Which was the best innings ever in the history of the world cup?

Which was the best innings ever in the history of the world cup?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best innings ever in the history of the world cup?

• Sachin Tendulkar 98 v Pakistan in 2003
    • Kapil Dev 175 v Zimbabwe in 1983
    • Viv Richards 181 v Sri Lanka in 1987
    • Brian Lara 111 v South Africa in 1996
    • Cllive Lloyd 102 v Australia in 1975
    • Adam Gilchrist 149 v Sri Lanka in 2007 final
    • Ricky Ponting 140 in 2003 final
    • Inzamam Ul Haq 60 in 1992 semi-final
    • Zaheer Abbas 93 v West Indies in 1979 semi-final
    • Alvin Kalicharan 78 v Australia in 1975
    • Aravinda De Silva 107 in 1996 final
    • Aravinda De Silva 66 v India in 1996 semi-final
    • Steve Waugh 120 n.o.v South Africa in 1999
    • Virendra Sehwag 48 in 2011 v Pakistan
    • Mahenra Singh Dhoni 100 n.o in 2011 final
    • Mohinder Amarnath 80 v West Indies in 1983
    • Viv Richards 138 n.o in 1979 final
    • Collis King 86 in 1979 final
    • Krishnamachari Shrikanth 38 in 1983 world cup final
    • Gundappa Vishwanath 75 v West Indies in 1979

43 minutes ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Absolutely agree brilliant analysis on Aravinda I too thought his 66 was a masterpiece and better than his century in the final.

almost all the inns you  specified in the OP  are master pieces in the sense that  with out those particular inns   their teams would most probably have lost the matches. but when selecting 'the best among the best' all the things come into play.

That is where Kapil's inns towers all  other inns in the list.

How has top scorer of 1983 final missed a spot in the poll? 70% knocks in OP's poll came in inconsequential matches, Viru's 2011 semi knock is there but not Kris' knock against Roberts/Holding/Garner/Marshall on an overcast day played on a damp pitch? Not to forget the aura of that WI team coming to the final, similar to Aus 2007 but with a much better bowling unit. 

Edited by Gollum
20 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he was not in gr8 form but to turn up and take the risk of using the ball in the hand 

Agreed , my favorite too. What a way to kill the game in the 1st innings itself, it's sad Ind cricket never produced such clutch cricketers who upped their game on the big stage :((

11 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Agreed , my favorite too. What a way to kill the game in the 1st innings itself, it's sad Ind cricket never produced such clutch cricketers who upped their game on the big stage :((

Gambo was pretty clutch in the 2007 and 2011 finals. If you go further back in time Srikkanth trumped Imran's XI in the B&H final chasing a tricky total (Shastri was killing us in that run chase :facepalm:)...2 years earlier he had also top scored in the WC final.  

Edited by Gollum
14 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

actually gambo, yuvi, dhawan did up their game in WCs

kohli ups his game in t20 wcs

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

How has top scorer of 1983 final missed a spot in the poll? 70% knocks in OP's poll came in inconsequential matches, Viru's 2011 semi knock is there but not Kris' knock against Roberts/Holding/Garner/Marshall on an overcast day played on a damp pitch? Not to forget the aura of that WI team coming to the final, similar to Aus 2007 but with a much better bowling unit. 

A great knock,no doubt.Fantastic strokes executed on fast wicket against best pace attack ever.However not as impactful as the knock s of Inzamam,Waugh or Aravinda.

Just now, Harsh Thakor said:

What about Inzamam's 60 in 1992-not a classic that turned the game?

Top 5 sure. Only reason it isn't top 2 is because of the halwa bowling, same reason why I didn't put Kapil's 175* at top. 

Aravinda's ton came against a mentally tough Aus unit, against McGrath/Warne both ATGs who used to raise their games up a notch in big matches. Waugh's 120 against Donald/Pollock. 

3 minutes ago, Harsh Thakor said:

A great knock,no doubt.Fantastic strokes executed on fast wicket against best pace attack ever.However not as impactful as the knock s of Inzamam,Waugh or Aravinda.

Doesn't even warrant a poll option? Plenty of knocks in your poll which lacked impact...KS' 38 came in a WC final against a monster side. 

26 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Top 5 sure. Only reason it isn't top 2 is because of the halwa bowling, same reason why I didn't put Kapil's 175* at top. 

Aravinda's ton came against a mentally tough Aus unit, against McGrath/Warne both ATGs who used to raise their games up a notch in big matches. Waugh's 120 against Donald/Pollock. 

Very valid point sir.Still dazzling strokes and scored in arguably more difficult circumstances.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Gambo was pretty clutch in the 2007 and 2011 finals. If you go further back in time Srikkanth trumped Imran's XI in the B&H final chasing a tricky total (Shastri was killing us in that run chase :facepalm:)...2 years earlier he had also top scored in the WC final.  

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

actually gambo, yuvi, dhawan did up their game in WCs

kohli ups his game in t20 wcs

Don't think any of the Indian players you mentioned (bar Gauti) can match the clutchness of these Aus greats on the big day. 

@Gollum Srikanth is a good one but he was way before my time, so can't comment. My memories of Indian legends on big days I witnessed live is a big fail unfortunately

Kapil and Sachin are my top two. It is hard to judge Kapil because there is no footage, but the wicket as seaming and he came in 7 for 5. But the bowling was Zimbabwe. Sachin's knock basically knocked the Humdullah out of Pakistan and a superior bowling attack, but on a more batting friendly pitch. I voted for Sach.

I haven't watched many matches before 2000.So,can't comment on those.

Other innings not in this list:

1)Sehwag's knock in 2003 final while chasing a steep target.

2)Mccullum's 59(26) in 2015 SF vs SA. 77(25) vs Eng.50(24) vs Aus in a low scoring thriller.

3)Kevin O Brien's 113 vs Eng in 2011 while chasing 327 when they were down 4 wickets around 100.

4)Symonds 143(125) vs Pak in 2003 after losing 4 early wickets.

5)John Davison of Canada 111(76) vs WI in 2003.Decent hitting.

6)ABDV 162(66) vs WI in 2015.

7)Guptill 237(163) vs WI in 2015.

8)Brendan Taylor(Zim) 138(110) vs India in 2015 after losing 3 early wickets for 30.