Mayank to replace Vijay Shankar

4 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Absolute garbage comments.

Mayank opened the batting on Boxing Day in Melbourne, Australia which is biggest calendar day of Test Cricket world wide and the most intimidating place for any sub continental batsmen.

He batted like he had played all tour, with confidence and bravado.

He is the perfect choice and replacement opener for India given their template of keeping wickets in hand in the first 10 overs.

He is the perfect choice.. no point denying it... But what good bcci is doing to Agarwal by throwing him in lion den.. playing an inexperienced player who hasn't yet made his odi debut in midst of batting crisis.. as i have stated earlier if we are forced to name Agarwal in playing 11 then for the good of humanity our world cup campaign is already phucked!!! If rahul continue to fail which is seems like a norm now.. nd if Agarwal plays his debut game in a worldcup knockout.. then god forbids.. if he fails.. what toll it will take on his limited over career??? The perfect time for blooding in Agarwals, shaws, iyers, gills was before worldcup.. u cannot expect a debutante to come in nd set the stage on fire in cricket's biggest sporting event with a pressure of a billion people on his shoulders..

1 hour ago, Amit228 said:

Hope his batting isn't required...no disrespect to his talent.. he is an excellent aggressive batsman not a bottler like rahul however if the need of Agrawal playing his debut match in a worldcup game arises then rest assured my freind we are phucked!!!

He is in supreme form..if he gets to bat ..

No one can stop him from scoring big runs.

Understand cricket is a touch game and someone who is middling well is bound to succeed.

Normally all openers always get a lot of opportunity to bat.i am 100 percent sure of him doing well if he gets his chance to bat.

52 minutes ago, Amit228 said:

He is the perfect choice.. no point denying it... But what good bcci is doing to Agarwal by throwing him in lion den.. playing an inexperienced player who hasn't yet made his odi debut in midst of batting crisis.. as i have stated earlier if we are forced to name Agarwal in playing 11 then for the good of humanity our world cup campaign is already phucked!!! If rahul continue to fail which is seems like a norm now.. nd if Agarwal plays his debut game in a worldcup knockout.. then god forbids.. if he fails.. what toll it will take on his limited over career??? The perfect time for blooding in Agarwals, shaws, iyers, gills was before worldcup.. u cannot expect a debutante to come in nd set the stage on fire in cricket's biggest sporting event with a pressure of a billion people on his shoulders..

He is facing subcontinental bowlers and he will do fine. He gets couple of matches under his belt and he will do the job that needs to be done, that is hold his wicket and tick the scoreboard over.

KL is a walking wicket v England/NZ/Australia. KL may get a century and even a big one against Banga and SL it will mean nothing as he cant do it against the top countries.

Mayank has the skills and temperament to withstand the SENA bowlers and hold up an end. We dont need him to win the match, we need him to hold one end up and move the scoreboard along.

The kid would love and relish the opportunity, if he fails he fails. His failure wont be a reflection on him but of the selection committee for not having him in the squad earlier.

8 hours ago, wanted_desi said:

Hope they put him in opening slot, and ask him to be the aggressive. They need that firepower in that slot which is not given by Rohit/KLR.

Well no one know what plan the stupid TM came up with, but if I were a betting man I'd guess they wanted conservative openers! Especially seeing how Kohli has defended Dhoni over the last several years! Now if they wanted both openers to go slow & Kohli to preserve his wicket till the last few overs then I wish we don't make the semis, because frankly we don't deserve it :no:

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

Well no one know what plan the stupid TM came up with, but if I were a betting man I'd guess they wanted conservative openers! Especially seeing how Kohli has defended Dhoni over the last several years! Now if they wanted both openers to go slow & Kohli to preserve his wicket till the last few overs then I wish we don't make the semis, because frankly we don't deserve it :no:

This approach will get exposed eventually.

If India goes slow, then loses wickets of Rohit and Kohli the game is all but over.

4 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Absolute garbage comments.

Mayank opened the batting on Boxing Day in Melbourne, Australia which is biggest calendar day of Test Cricket world wide and the most intimidating place for any sub continental batsmen.

He batted like he had played all tour, with confidence and bravado.

He is the perfect choice and replacement opener for India given their template of keeping wickets in hand in the first 10 overs.

First understand what the original post was. Yours is a garbage and irrelevant reply.  Test not the same as One day. And world cup not the same as bilaterals test.

The original post was about an inexperienced player dropped staright into the world cup without any sort of preparation by him: mental or technical. Only a genius player can come out good in such situations. 

7 minutes ago, Pollack said:

The original post was about an inexperienced player dropped staright into the world cup without any sort of preparation by him: mental or technical. Only a genius player can come out good in such situations

Unfortunately there's no such player, that I know of in about a dozen WCs thus far.

33 minutes ago, Pollack said:

First understand what the original post was. Yours is a garbage and irrelevant reply.  Test not the same as One day. And world cup not the same as bilaterals test.

The original post was about an inexperienced player dropped staright into the world cup without any sort of preparation by him: mental or technical. Only a genius player can come out good in such situations. 

