel to select the India women’s head coach. All three of us expressed our inability to participate in the process due to short notice and prior commitments,” Laxman said.

An ad-hoc committee, comprising Kapil Dev, Shantha Rangaswamy and Anshuman Gaekwad selected WV Raman as the head coach. Laxman urged the Ombudsman to view the “Conflict of Interest clause from the perspective of whether in the performance of my duties as a CAC member, I am being influenced by external factors. It is my respectful submission that when I am barely required to discharge any duties as a member of the CAC, which I wasn’t even sure existed due to the lack of communication until I received this notice, questions of any conflict of interest doesn’t arise,” wrote the veteran of 134 Tests and 8781 runs.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:50 AM, Turning_track said:

In the past it happened with Dravid, Shastri. This year Ganguly, Sachin & VVS- correct me if I'm wrong but are these former giants so naive that they don't understand the meaning of conflict of interest? Already they're associated with BCCI in various capacities & along with that with different IPL teams too. 

Dravid is cut from a different cloth. Don't place him in the league of fakers like bewda, very berry suck up and fake gods.

Sachin and VVS are one thing...this Ganguly guy is on another level - who some here claims to be "classy" is the chief of the cricket association of Bengal. 

He has relaid the Eden Gardens pitch, made sure it isn't a spin friendly track like Chepauk. KKR with it's spinners don't have the spin advantage nor the home advantage now.

Now he's with Delhi Capitals as a "coach" :giggle:

Another honorary position, eh?

@Gollum  @rkt.india @vvslaxman @beetle

12 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

Sachin and VVS are one thing...this Ganguly guy is on another level - who some here claims to be "classy" is the chief of the cricket association of Bengal. 

He has relaid the Eden Gardens pitch, made sure it isn't a spin friendly track like Chepauk. KKR with it's spinners don't have the spin advantage nor the home advantage now.

Now he's with Delhi Capitals as a "coach" :giggle:

Another honorary position, eh?

@Gollum  @rkt.india @vvslaxman @beetle

Eden pitch was relaid 3-4 years ago and it has nothing to do with IPL and he isn't a coach. Coach is Ponting. He is mentor like SRT.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:06 PM, The Dark Horse said:

Let's just say Sachin isn't Harichandra :giggle:

What if he is? I will believe his words. Even laxman, dravid, Ganguly. I will believe their words in these matters.

Edited by rkt.india

And as laxman said, CAC has no defined roles. neither they are selecting players nor they are selectors. They didn't even have any remuneration as CAC members. So how it becomes conflict of interest? CAC is as good as dead.

28 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Eden pitch was relaid 3-4 years ago and it has nothing to do with IPL and he isn't a coach. Coach is Ponting. He is mentor like SRT.

He is in a position of influence in the DC team, whereas he makes decisions in Bengal board. If this doesn't look like conflict of interest, nothing will. As you say pitch may have been laid 3 years back..but till last year it was conducive to spinners..Do you deny that he has the capacity to influence the curators?

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

What if he is? I will believe his words. Even laxman, dravid, Ganguly. I will believe their words in these matters.

May be Laxman, Sachin Dravid - but I will never trust Ganguly...he met his match in Dhoni :giggle:

Edit: As soon as something like this cropped up, Dravid resigned from being Delhi's mentor - as he was also the under-19 coach.

These guys are not kids..they have a reputation to protect. If they don't look out for these things then they should be ready to take criticism as well. Ignorance is not bliss.

Edited by The Dark Horse

3 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

May be Laxman, Sachin Dravid - but I will never trust Ganguly...he met his match in Dhoni :giggle:

Apart from Dravid, I don't trust anyone. If he knew he was at conflict of interest, he would make sure that never happens again. Some bowler had this quote about Dravid that its hard to get Dravid beaten twice consecutively. That says a lot about his thinking about his game. I would wager that he would also do this when it comes to off-field affairs as well.

1 hour ago, The Dark Horse said:

He is in a position of influence in the DC team, whereas he makes decisions in Bengal board. If this doesn't look like conflict of interest, nothing will. As you say pitch may have been laid 3 years back..but till last year it was conducive to spinners..Do you deny that he has the capacity to influence the curators?

how it is conflict of interest? what has DC to do with Bengal? Can he select DC player for Bengal?  There is no Bengali player in DC.  Eden pitch was like this before IPL too.  Pitches are not made or can be changed overnight for better.  Yes, you can rough them up overnight for spinners but you cannot make them flat overnight.  If that was case, it would have already happened in Chennai after Dhoni had criticized the pitch.

Edited by rkt.india

22 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

Edit: As soon as something like this cropped up, Dravid resigned from being Delhi's mentor - as he was also the under-19 coach.

These guys are not kids..they have a reputation to protect. If they don't look out for these things then they should be ready to take criticism as well. Ignorance is not bliss.

But Dravid is getting 7 cr being an India U19 coach.  These guys are getting nothing by being CAC members.

Edited by rkt.india

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

how it is conflict of interest? what has DC to do with Bengal? Can he select DC player for Bengal?  There is no Bengali player in DC.  Eden pitch was like this before IPL too.  Pitches are not made or can be changed overnight for better.  Yes, you can rough them up overnight for spinners but you cannot make them flat overnight.  If that was case, it would have already happened in Chennai after Dhoni had criticized the pitch.

What good is home advantage if you can't have a say on the pitch..You cannot deny that it's a factor..he can simply keep a lot of grass and play pacers instead of spinners for his team..given the dew factor it's even more difficult for spinners. As Bengal's secretary, and also because of his relationships - curators are bound to listen to him than, say KKR management.

Dhoni criticising the Chennai pitch is something different. For all you know he might have ordered for exactly that kind of a pitch but publicly criticises the same to avoid doubts. Honestly even if he did, noone can do anything. It is this kind of advantage which KKR possibly missed. You can't categorically deny that it's impossible?