The Ashes (2019)

2 minutes ago, JourneyMan said:

It's all over. Looking forward to the team selection at the oval. I would replace Warner with Bancroft or Khawaja and give Mitchell Marsh a go as well as a replacement for Wade or Head.

As for England, they should start looking for a replacement for Roy and possibly Buttler as well. 

England should easily replace Joe Denly, Roy...Butler and Bairstow don't seem to have the quality against good teams.. as for bowlers.. I don't see any quality there.. Archer is too inexperienced while broad hasn't been great on his home pitches 

This is basically the same team that India defeated minus Smith and Warner althought the latter has been a non-factor in the Ashes. India won 2-1 and perhaps could have won the last test if weather had not intervened. However, my gut feeling it would not have been a series win if Smith was playing. Such is the force of this "modern day Bradman." On the same token, credit needs to be given where it is due, without the presence of Pujara who played a mammoth series India would not have won either due to lack of runs on the board. Rat did not contribute to any of the wins. 

5 hours ago, Audiophile said:

This is basically the same team that India defeated minus Smith and Warner althought the latter has been a non-factor in the Ashes. India won 2-1 and perhaps could have won the last test if weather had not intervened. However, my gut feeling it would not have been a series win if Smith was playing. Such is the force of this "modern day Bradman." On the same token, credit needs to be given where it is due, without the presence of Pujara who played a mammoth series India would not have won either due to lack of runs on the board. Rat did not contribute to any of the wins. 

That is not true. His 80+ runs and partnership with pujara in Melbourne, is one of the reason why we won that series. However, his performance in the series on the whole has been underwhelming.

5 hours ago, Audiophile said:

That is not true. His 80+ runs and partnership with pujara in Melbourne, is one of the reason why we won that series. However, his performance in the series on the whole has been underwhelming.

13 hours ago, Vk1 said:

England should easily replace Joe Denly, Roy...Butler and Bairstow don't seem to have the quality against good teams.. as for bowlers.. I don't see any quality there.. Archer is too inexperienced while broad hasn't been great on his home pitches 

Disagree about the bowling, Broad has just had one of his best series. Archer is young but dangerous. Roots biggest mistake was underbowling and eventually dropping Woakes. 

Outside of Smith and Labuschagne nobody really dominated the bowling. 

Regarding the batting I mainly agree except for Denly who was not too bad overall. I would give him some more games.

46 minutes ago, JourneyMan said:

Disagree about the bowling, Broad has just had one of his best series. Archer is young but dangerous. Roots biggest mistake was underbowling and eventually dropping Woakes. 

Outside of Smith and Labuschagne nobody really dominated the bowling. 

Regarding the batting I mainly agree except for Denly who was not too bad overall. I would give him some more games.

You compare Broads numbers with Cummins and Hazelwood's impact and they won't account for much. All said , we are probably seeing the worst English side since many decades.. bad English sides earlier used to lose badly in overseas...this pathetic side will continue to lose at home regularly..

15 hours ago, Insidious said:

OK, but he did not put up even half of Smith like performances during the tour. His performances in winning one test in SA and one test in England were critical, but according to the standards expected of him, he flopped in the Aussie tour. Only one century at Perth that too in the first innings. Failed in the second. Pujara and the pace bowlers were the reason we won, and of course, lack of Smith.

One issue with RAT is that he does not have a backfoot shot through extra cover and cover. Something like the backfoot punch that Sachin had. That is why he is always lunging his bat on the front foot to hit through the covers.

Edited by Audiophile
6 hours ago, Audiophile said:

OK, but he did not put up even half of Smith like performances during the tour. His performances in winning one test in SA and one test in England were critical, but according to the standards expected of him, he flopped in the Aussie tour. Only one century at Perth that too in the first innings. Failed in the second. Pujara and the pace bowlers were the reason we won, and of course, lack of Smith.

One issue with RAT is that he does not have a backfoot shot through extra cover and cover. Something like the backfoot punch that Sachin had. That is why he is always lunging his bat on the front foot to hit through the covers.

Virat Kohli doesn't have a good square cut too. And that why he is more vulnerable outside the off stump.

2 hours ago, Insidious said:

Virat Kohli doesn't have a good square cut too. And that why he is more vulnerable outside the off stump.

True. I have seen him square cut against spinners, but rarely against pacers. Actually for someone to be an elite player, it is shocking that he does not a decent backfoot game on the off side.