You are uneducated and that is fine, I will take the opportunity to help and assist you the best that I can. Your post was both immature and lacking the fundamental understanding of what is required of Mayank and why he was bought into the squad.

Test Match cricket on Boxing Day in Australia is the biggest test a SENA batsmen can face in his life. I have traveled and watched India in many countries over various formats so I have some experience here.

Mayank performing on Boxing Day will hold him in good stead to perform at the World Cup. We are not asking him to perform miracles here. Just to hold up one end and rotate the strike so that India can manage their successful template of chasing or setting up a target.

I know you have not watched much cricket in your life so your background is severely limited and handicapped to appreciate the nuances required to perform the role that he needs to undertake for the team.

2 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Test Match cricket on Boxing Day in Australia is the biggest test a SENA batsmen can face in his life. I have traveled and watched India in many countries over various formats so I have some experience here.

Not anymore in fact MCG is a road since late 90's or early 2k, also that was a very slow sluggish pitch much like what we see in many parts of Asia. I don't want to downplay Mayank's achievements but the first 2 tests were much harder on Adelaide & Perth, there's no way MCG or SCG is comparable to those venues & far as tough is concerned - nothing matches facing Clouderson or Woakes under the lights on second day at Lords on a green seamer, when the previous day was washed out completely.

31 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Not anymore in fact MCG is a road since late 90's or early 2k, also that was a very slow sluggish pitch much like what we see in many parts of Asia. I don't want to downplay Mayank's achievements but the first 2 tests were much harder on Adelaide & Perth, there's no way MCG or SCG is comparable to those venues & far as tough is concerned - nothing matches facing Clouderson or Woakes under the lights on second day at Lords on a green seamer, when the previous day was washed out completely.

For starters that MCG pitch had a lot of juice in it on the opening morning, the ball was bouncing and zipping everywhere in that first hour, it always has and always will. Our openers did well to negate the Australia's fast bowlers.

The conversation is not about pitch difficulty per se, but rather the combination of the importance of the match, the opposition, the location and what was at stake and the relevance of the match and the opener making his international debut on foreign soil. All these variables contribute to the intense pressure and heat that Mayank was placed under which he succeeded. I would argue that it will be far greater than opening the batting than in any World Cup match bar the Final.

Of course there are many more challenging pitches out there. The discussion is can Mayank be placed straight into a World Cup team and perform a role. The answer is yes. The Melbourne Test would have given him the experience to appreciate what is required.

With all that said, Mayank needs to get a few games in before we reach the Final (if we do).

4 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

For starters that MCG pitch had a lot of juice in it on the opening morning, the ball was bouncing and zipping everywhere in that first hour, it always has and always will. Our openers did well to negate the Australia's fast bowlers.

Bouncing & zipping as compared to what, Kotla or traditional Oz pitches? If you think the latter then try the first day at both Perth & Adelaide - they were so much worse. He played well for sure, however you seem to be making the occasion bigger & tougher than it actually is! The tests at Lords & Joburg were both bigger occasions & in much tougher conditions IMO, not to mention the absence of Smith/Warner made a huge impact.

38 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Bouncing & zipping as compared to what, Kotla or traditional Oz pitches? If you think the latter then try the first day at both Perth & Adelaide - they were so much worse. He played well for sure, however you seem to be making the occasion bigger & tougher than it actually is! The tests at Lords & Joburg were both bigger occasions & in much tougher conditions IMO, not to mention the absence of Smith/Warner made a huge impact.

You are not making any sense, nor have you understood what Mayank had to endure, the most challenging of circumstances for batsman arguably.

Seriously this is embarrassing with your lack of understanding. Reread my post and slowly try and understand and comprehend the points being raised.

You have gone off irrelevant and useless tangents not making any incoherent sense, you are ranting on subject matter that is not what is being discussed. Take a seat back, your arguments raised are futile and actually are a response to a question that is not being discussed.

Edited by SRT100
11 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

You are not making any sense, nor have you understood what Mayank had to endure, the most challenging of circumstances for batsman arguably.

You said the MCG test is the biggest, most challenging situation/occasion for any upcoming batman, which is unarguably false. The WC final is the biggest event in cricket, at least for India & many other nations. Secondly the MCG pitch itself has been far from challenging in the last few decades. Thirdly we had much worse conditions & pressure in the 2 tests I mentioned. Lastly the absence of Smith & Warner made a huge difference to the scoreline, I bet if they were there India would be facing a 2-0 deficit in MCG & then Mayank or no Mayank wouldn't have made a difference

11 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Seriously this is embarrassing with your lack of understanding. Reread my post and slowly try and understand and comprehend the points being raised.

How about you stop making stuff up, MCG test is nowhere near the toughest condition for most batters out there? FFS Cook plundered a double there last time!

57 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Of course there are many more challenging pitches out there. The discussion is can Mayank be placed straight into a World Cup team and perform a role. The answer is yes. The Melbourne Test would have given him the experience to appreciate what is required.

The answer is maybe, not a YES :hmpf:

In tests you can play yourself in, here you not only have to preserve your wickets but also score against peak Starc, Cummins et al.

Edited by R!TTER